• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coach Wilks

Jai.

5 minutes ago, onmyown said:

I don’t take alt trolls seriously but here is the point -

the best man for the job/new regimen doesn’t so happen to ‘coincidentally’ be Wilks. 

Or Fit.

Or PJ.

That makes no sense but this board acts like this is the future. It’s psychotic. 

Who is to say that the next HC is going to change things?  You're making a huge assumption that our next head coach, whoever you think, is going to automatically be the answer. 

Nailing a head coach like Billicheat, McDermott, Reid or Tomlin is a greater risk than nailing the top QB in a draft.

You act as if changing from Wilks to someone else is a guarantee for success. 

There's an old say "Be careful of what you ask for"

I like Wilks, I like the way he motivates and keeps our players in the game.  Is he the answer, I don't know but, Hiring a new HC doesn't always mean it's the best move. 

For instance, I would have rather kept Rivera, with Fitterer as his GM, than Fhule. Rivera was hamstrung by Marty " I don't know how to draft after the 1st round" Hurney. 

• Pie 4

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Who is to say that the next HC is going to change things?  You're making a huge assumption that our next head coach, whoever you think, is going to automatically be the answer. 

Nailing a head coach like Billicheat, McDermott, Reid or Tomlin is a greater risk than nailing the top QB in a draft.

You act as if changing from Wilks to someone else is a guarantee for success. 

There's an old say "Be careful of what you ask for"

I like Wilks, I like the way he motivates and keeps our players in the game.  Is he the answer, I don't know but, Hiring a new HC doesn't always mean it's the best move. 

For instance, I would have rather kept Rivera, with Fitterer as his GM, than Fhule. Rivera was hamstrung by Marty " I don't know how to draft after the 1st round" Hurney. 

I wonder if the Raiders wish they kept Rich Bisaccia

• Pie 6

3 hours ago, Zappy said:

He better be our coach next year .. fug a 'young offensive mind' .. that's the direction the entire league is basically going but look at Pete Carroll's D up in SEA

I don't understand. If the league is transitioning to young, offensive-minded coaches, then shouldn't we do the same? The time of having an old guy coaching has expired. It's adapt or die. Wilks has done well, I'll admit, but he had his chance as a HC, and he failed. But keep him as the DC.

6 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

He's certainly accomplished more with much less than an coach I coach that I can remember.  I would love nothing more than to see him succeed here.

It would only be fair to allow him be given a chance to pick his coordinators and QB at least to get a shot here. 

To me there's just something unfair about the opportunity he's been given to prove himself here. 

As long as he drafts a QB….IDC. But the reality is that the rookie QBs have done better with offensive minded HCs. Not defensive coaches. 

Pickett - Struggling with defensive minded Tomlin

Willis - Not playing/not impressive defensive minded Vrabel. 

Hurts - Playing really well with O minded Siriani 

Mac Jones - Belichick (defense) - Not great

TUA - Went from D minded Flores to O minded McDaniel…stud now. 

Mahomes - Andy Reid

Herbert - Brandon Staley - Stud

Lawrence - Playing much better under Pederson 

Fields - Still struggling under Eberflus who is a former DC. 

Burrow - Zac Taylor - O minded 

Josh Allen - unicorn but is thriving under McDermott who is D minded 

So of the best young QBs recently..Mahomes, Herbert, Tua, Hurts, Burrow are far and away the best young QBs. They’re all coached by offensive minded HCs. Josh Allen is a Unicorn. Lamar is playing great hut has ups and downs and Harbaugh is neither O nor D. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

I'm with the young, offensive-minded HC approach. Always have been. The reason is they tend to be more aggressive and innovative. I will say that Wilks has been much better than previous regimes with getting the best guys on the field. No politics or undeserved loyalty. Just best man up. Learns from past weeks' mistakes and adjusts at halftime. And holds guys accountable. Got an attitude problem - gone. Not performing up to NFL standards - reduced playing time until you're ready. Is he the long term answer? Can't know after 2 weeks, but he's damn sure going in the right direction. 

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, Xtreme said:

I don't understand. If the league is transitioning to young, offensive-minded coaches, then shouldn't we do the same? The time of having an old guy coaching has expired. It's adapt or die. Wilks has done well, I'll admit, but he had his chance as a HC, and he failed. But keep him as the DC.

McDermott and Salah are defensive minded coaches.  Who's to say you can have a young offensive minded coordinator?  If he gets hired away, you bring up one of his assistances and go from there. 

The head coach is over both offense and defense.  On game day he is overseeing the entire game.  The offensive coordinator is calling the plays.    

IMO as long as you have a good OC you are ok.  Buffalo is a prime example.   McDermott is defensive yet has probably the most potent offenses in the NFL. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

He's certainly accomplished more with much less than an coach I coach that I can remember.  I would love nothing more than to see him succeed here.

It would only be fair to allow him be given a chance to pick his coordinators and QB at least to get a shot here. 

To me there's just something unfair about the opportunity he's been given to prove himself here. 

And yet, there he is out there just killing it. Give that man a contract!

Honestly, it's too early to say that but he is, without a doubt, showing that he's a much better coach than Rhule. He's more competitive with fewer stars on the field. Those men will go to war for Steve Wilks.