• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Person: Rhule ran the team at times "like his personal kingdom"

Mr. Scot

I don't think Rhule ever had a chance. He wasn't cut from the right kind of cloth to be an NFL head coach. Sean Payton gave a great interview on Colin Cowherd's show yesterday about the differences between being a college head coach and coaching in the pros. 

He mentioned in college, the responsibilities go way beyond just coaching football players. You have to talk to the parents of the players, you have to recruit, you have to deal with boosters. You're not really as much a football coach as you are a people manager. And maybe Matt Rhule is good at those things. But one thing is abundantly clear, he's not a good football coach. 

In the NFL, you have to be more of a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in your field. Whether that is offense, defense, quarterbacks, special teams, etc. Matt Rhule was not a SME in literally anything football related, and he was poor at identifying people who were.

His job wasn't to manage the social media, the training room, or to put ping pong tables out. His job was to coach NFL football players on football related matters. He failed. 

• Pie 5

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I said it before, but I rarely wish ill will on someone once they leave the organization, but Rhule is the exception.  He knew he was in over his head, and yet he continued to take down our franchise with him.  If you had any dignity about yourself, admit you can't do it, which was a fair thing to do at the least, by the end of next season, and don't bring unnecessary suffering to others.  But nope...  he decided to make us his casualties, and for that, I wish him nothing but professional failure moving forward.  People might not like that, but he'll be ok...  he'll be making 40 million, so that can cushion the old pride.  

And if your speculation happen

ed to be true, scot, that he tried to get rid of "keep pounding" in favor of his own generic, vanilla, college bullshit, then he go to hell.  The sheer arrogance of it all.

My guess: He believed he could do it. Hell, he probably thought he was.

That might be why when the losing happened this season, he started to look like he was losing control.

And yeah, I think he probably planned to make "The Brand" the franchise slogan.

• Beer 1

17 minutes ago, countryboi said:

It should’ve been easy to see if this wasn’t going to work out. Sadly if he found a halfway decent quarterback he would most likely still be here.

He may well have found three halfway decent QBs here, four or five maybe. He just couldn't let them be who they could be. See, there's only room at the top for one guy and he didn't have the strength of character to let any of the be that guy. Can't develop a QB if you don't want to give that player some control.

And that's why Cam was shown the door. Twice. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Isn't this generally the problem with college coaches in the NFL?

Also, it is amusing the quote someone mentioned from Sean Payton, that the college HC's main job is to manage ppl...Rhule sure did manage Tepper.  Handled him like a HS recruit.

Tepper saying he would use consultants was the best thing I heard yesterday.

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

31 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

Odd timing to say all this now when they had years to write about it 

How could they call out the coach that has that much control, risk losing sources, etc. 

Most of the people that covered the team routinely dropped clues to the disfunction, micro-management, etc. without outright just saying it. 

35 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yeah, gotta figure the tight lid on camp media was from Rhule.

And I'm now more convinced than I was yesterday that the attempt to downplay "keep pounding" came from him as well.

I feel like that came from Tepper. Reports were he thought it was campy and he played that stupid Wolf of Wall Street chest pounding crap in the stadium last year. I could see him idolizing the guy that movie is based on and wishing he would've been alive back then. I feel he came around as a way to reengage the fanbase after the on the field product was so bad, kinda like bringing Cam back.  

30 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

Chicken poo to talk about someone after they left. 

Our media is never going to be the New York media. They are never going to actively challenge anybody. And even the Boston media has always let Belicheat just mumble for twenty years. This is the best we're going to get in Charlotte.

8 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

I feel like that came from Tepper. Reports were he thought it was campy and he played that stupid Wolf of Wall Street chest pounding crap in the stadium last year. I could see him idolizing the guy that movie is based on and wishing he would've been alive back then. I feel he came around as a way to reengage the fanbase after the on the field product was so bad, kinda like bringing Cam back.  

Tep is older than Jordan Belfort, that dude still goes around and does ted talks and stuff.  I love that movie so I looked it up awhile ago, can definitely see Tepper idolizing that “money no matter what” mindset though.  Two peas in a pod.  

I was at the Philly game last season at BoA and remember that McConaughey thing.  I thought it was funny but didn’t realize at the time they were trying to take Keep Pounding away.  Disgraceful. 

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, jackson113 said:

I’ve taken poo for two years wanting Rhule fired. Time to move on. Don’t need some justification piece to make me feel good. He sucked at winning he’s gone. Time to get taste out of our mouths.

this is really interesting topic policing for someone who makes three threads an hour

• The D 1