• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PJ has sprain. Baker to start.

ChuckWag78

3 hours ago, 45catfan said:

Bingo and why Stroud CERTAINLY and likely Young will be off the board by our pick after 2-4 more wins.  So we are going to hang our hat on Levis/Hooker and Corral?  Nah, won't happen.  So if you loath Baker and/or Sam, sorry, people might want to prepare themselves for one of them to be back.

I can see the preseason roster looking something like this (NOT a depth chart): Baker/Sam, Corral, PJ and rookie QB.

How is it that you know Stroud or Young will be such a success if we get the first couple picks? 

8 minutes ago, YourLastThought said:

How is it that you know Stroud or Young will be such a success if we get the first couple picks? 

I don't, but everyone around here assumes they would be an instant success.  I have my doubts about both.  Honestly, I hope we are out of range of both so it's a moot point.  I want to move back (no lower than about pick #12) and accumulate more picks.

• Beer 1

51 minutes ago, AlphabetsEnd said:

I'd like to believe you, but Mixon was not running well until he played Carolina. Lamar's passing has fallen off, for sure. 

Is Andrews hurt? He is a serious weapon, and our second level defense has not been great. and it'd go a long way to keeping it closer if he's not a factor. 

Andrews sat out the Saints game, but has the potential to return this week. Be sure to check his practice participation throughout the week. 

Curious for those still wondering if Mayfield/Darnold can become a starter…

If they lead us to a winning record over our last 7 games and look like an average starting QB (best possible scenario), what kind of contract you offering them?

Edited by ECHornet

26 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

Curious for those still wondering if Mayfield/Darnold can become a starter…

If they lead us to a winning record over our last 7 games and look like an average starting QB (best possible scenario), what kind of contract you offering them?

I still think Baker can be a good, serviceable quarterback. I don't think he can be the quarterback that could win a shootout against high scoring offenses like the Chiefs. He needs an elite defense behind him. I could see us offering him 2 yr/ 25- 30 million, take it or leave. 

Edited by Cam Lawter
  • Pie 1

11 minutes ago, Cam Lawter said:

I still think Baker can be a good, serviceable quarterback. I don't think he can be the quarterback that could win a shootout against high scoring offenses like the Chiefs. He needs an elite defense behind him. I could see us offering him 2 yr/ 25- 30 million, take it or leave. 

I think that’s too expensive even if he shows well over the end of the season. 

The Steelers gave Trubisky 2 years, ~14 million. That would be acceptable imo, and then still draft a QB to develop.

2 minutes ago, ECHornet said:

I think that’s too expensive even if he shows well over the end of the season. 

The Steelers gave Trubisky 2 years, ~14 million. That would be acceptable imo, and then still draft a QB to develop.

Yeah I was thinking $5M unless he balls out for a few games now that Rhule is gone, and it can get in the $7-10 range that guys like Dalton and Teddy are getting recently. Jimmy G is getting around $7M with another $6M possible in incentives

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I don't, but everyone around here assumes they would be an instant success.  I have my doubts about both.  Honestly, I hope we are out of range of both so it's a moot point.  I want to move back (no lower than about pick #12) and accumulate more picks.

Apparently you and I are on the same page. I am blown away by how many assume those two are a guaranteed sure thing just because they will go 1 or 2 overall. I don't buy it at all and think everyone is nuts. I don't care if we win though also as I believe just as a good a prospect QB could be found later but would be nice to have a higher pick and trade back for some great extra picks.

they also need to avoid trading down, given the statistical and indisputable truth that the farther down the board you go the more likely a player is to fail, they need to avoid picking low

also they need to avoid picking high because those players may not be successful either

if I had my way the team wouldn’t draft anyone so we didn’t have to worry about it

6 hours ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I'd throw Sam in.  Catch 'em off guard.

I have a feeling Wilkes may do that but not this week. Mayfield has played more he gets the nod. 
I want to watch Darnold if only to convince myself there is no way he with him. With the line, with the running game, all that stuff.