• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

There's a lot of people saying picking number one doesn't mean much...

Mol3m4n

Its a fuging moot point because players are playing for contracts, coaches are coaching for opportunities elsewhere.

Its always the dumb fans that say "just tank bro its so easy, just dont play your good players"

You end up where you end up in the draft, point blank, period.

Edited by tecc86
  • Pie 8

4 minutes ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

this is revisionist history, there were A LOT of questions about Cam coming out

Yep, Cam wasn’t Peppers.  Lot of doubt.   And frankly none of the people that do the rankings had him #1 until it basically became common knowledge we were going to take a shot on him.  Then they slotted him #1 overall. 

• Pie 1

21 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

I find it funny the past 2 years people here on the huddle were saying how deep this QB class was, now all of a sudden only 2 of them are good.

Yep. I said the same thing the other day

‘next year’s class is always better than this year’s’ per some on here…been that way since 2008. Only the posters names change in time 

• Pie 2

30 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

i agree. people who say the number 1 pick doesnt matter are not very knowledgeable of the game. having your pick of the litter could be the difference between like u said cam or blaine.. or payton manning and ryan leaf... Get your guy first and not pick off the leftovers.

People who think (and are staunch proponents of) tanking aren't very knowledgeable about the game. That's the only reason why the question of the number one pick comes up at this time in the season anyway. Just the thought of intentionally trying to lose goes against everything that is football. If you're going to lose, youre going to do it because your team isn:t good. Players play to win, period!

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 5
  • Poo 1

37 minutes ago, micnificent28 said:

i agree. people who say the number 1 pick doesnt matter are not very knowledgeable of the game. having your pick of the litter could be the difference between like u said cam or blaine.. or payton manning and ryan leaf... Get your guy first and not pick off the leftovers.

So people who disagree just aren’t knowledgeable. Sweet. 

The Browns got their guy a few years back. Now he’s on our team, while two MVP caliber QB’s went after him. 

It’s just not that simple, and tanking in the NFL isn’t the same as the NBA, where #1 truly matters. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, CRA said:

Yep, Cam wasn’t Peppers.  Lot of doubt.   And frankly none of the people that do the rankings had him #1 until it basically became common knowledge we were going to take a shot on him.  Then they slotted him #1 overall. 

I mean even Peppers was “lazy, took plays off, and loved basketball more than football.”

Cam, from a talent standpoint, was undeniable. “Can he make reads” was the question on the field. 

And the rest was “he’s a selfish thug stealing laptops.”

So I get the point, but he had number 1 potential and ability. A lot of criticism was just talk, and even outright hit pieces.

I don’t see that QB in this draft, where the top 2 have huge concerns regarding exceptional supporting talent, and physical limitation. 

• Pie 1

53 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

There isn't a Newton in this year's draft.

Maybe we get lucky and hope for the rare year the top pick at QB turns out to be the best qb. 😆 

Serious question as I don't care for college football: I've heard about this quarterback draft for a couple of years. What happened?

• Poo 1