• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chiefs prepping to make a Move?

ncfan

58 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yeah, I remember Andy Reid abandoning Westbrook and pointlessly going to the pass.  Which has been the Reid way his entire coaching career. 

I mean Westbrook was awesome.  

My buddy was an Eagles fan.  Watching them on short yardage was painful.  McNabb could not throw short passes.  Dirt ball, every time.  Reid refused to run even with Deuce Staley.

15 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I trade DJ Moore all day for the 12 pick in the draft.  He is the most overrated "underrated" receiver imo.  He is great with the ball in his hands, but displays questionable effort and he can disappear through stretches.  He is good, but I take the 12 pick.

I like DJ. I think he could really blossom in a good offensive scheme with strong talent surrounding. He's put up impressive number with some of the worst quarterbacking in the NFL over the past 4 seasons. That said, I'm with you. I'd move him a high 1st round draft choice in heartbeat. It's easier to find a receiver of his caliber in the draft or FA then it is to find a talent like CMAC. Plus, doesn't he have a cap figure over 20mil next season?

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Umm, he drafted LeSean McCoy and had him for four years before he left for KC. McCoy averaged about 60+ receptions a year considering he barely started his rookie year and missed 5 games the other 3 years.

He also had Brian Westbrook for years right before McCoy and he knew how to use him  Westbrook had back to back years with 4000 total yards rushing and receiving. Duce Staley had 2 1000 yard seasons for Reid before Westbrook.

So, in Philly, he had solid RBs/receiving RBs almost the entire 14 years he was there.

Jamal Charles had 3300 total yards and 33 TDs the first two Reid KC years before Charles got hurt and was never the same. Ware and West combined for over 1000 yards rushing in both of Reid’s next two years and then Hunt was drafted in 2017 and was a stud for two years until the incident. Reid just spent a 1st on a RB in 2020 as well.

Sorry, but you couldn’t be more wrong about Reid and RBs. He’s had years where he had meh RBs, but even the. He usually had 1000 yards between the top two guys and the meh guys came after bad injuries (Charles) or off the field incidents (Hunt) where he just didn’t have a stud in the waiting.

CMC would fit really well in that offense looking back at Staley, Westbrook, McCoy, Charles and Hunt. All of them had 1000 yard rushing seasons and caught a lot of balls.

I didn't say he didn't have good RBs though.  Didn't say they didn't produce. 

I said in the end, Andy Reid would always abandon a working run game and go to the pass.   That has always been the knock on him.   He has always struggled to manage the run game.   It's basically the only knock on him. 

I think in the end, if it is about beating the Bills.  DJ Moore would make more sense for Andy Reid given what Reid will do in the end.  4th quarter, Reid is going Mahomes IMO. 

• Flames 1

14 minutes ago, stbugs said:

C’mon. You said Andy Reid hasn’t known what to do with RBs his whole career. Jamal Charles was a stud with Reid until he got hurt, McCoy was, Staley was, Hunt was until the assault and Westbrook was. 4 different RBs in the Pro Bowl and 3 different RBs were 1st team all pro. 16 seasons with a RB having 1200-2000 total yards. That’s success. If Charles doesn’t get hurt and Hunt doesn’t do something stupid, Reid would be known as a RB champion.

Reid had bad playoff luck, until he didn’t. and probably made some incorrect choices. It happens, but he absolutely had RBs produce his entire career.

If Andy Reid has a QB….Andy Reid has proven for years and years managing the run game is an issue for him.   

I doubt in today's NFL, Andy Reid thinks an expensive RB is the key to success.  Check, the Bills, KC, Tom Brady teams.    The passing game is where it is at and that fits what Reid naturally has always leaned toward when it mattered. 

• Beer 1

52 minutes ago, davos said:

McCoy as well.  

CMC in KC with Mahomes, that would be ridiculous.  Could the AFC contenders are in a bidding war...?

If we manage a 1st, I'd be VERY impressed with the finesse.  

That’s hilarious to think if we get a first round pick we’ve finessed a team. 

49 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

chiefs fans on another board think its burns. 

I can see that that’s a way more pressing need a Von Miller type of closer someone who can really put pressure on the QB at crucial moments not Burns strength but they don’t know that lol.

Any trade of a top tier player would need to be tempered with a view of the future.

Brian Burns for instance.  He is and would be suited best for a 34 OLB position.  We are playing him out of place.  With the way we play him, we should not give him top tier money, but if we change to a 34, then maybe we keep him.  Who is to say?  Fitt?

