• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral vs the rest of the rookie field

micnificent28

7 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

Realistically Rhule had no interest in developing him so he had an uphill battle with this staff too.

I don't think it's crazy to imagine carrying 3 QBs in a circumstance where we draft one high in the first next year, though. If (and that's honestly a bigish if) Corral makes off season strides and plays well during camp/preseason he could still make the team and be poised to be the main backup in year 3, regardless of new staff.

It's technically possible, but imo incredibly unlikely, the same general idea could allow him to become starter.

QBs on cheap contracts have a lot of value, and while Corral is a project now, he'll be much less of one next year. And he will at minimum get a chance to perform in camp / preseason. I think a new coach is likely but Fitterer will likely still be here, so I think Corral will have one advocate still. 

I think his future will be determined by three things:

1. The new coaching staff.

2. If we re-sign Baker Mayfield.

3. Our draft position in the first round.

Any individual one of those factors going against him could push him pretty far down the depth chart. Now, I will say that if we decide to resign Baker to a long term deal, a great deal of pressure for him to develop may immediately disappear. So, in theory he could be a long term #2 QB that gets better and better. That would be a home run for a 3rd round pick QB.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It's possible.  But on the flip side, look at what's happening with Kellen Mond right now.  He was a 3rd round pick, drafted a year before Matt Corral.  He was talked up big going into the draft by Chris Simms, but he did not look good at all last year.  The Vikings have a new coach this year and there is talk of Mond being released.  That's not even 2 full seasons on the roster for a 3rd round QB.  And the only decent QB they have on the roster is Cousins.

Yep, there are no guarantees when a new staff rolls in

• Pie 2

On 8/28/2022 at 1:04 AM, rippadonn said:

The hit job continues. Corral is the most accurate QB in the room.

Example, fade drill. Nobody hit it until Corral swished it twice and almost hit it a couple more times, very close.

I watched Sam/Baker/PJ not as close as Corral. Baker hit it once a day or two later.

No Corral didn't look good first game the line in front of him was atrocious. If you couldn't see him and PJ getting crunched up between good plays you weren't watching the third string line.

I don't see how a third string lineman being put on skates into his feet is his fault or is a display of anything but Matt Rhules continued foolishness.

People act as if there was a real opportunity to see Corral play. Sam/Baker/PJ had more reps. Nobody has said he's gotten more reps than any of those guys.

The curse of Gretzky continues for this young man. The draft was f'd up, Pickett jumped better players but now even after the draft he got into the absolute worst situation to play, just the opposite, Rhule on cue choked out his once bright career trajectory into nothing because he's not his love Kenny Pickett so he didn't matter.

Why not showcase him? Even a little? We barely saw the guy, on purpose, that was never the plan. It was another teams QB, again.

Why couldn't we see him behind the second team or first team line? He didn't want you to. You wouldn't want Baker, Baker, Baker after that.

For the sake of clarity.... You're saying Corral is better than Mayfield and Rhule knows this so he is intentionally holding him back? Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?

2 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It's possible.  But on the flip side, look at what's happening with Kellen Mond right now.  He was a 3rd round pick, drafted a year before Matt Corral.  He was talked up big going into the draft by Chris Simms, but he did not look good at all last year.  The Vikings have a new coach this year and there is talk of Mond being released.  That's not even 2 full seasons on the roster for a 3rd round QB.  And the only decent QB they have on the roster is Cousins.

Fair point, but Mond has actually played some, while next year will essentially be Corral's first full preseason, assuming he doesn't get injured again.  From what I have seen watching the NFL all these years is that cutting a guy in Corral's situation in a new coaches first year doesn't normally happen.  

47 minutes ago, The Natural said:

For the sake of clarity.... You're saying Corral is better than Mayfield and Rhule knows this so he is intentionally holding him back? Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?

Not only that, but specifically because Rhule is bitter and resentful that he's not Kenny Pickett (who Rhule could have drafted at 6 if he wanted to).

We were never going to start a rookie, as we wanted to see two veterans battling it out. Baker is waaaaaay better than Corral would have been this year even if he got half the reps.

Corral was never going to be ready to start. Would have loved to see him get more time obviously, but even in his limited time I would have liked to see a splash play, just something. However we have no idea how he will turn out long term. He has all the tools.

• Pie 1

On 8/27/2022 at 10:28 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm gonna be honest, this just reads like copium. Ballers ball. Even when put in bad situations they find a way to show they belong.

Corral simply didn't look like an NFL player. He needs a LOT of work but he's not gonna get any on IR.

Not good.

Well, well, well... looks there

"That kid, he's a baller," Patterson said. "I've been watching Sam since college when he was at UNC. His future's bright. He just keeps doing what he's doing. I think he's going to be a problem in this league."

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-sam-howell-jaret-patterson-preseason-baltimore-ravens-carson-wentz

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

"That kid, he's a baller," Patterson said. "I've been watching Sam since college when he was at UNC. His future's bright. He just keeps doing what he's doing. I think he's going to be a problem in this league."

https://www.si.com/nfl/commanders/news/washington-sam-howell-jaret-patterson-preseason-baltimore-ravens-carson-wentz

I can't understand why he fell to the 5th?  I mean he was in talks for the top 10 after he previous year and still put up a solid final year with not much help from his teammates.  I thought he would be a late 1st/early 2nd at worst.  Imagine him getting most reps with the starters and playing behind that nice OL in Washington if he was picked that high.  

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Do we really need to bring teammate praise into this 😂 you know how many players have praised Sam Darnold in our locker room?

No doubt Howell has looked good in the preseason, I think we can probably let his performance speak for itself.