• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If he were to be shopped this off-season , would you pick up the phone?

TheCasillas

3 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I saw in a CBS mock draft that Richardson is expected to go in the top 10 now. Who knows... its only November.

Which is fine if you believe in his talent and your ability to develop him. I just don't think you can count on him playing as a rookie. This isn't a Cam Newton situation. He's a lot rawer than that.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

We wouldnt take on the salary due to the gaurantees in the contract. Also, he is a 3x pro bowler. I just dont see how is project...   

Also, what do you mean he has plenty of weapons? He has Devante Adams.... Renfrow and Waller are on IR, and have played in only 4 games. Who else are you considering are his weapons?

Devante Adams is arguable the best WR in the league. Look at the Packers with and without him. Waller is hurt, but he had him before this year, he has had Cooper in his prime as well. Renfrow is a solid slot and Jacobs has been a great RB. That’s a solid supporting cast in my opinion. I believe this issue this year is the OL not the weapons right?

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

Devante Adams is arguable the best WR in the league. Look at the Packers with and without him. Waller is hurt, but he had him before this year, he has had Cooper in his prime as well. Renfrow is a solid slot and Jacobs has been a great RB. That’s a solid supporting cast in my opinion. I believe this issue this year is the OL not the weapons right?

I just paroosed the Raiders reddit and message board... sounds like the lack of weapons, inconstent playcalling, and lack of protection. Their offense is in shambles.  Most of the message board is defending Carr and blaming McD.

https://www.raiderfans.net/forum/showthread.php?7092-Carr-Emotional-At-Postgame

https://www.raiderfans.net/forum/showthread.php?7090-Rumor-Raiders-To-Move-On-From-Carr-For-CJ-Stroud-Ohio-State

1 hour ago, t96 said:

Really not a terrible contract. Relatively easy to get out of. Those guarantees would stay with Vegas anyways I believe so we could cut him with no dead money at any point

Same as I was thinking. The numbers aren't cost prohibitive. Nothing higher than a third and something later maybe.

That's a screwy situation that Raiders players are in. McDaniels is on the hot seat, and there are always questions of stability when the coach is trending to be fired. I don't know that there's anything better than Carr though, so he's probably safer than any of them. I think that it would be more likely that he'd ask for a release.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I just paroosed the Raiders reddit and message board... sounds like the lack of weapons, inconstent playcalling, and lack of protection. Their offense is in shambles.  Most of the message board is defending Carr and blaming McD.

https://www.raiderfans.net/forum/showthread.php?7092-Carr-Emotional-At-Postgame

https://www.raiderfans.net/forum/showthread.php?7090-Rumor-Raiders-To-Move-On-From-Carr-For-CJ-Stroud-Ohio-State

I don't blame Carr either, but I think he is a 31 year old mid level guy that will be in a new system again with a new staff.  I don't think that's the way to go for our franchise.  If we can land him cheap, he could make a good bridge QB as someone already mentioned and give our rookie time to develop, but I don't see that happening. 

Our roster is set for a rookie QB to develop (good young OL, solid running game, decent weapons in Moore and possibly TMJ, young pieces on defense in Chinn, Horn, Brown, and Burns).  Since our cap is shitty next year, a rookie contract would be great at the QB position.  Then once he has a year under his belt, our cap should be wide open to fill in missing pieces for a playoff run over the next few year.  That's just the path that I kind of see in my head right now and I think Fitts has said several times he believes in trying to draft and develop a franchise QB.  

5 minutes ago, Pakmeng said:

His guarantees are low but his base salary is high.  This makes him easy for them to get rid of but doesn't make it a good contract for a team who trades for him. 

That's exactly what you want in a contract as a franchise. Because that means there is tremendous contract flexibility and you can move on at no cost. However, if he were traded for, the contract would be something that would be addressed on the day 0. That's typically how all this stuff works.

Carr is an MVP-caliber QB when playing in a functional NFL offense under a functional NFL coaching staff. I hate it for him... after he held it down last year with all the poo they went through as a team, and he never let go of the wheel... he steered them right out of storm after storm - from the Gruden poo, to Ruggs, etc., his leadership was admirable and exemplary.  And again, his ability is MVP-caliber, and that's not just me talking, that's from guys who have played and coached the pro game.  Just sucks Davis' dumbass hired fuging McDaniels and completely wasted a year of those guys' careers.  I still can't fathom how McDaniels has ever been coveted or given another chance after the Denver shitshow and then backing out of the Colts' job.  Dude is a horrible, and I mean horrible HC - as most Belichick branches are, but he is especially horrible.

All that being said...  yes, I absolutely would be interested if they were to move him.  This would not be Darnold or Mayfield...  Carr is legit.  But, it really would depend on the asking price.  Even though Carr is a bona-fide franchise QB, and we know would not fail like the two scrubs we traded for previously, it still would be a really hard sell to the fanbase to do it 3 years in a row after what happened the first two times.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

He might be that, and I think most would agree he's better than Darnold or Mayfield.

But then how do you sell going that route to the fans of the team that already went after Darnold and Mayfield? 😕

Wait, who wouldn't agree that he's better than Darnold or Mayfield?

He's a Top 10, Top 15 QB in this league - that's a damn sight better than anything we've had for a looooooong time. 

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

We are not a qb away. You cannot imagine/create a winning record out of thin air. Stop trying to create shortcuts Rhule. 

We're a good QB away from being competitive every week.

We're another good pass rusher away from being a problem.

McDaniels is the north end of a southbound horse as a HC.  Denver should have fired him a month after they hired him, prior to playing a single game.  He claimed to have learned from that experience, but everything I have read and the results indicates he is the same guy.  I guess his goal is to ruin the entire AFC West, team by team.  My guess is he worked out in NE as an OC because Hoodie kept his thumb on him and limited him to developing game plans and calling plays.

I would be interested in Carr.  His contract is interesting, because the time bomb for when the 2023 salary and $7.5M of 2024 convert to guarantees is mid-February.  Prior to then, he costs the Raidahs next to nothing to simply release.  Moral of that story is they need to either work out a deal (and probably eat most or all of his 2023 salary and the 2024 guarantee), or renegotiate it, or shitecan McDaniels (my recommendation, although I would not have hired him in the first place and would always recommend giving him the axe to anybody dumb enough to have hired him), or release him by mid-February.  As that clock ticks, his trade value probably decreases by the week.

Regardless, we need to draft a QB this year (Carr could lower when we need to draft one), and maybe draft another next year.  We have but one on the depth chart for 2023 as of right now.  I think we need a vet to carry the torch/mentor, and that vet is not named Darnold, Walker, and most likely not Mayfield, either. 

That vet could wind up in the backup role, which would be a poor utilization of Carr if it happened.

But if you are looking for a QB to plug in, improve things (substantially) from the position, and move to the next step, Carr can do that.

• Beer 1