• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Don't fire Matt Rhule yet.

TheWiz

2 minutes ago, TheWiz said:

No. More. College. Coaches.

I agree.  The reference I made to college jobs was Rhule getting one to offload his (ridiculous) salary.

I want a college coach here as much as I want a root canal and lobotomy.  Although after watching Rhule, the lobotomy does have a comforting sound to it.

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, CarolinaLivin said:

Steve wilks at head coach… Ben still calling plays? Or is someone else just gonna come out the blue and switch up the entire offense mid-season? I just don’t see it. And its not like the players hate rhule he hasn’t lost the locker room so would that really add motivation? Its just an L of a season

This is legit. But changes do motivate people. Steve Wilks at interim coach... and Sam Darnold at QB could get 3 more wins for this team. 

Go Away GIF

It's really about cutting losses at this point, literally...  anything to the contrary is the sunken cost fallacy.  The longer he stays, the deeper the hole gets that we have to climb ourselves out of and the bigger the cloud that hangs over the franchise...  and that can't be understated.  That is hard to work your way out of.  Really hard.  It takes a special coach to come in and be able to turn a culture around where the team he is inheriting has won only about 25% of their games over the last three years.  If Rhule stays, we'll be down to below .200, IIRC.  Now sure, at that point, a #1 overall QB will help, but that's only if you actually hit on them...  so you really need to play this like that's not a given and see what you can do in terms of scheme and changes this year by firing Rhule and seeing what parts of the roster are salvageable.  The record is irrelevant.

And as an aside, I had to attend my grandmother-in-law's funeral services yesterday with my wide and children,  then spent the day with her family afterwards.  We didn't get home til late, and I barely checked anything to do with our game.  It was the first game which I've missed the entirety of since the inception of our franchise.  And amazingly, it felt really good.  I was already long detached from emotions since last season, but I was still invested.  I still spent hours discussing a whole lot of nothing here after every game, including this season, when I already know what the outcome will be and how it will play out.  It was so refreshing to spend the day having meaningful interaction with loved ones then brooding over what we all already know will happen with this team every Sunday under this abhorrent regime (Tepper included). 

Canning Rhule is the first step to winning the fans back and turning this thing around.  And again, the longer they string this out with him, the more damage is done and the longer it will take to repair it for the next staff.  And honestly, the longer he stays, the more likely it is the entire roster will have to be overhauled because once the young, talented leaders of this team (think Burns, Chinn, etc.) get tainted with this losing, sometimes they can't ever get out of it and won't last through a new staff coming in.

8 minutes ago, Sgt Schultz said:

I agree.  The reference I made to college jobs was Rhule getting one to offload his (ridiculous) salary.

I want a college coach here as much as I want a root canal and lobotomy.  Although after watching Rhule, the lobotomy does have a comforting sound to it.

I think if they fire him, he gets the full boat...even if he does sign a big college contract.

Certainly could be wrong though.

I am, like everyone else here, ready for Matt Rhule to be fired. He should have been fired after last season's disastrous 7 game losing streak to finish the season. But alas, here we are with another disaster season incoming. 

I agree that it's not the right time to fire him. It's too early in the season and there's really not much to be gained from waiting until at least December. 80% of the staff are guys who are connected to Rhule in some way, so even if you fire Rhule, there's still a vast majority of the staff that are loyal to him. They obviously won't be cleaning house mid-season, so I'm not sure what's to be gained there. There needs to be at least a skeleton crew to coach on gameday. 

This season is going to finish ugly either way. I don't see how letting Steve Wilks or Ben McAdoo ride this ship into the depths of hell is any better than just letting the guy who got us here do it. The captain should go down with his ship. 

Next season I really hope the vibe around this team is different. Tepper has made some massive mistakes, and they seem to be compounding (Tepper should understand how that works). A highly drafted rookie QB with an NFL caliber coaching staff could really bring the fanbase back. 

2 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

I think if they fire him, he gets the full boat...even if he does sign a big college contract.

Certainly could be wrong though.

NFL coaching contracts always contain "offset language."  Unless Tepper did something incredibly stupid (possible, especially with Hurney involved), it is a one-for-one offset of his college salary against his Panthers salary.  And just like collecting unemployment, he can't sit on his butt and watch reruns of Gilligan's Island and collect the money.  He has to attempt to find a job.

I read something the other day saying this was indeed the case with Rhule's contract, but where the author got the information was not clear.  He could have made it up.

Normally NFL coaching contracts like personal services contracts.  Al Davis one time threatened to have a coach he fired wash his car while he was under contract.  I don't think he did it, but contractually he might have been able to.

• Pie 1