• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I bet Tepper has already called Sean Payton

hepcat

https://www.wcnc.com/article/sports/nfl/panthers/carolina-panthers-hypothetical-betting-odds-2023-head-coach-if-matt-rhule-gets-fired/275-a16540cb-2cf8-47d6-a055-6d072480c156

Payton is already the Vegas odds favorite to be the next coach of the Panthers.

I have no doubt that Tepper is ready to open up his wallet to hire a proven offensive coach to right the ship. 

Personally I'm against it because I don't think Payton has the same motivation to prove himself as he did early in his career with Brees. He'd just be an older has-been collecting a fat paycheck from a former division rival of his. 

I feel the same way about Dan Quinn.

I'd like to see a younger, hungry coach from a good organization come in and build it up. Demeco Ryans should be a serious candidate. Ken Dorsey is probably too young and inexperienced, but I think he deserves an interview. There are still some good assistants on the Rams that could be worth interviewing as well. 

I hope Tepper takes this interview process more patiently than he did the last one. He didn't even get through interviewing all the candidates he had scheduled before he hired Matt Rhule. Kevin Stefanski and Josh McDaniels were scheduled to interview after they made an offer to Rhule in January 2020. 

• Pie 1

No way can we afford another up and coming young unproven commodity (see Matt Rhule). It is time for some NFL experience, this fan base needs it desperately. That was the worst home game I have ever attended. It was almost as bad as any Steelers games in Charlotte. The amount of Red jerseys was staggering. Although, the guys parachuting in the stadium was awesome, (one guy landed on his a$$, ouch)

Edited by philit99

I think Payton would have plenty of motivation. Of course he would want to embarrass the Aints and then he would want to prove he can win with a different team. Hated him in NO but wouldn’t mind seeing him in black n blue.

If we go somewhere else I definitely don’t want some young up and coming assistant who has one year of success. I want a guy who has a proven record of success and is offense minded.

• Beer 1

My interest in Payton is very dependent on one thing.... what is his contract situation like with the Saints?

Is he free to take any job he wants this offseason or do the Saints still own his rights for another year and we'd have to work out a trade for him?  

As I'm not willing to give the Saints any draft picks to get him, we can't keep giving up our picks, even for a great coach (and it's unknown if he's still that great without a prime Brees anymore).

As much as I'd like to get that next McVay type, that comes with a big risk if they don't work out.  I'm still very much on the Dan Quinn train, he has HC experience and has taken a team to a SB, his defense has been ELITE in Dallas as well.  Hire Quinn with the stipulation that he hires a young OC and completely hands the offense over to them and doesn't hover over everything they do like Rivera used to do.

The one thing I do know is that we better not even interview Bieniemy... he's clearly not a HC yet for a reason, long been rumors that his players hate playing for him and he clearly doesn't have a good relationship with Mahomes, not what you want in a new HC.

My sleeper favorite..... Steelers fire Tomlin and we scoop him up before someone else does.  Great coach, clearly just time for a change in scenery, his players love playing for him, seems like it would be an Andy Reid type of situation when he went from Philly to KC and it's worked out for them.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Beer 1