• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

baker is a franchise quarterback

PhillyB

29 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

I give Baker zero blame.  

ZERO!!

Baker's interception was definitely a bad one. He is not without blame.

Baker's going to have to play much better than he did.today before I proclaim him as our future. I didn't see anything different than I've always seen from Baker. His consistency is lacking and his decision making is still suspect until it isn't. 

In my opinion, some Panthers' fans just want a franchise QB so bad, that they've mentally lowered their expectations.

I'm not saying Baker can't be a franchise QB, but today's play is not what I'd consider fitting for a franchise-level QB in today's NFL. He simply has to do better. No cap!

Edited by top dawg

The offense was not balanced the first half and it played to CLE strengths. When they incorporated the run, and stopped relying on short-passing, it opened up the offense more, and prevented CLE from just rushing the passer. 

It was Mayfield's first game with this team, after being acquired late, with a QB competition and OL competition delaying chemistry. 

It could have remained ugly in the second half and it didn't. 

Mayfield had a game winning drive that the refs took away at the end (and a good kick by the rookie.) 

• Pie 4

5 minutes ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

The offense was not balanced the first half and it played to CLE strengths. When they incorporated the run, and stopped relying on short-passing, it opened up the offense more, and prevented CLE from just rushing the passer. 

It was Mayfield's first game with this team, after being acquired late, with a QB competition and OL competition delaying chemistry. 

It could have remained ugly in the second half and it didn't. 

Mayfield had a game winning drive that the refs took away at the end (and a good kick by the rookie.) 

There is no room for logic on this board, dude.

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Baker's going to have to play much better than he did.today before I proclaim him as our future. I didn't see anything different than I've always seen from Baker. His consistency is lacking and his decision making is still suspect until it isn't. 

In my opinion, some Panthers' fans just want a franchise QB so bad, that they've mentally lowered their expectations.

I'm not saying Baker can't be a franchise QB, but today's play is not what I'd consider fitting for a franchise-level QB in today's NFL. He simply has to do better. No cap!

Way too critical at this point. This was his first game in this system and he has only been here a few months. What you need for a franchise QB is a guy who make plays when the game is on the line. He has heart and fire and that is something you have or you don't. Like Cam and Jake you can't teach it. The offense is going to get better but Baker is a competitor and that is what we need.

• Pie 3

Just now, top dawg said:

In my opinion, some Panthers' fans just want a franchise QN so bad, that they've mentally lowered their expectations.

Fair, that pick was bad.  But I can accept an oopsie-daisy over bad play.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Way too critical at this point. This was his first game in this system and he has only been here a few months. What you need for a franchise QB is a guy who make plays when the game is on the line. He has heart and fire and that is something you have or you don't. Like Cam and Jake you can't teach it. The offense is going to get better but Baker is a competitor and that is what we need.

It's nothing I didn't say before he was signed. Furthermore, I don't think it's too critical. Mayfield has a body of work that didn't begin today. Heart and fire is only going to take you so far. Franchise QBs have that and then some.

• Beer 1