• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Tepper trying to humiliate Rhule?

firefox1234

It’s probably starting to look obviously to Tepper that Rhule fleeced him in my opinion. Is there a possibility that Tepper has started to see this and wants to punish Rhule by keeping him on and letting him keep losing like he is? 

I know it’s illogical since it’s cutting the nose to spite the face but Rhule’s embarrassing showing this past three years has me clutching straws.

It's some serious self ownage if he is. Rhule will be fine. Once Tepper fires him he'll likely have another college job pretty quickly. Probably not a powerhouse program. Hell, maybe not even a P5 program. But he'll have no problem getting another college job.

I just think Tepper is really struggling to come to grips with him being so sold on this guy that he gave him a ludicrous contract and amount of organizational control and he proved to be very, very wrong. He's struggling to swallow that bitter pill.

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've had a few different versions of tinfoil hat type questions, but my answer is the same to all of them.

There's no conspiracy.

Rhule is just that bad.

I think you meant to say Tepper is that bad right?

Im not questioning how incompetent Rhule is but trying to figure out the motivations for Tepper in keeping Rhule. Is simply hubris or maybe the scenario I’ve painted here….

Just now, firefox1234 said:

I think you meant to say Tepper is that bad right?

Im not questioning how incompetent Rhule is but trying to figure out the motivations for Tepper in keeping Rhule. Is simply hubris or maybe the scenario I’ve painted here….

Tepper was gullible enough to hire him in the first place.

He may also have been gullible enough to believe that Rhule's magical third year turnaround was actually going to happen.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

It's some serious self ownage if he is. Rhule will be fine. Once Tepper fires him he'll likely have another college job pretty quickly. Probably not a powerhouse program. Hell, maybe not even a P5 program. But he'll have no problem getting another college job.

I just think Tepper is really struggling to come to grips with him being so sold on this guy that he gave him a ludicrous contract and amount of organizational control and he proved to be very, very wrong. He's struggling to swallow that bitter pill.

This is my guess too. As a billionaire hedge fund guy you probably have a lot of trust in your instincts and ability to read people. Watching your instincts lead you to being fleeced by a guy like Rhule probably stings quite a bit.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I agree.  If Tepper was smart, he would realize that people would have a lot more respect for him if he admitted his mistake, and corrected it.  It really is the elephant in the room....everyone knows he messed up...just come clean and move on.  This team has some good players...get the right coach, and they could be competitive.  

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Jerry Richardson always trusted the wrong people.

Unfortunately, it looks like David Tepper has the same problem.

The question is whether there will ever come a time when he understands that or is willing to admit it.

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

We've had a few different versions of tinfoil hat type questions, but my answer is the same to all of them.

There's no conspiracy.

Rhule is just that bad.

Yep.  And Tepper went into a pointless season.  It always felt that way and that is what we are getting. 

• Pie 1