• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Corrall

NAS

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Our resident Ellises (John and Williams) and others, person included, have commented (repeatedly) that trading Darnold would be extremely difficult because of his cap hit, game tape and the situation around the league.

Basically, everybody knows this, including the team...unless they're delusional.

I misunderstood your original quote then. I thought you were saying that the team outright acknowledged they can’t trade Darnold.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I misunderstood your original quote then. I thought you were saying that the team outright acknowledged they can’t trade Darnold.

Nope. Pretty sure everybody understands it, but that's not something a team would ever say publicly.

From Ellis Williams in The Observer (link)

There is not much of a market for Darnold at the moment. That could change if a quarterback around the league were to get hurt. But the San Francisco 49ers’ Jimmy Garoppolo likely would be moved before a team would show interest in Darnold.

That means Darnold will be with the Panthers for the foreseeable future. The team may need him if Mayfield is named the starter but gets injured. Multiple times this preseason, Rhule has mentioned the importance of depth at every position.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Beer 1

I'm watching the 4th quarter replay and Howell was getting like 4 seconds a throw on average. Corral maybe 1-2. Considering Howell also has had more steady reps in training camp I'm not surprised the optics of this particular game favor Howell.  Next week Corral will still be under pressure from Patriots blitzes but will hopefully be with some actual 2nd stringers and some semblance of an actual game plan to show what he can do

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Sama8525 said:

Y'all are missing a pretty obvious possibility. Rhule and co are hoping they can trade Darnold. Which would make PJ #2 and he'd need the reps. Unless Darnold lights it up a lot more than he's ever shown, there's no reason to have him ever take a panthers snap. PJ though is a passable cheap backup, and Corral has probably more than a year to learn and develop. He won't win us any games this year so it's not urgent to get him a ton of reps. 

At this point I trust PJ more than Darnold. 

But having watched Baker through his career, there's also no reason to think he's not the long term answer. He has all the tools to be an above average starter long term until we find a true superstar. He even could develop into one. Baker can win games. 

Darnold is a superior QB to PJ is every way and it’s seriously not even close…yes I get the stan hate and general hate but really, don’t be embarrassing.

On 8/13/2022 at 4:24 PM, Krovvy said:

I think the main problem right now is he showed nothing in this game. Every facet of his game was bad, which is shocking to fans.

Sam just looked better and seemed to know what to do. I will give him the benefit that it was nerves, but I think we should have taken Sam in the 3rd, but I think Grier left a bad taste in Rhule mouth and picking a hometown fave wasn't in the cards again.

6 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm watching the 4th quarter replay and Howell was getting like 4 seconds a throw on average. Corral maybe 1-2. Considering Howell also has had more steady reps in training camp I'm not surprised the optics of this particular game favor Howell.  Next week Corral will still be under pressure from Patriots blitzes but will hopefully be with some actual 2nd stringers and some semblance of an actual game plan to show what he can do

Did we hear Corral will get more game time / a game plan?

On 8/13/2022 at 3:07 PM, NAS said:

Not the start he wanted, completely lacked composure today.  He should have been allowed to play behind a better offensive line.  He was rattled early and never recovered.  

You know what you have with PJ yet they insist on giving him bulk of the quality reps. 

Better offensive line? Wasn’t he playing against like 3rd string defense? 

On 8/14/2022 at 8:26 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

I just don't understand trading up to take a guy in the 3rd and then treating him like a complete afterthought.

It’s the third..you didn’t trade into the top 10 to get him. You still treat him like a 3rd and clearly 4th place qb on the roster. I almost feel bad for PJ because he’s clearly better than corral and he’s going to be jobless soon. 

Cry cry cry me a river, lol. He is a rookie! Stop with the bashing of PJ Walker please. It is not his fault he understood the assignment. He looked sharp, and he showed good ball placement too. Yes he played with the backups. Yes he put points on the board. That is what he supposed to do. All this looking into crystal balls and praying to whoever you feel will grant your wishes, just stop. PJ knows he is the odd man out the QBs but he is not going without a fight. Besides I will cut whoever lose out of Sam and Baker and keep PJ and Carroll 

9 minutes ago, dynomite said:

It’s the third..you didn’t trade into the top 10 to get him. You still treat him like a 3rd and clearly 4th place qb on the roster. I almost feel bad for PJ because he’s clearly better than corral and he’s going to be jobless soon. 

good, rhule has bankrolled him far too long as it is

• Pie 1

28 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Not sure about a plan but I would expect more of PJ and Corral this week.  I think Rhule said the starters would play less this week because of the joint practices.

Good opportunity to get Corral playing time, especially since I doubt Belichick isn't going to be blitzing in preseason like Rivera was (especially after getting annoyed at Daboll for doing so).

• Pie 1