• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FMIA: Tanking shouldn’t be a dirty word

NAS

4 hours ago, NAS said:

It’s not about trying to lose, it’s about prioritizing the future which Panthers have already done by trading CMC. Knowing that we need to draft a QB in the top portion of the draft, I would rather they don’t win a game or two so they don’t end up needlessly trading away picks to move up.

This is a fan’s and perhaps even a GM’s perspective. A head coach or players always want to win and they should try their best. My hope is that they will do enough to keep hopes for the future but not too much where the future is another 6-11 or 7-10 season in perpetuity because we didn’t tank when it mattered to draft a future franchise QB.

Today’s victory was sweet and team is still in it but let’s be realistic. PJ Walker isn’t a franchise QB and hopefully that means we’re in good positions to draft one in April.

I thought it was against NFL rules to tank.

I  don't know, but if the NFL has fully gotten into bed with sports betting (and believe me they have) then the idea of a team, or teams, actually throwing games for draft positioning is very problematic.

Like 1919 Chicago White Sox (Black Sox) scandal level.

Like Pete Rose level.

Yeah, to get caught tanking would implicate the team, the owner, the coaches and every player who made it to the field on any of the given Sundays.

If you love the game, then you want the competition to stay true. 

• Pie 2

Just now, Khyber53 said:

I  don't know, but if the NFL has fully gotten into bed with sports betting (and believe me they have) then the idea of a team, or teams, actually throwing games for draft positioning is very problematic.

Like 1919 Chicago White Sox (Black Sox) scandal level.

Like Pete Rose level.

Yeah, to get caught tanking would implicate the team, the owner, the coaches and every player who made it to the field on any of the given Sundays.

If you love the game, then you want the competition to stay true. 

wow yeah no I really don’t care at all about what the gambling addicts in Nevada feel

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, trueblade said:

I don't care if you can guarantee me whichever QB we take at one will be an MVP type of guy. I can't root for us to lose to Atlanta. I just can't do it.

but you actually are rooting for them to lose to Atlanta by obsessing over this pointless game