Edited by stirs
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, stirs said:

Any trade of a top tier player would need to be tempered with a view of the future.

Brian Burns for instance.  He is and would be suited best for a 34 OLB position.  We are playing him out of place.  With the way we play him, we should not give him top tier money, but if we change to a 34, then maybe we keep him.  Who is to say?  Fitt?

I would love to see Burns in a 3-4 but the 49ers do pull off that scheme that Snow failed to create here. The personnel on the DL and LBers with the 49ers would have Chinn at SLBer they would have Burns on at LDE. It could work with some personnel tweaks and improvements, just not the old version of it. Watching the 49ers version in our game made me realize that it can be donejust not the weak version Snow tried to run.

No idea what the future holds and I like Burns and outside of a ridiculous offer we should just hold tight and get the new hires done first. 

• Pie 1

While I don't advocate trading Burns because good pass rushers are so valuable and hard to come by, it make more sense than trading McCaffrey for a couple reasons.

1. Burns hasn't signed a big extension so its our one chance to get compensation for him IF we don't plan on resigning him. McCaffrey meanwhile we've already committed a bunch of money to so we'd be spending a lot of money for him to not play for us. There's minimal dead cap for trading Burns and tons for McCaffrey

2. Pass rushers are valued more, so we're more likely to get better compensation for Burns

3. Burns is our one good pass rusher but we've got good contributors throughout our defense and could weather his loss a bit easier than McCaffrey who is 95% of our entire offense.

I don't think we should trade either, but if we can get 2 1sts or a 1st and 2nd for Burns, you could at least justify it. 

https://sportsnaut.com/brian-burns-trade-landing-spots/

Also this is an interesting article. Gives 3 potential trades for Burns. The returns are awesome.

1) Trade to Baltimore for Ojabo (their 2022 2nd rd pick), 2023 1st and 2024 2nd

2) Trade to Seattle for Denver's 1st from the Russell Wilson trade (currently top 10), and both their own 2023 2nd and the 2nd they got from the Wilson trade. Plus Drew Lock

3) Trade to Philadelphia for the 1st they got from New Orleans (currently top 10), Philly's own 1st in 2024 and Andre Dillard

Hell if those are the expected returns and you're not sure Burns is worth $25 million per year in an extension, you definitely need to take those calls.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

58 minutes ago, CRA said:

If Andy Reid has a QB….Andy Reid has proven for years and years managing the run game is an issue for him.   

I doubt in today's NFL, Andy Reid thinks an expensive RB is the key to success.  Check, the Bills, KC, Tom Brady teams.    The passing game is where it is at and that fits what Reid naturally has always leaned toward when it mattered. 

The Bills might not have invested in an "expensive" RB in terms of salary cap, but they clearly do value the running back position considering they've invested either a 2nd or a 3rd round pick in RBs in 3 of the last 4 drafts.  That is pretty damn expensive in terms of draft capital.  

• Pie 2

23 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Of course the passing game is the key right now, no one ever said it didn’t but Reid has had solid RB production for decades. He just used a 1st on a RB due to losing Hunt unexpectedly so I could easily see him being interested in CMC.

Also, when the Chiefs won the recent SB, Damien Williams had 290 total yards and 6 TDs in 3 playoff games. Fournette had over 400 total yards and 4 TDs in 4 games for Brady’s Tampa SB run.

While the passing game is huge, acting like Reid or Brady succeeded with no running game isn’t true. 290 yards and 6TDs out of Damien Williams is knowing how to use a RB and it certainly helped Reid win his first SB.

Brady had 1,000 yard rushers (Antwan Smith and Corey Dillon) for his first 3 SB wins.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Biggest problem with your post is relevance to this situation. 

1. McCaffrey wouldn't be breaking the bank exactly. They'd get him for 3.65 years, $36 million. $10 million per year, zero guarantees, isn't exorbitant for a productive starter on pace for 1900 yards from scrimmage with the worst qb play in the NFL. Also if they're worried about paying him, rent him for a year for less than $1 million en route to the Super Bowl and trade him in the off-season to recoup some of your lost draft picks. I doubt anyone is going to cry over losing pick 32 if they win the super bowl.

2. You talk about how important the passing game is while ignoring the fact that McCaffrey is the best receiving RB in the NFL. If you don't think Andy Reid would salivate at ways to have McCaffrey be a nightmare mismatch in the passing game, I don't know what to tell you.