• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers roster moves made by Rhule and Fitterer are starting to pay off under Wilks

Ocpanthertew714

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

I would give that distinction to back-in-the-day Gantt (even though he arguably went too far to be negative). Even Gantt now still tells it like it is working for the team. I never got a vibe that he was trying to sell an idea. Here, I get that vibe. That being said, that doesn't make Kaye or Williams bad reporters.

Kaye's not fluffing anybody here. Not his style at all...

Heck, if you follow his Twitter, you'll find quickly that he's one of the more NFL knowledgeable reporters we've had in a while.

37 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Everyone is playing for their jobs including those under contract whether it's here or somewhere else.  Of course they are stepping up their game. 

Normally that's the case. In our case though on think it's just guys getting an opportunity. Getting rid of Anderson help this team in many ways. So did getting rid of CMC. Rhule was a terrible judge of talent and it's showing now. 

• Beer 1

48 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Everyone is playing for their jobs including those under contract whether it's here or somewhere else.  Of course they are stepping up their game. 

And that was rightfully pointed out to the players. Those who get it and stomp the accelerator to work hard for their chances get the opportunity to keep earning a good pot full of money next year.

Those who don't get motivated by it, well, it shows something that we might not have learned otherwise. Best of luck to them in their new endeavors.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Plus it doesn't exactly hurt that the guy who sucked terribly at his head coaching job is gone.

On the suckage scale 1 to 10 with 10 the highest, just how high would you rate Rhule?  Bonus question: Is your rating absolute or just a relative ranking compared to, say, Rivera?

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

So the interim HC who is trying to stay in the NFL is using the guys the very bad HC brought in and wouldn't use and any of this is surprising? Didn't Saturday win his first game coaching at any level in the NFL?

Wilks deserves his due for the good he has done but he is also showing why he shouldn't be considered for the long term job. Friterer is a whole other conversation and no one is sure if it is even worth having until Tepper shows he is at least intends to interview GM candidates. I noticed there was no mention of the Sam trade by Friterer lol.

Fluff peice at best and very propagandish.

I don't fault Fitt for the Sam trade. I mean if you don't have a QB, what are you supposed to do? You've got to turn over all the rocks and look in all the nooks and crannies until you get it solved. Maybe we could have paid less to get him, and I surely think it was a mistake to pick up the option, but there was enough justification to pull the trigger on acquiring him initially, especially given the dearth of options.

• Beer 1

Just now, run-run-pass-punt said:

I don't fault Fitt for the Sam trade. I mean if you don't have a QB, what are you supposed to do? You've got to turn over all the rocks and look in all the nooks and crannies until you get it solved. Maybe we could have paid less to get him, and I surely think it was a mistake to pick up the option, but there was enough justification to pull the trigger on acquiring him initially, especially given the dearth of options.

When you take a new job and they ask you to do a move like the Sam trade you have already made a major mistake. He signed up for that and I do blame him for it even if Rhule was at the top of the blame pile. It's not going away. He way overpaid by any standard. The option was just another mistake at that point that they had to do because of their first huge mistake of overpaying for a QB in a trade. The option pickup just proves that he thought the Sam move was a good move, if there was any question he didn't have to use the option with the franchise tag available and they certainly were talking about that option at the time of the trade with how the options play into long-term planning. There is no way he isn't partly at fault for the Sam trade, he was a part of it whatever size that is and if we will ever know. 

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

When you take a new job and they ask you to do a move like the Sam trade you have already made a major mistake. He signed up for that and I do blame him for it even if Rhule was at the top of the blame pile. It's not going away. He way overpaid by any standard. The option was just another mistake at that point that they had to do because of their first huge mistake of overpaying for a QB in a trade. The option pickup just proves that he thought the Sam move was a good move, if there was any question he didn't have to use the option with the franchise tag available and they certainly were talking about that option at the time of the trade with how the options play into long-term planning. There is no way he isn't partly at fault for the Sam trade, he was a part of it whatever size that is and if we will ever know. 

I understand that view, but imho you've got to pull out all the stops to get a QB when you don't have one. Sam was/is still young, has all the physical tools, and was coming from a dysfunctional organization that may have sullied the true player underneath. I think it was a risk worth taking. When you make player decisions, you're not going to bat 1.000. You've got to make do with what's available and try to form a balanced and fully integrated team with parts that are possible to acquire. But, it's all water under the bridge, in any case.

5 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

I understand that view, but imho you've got to pull out all the stops to get a QB when you don't have one. Sam was/is still young, has all the physical tools, and was coming from a dysfunctional organization that may have sullied the true player underneath. I think it was a risk worth taking. When you make player decisions, you're not going to bat 1.000. You've got to make do with what's available and try to form a balanced and fully integrated team with parts that are possible to acquire. But, it's all water under the bridge, in any case.

He was literally bidding against himself for Darnold.  He got taken by the damn Jets.  Then to extend him needlessly is goddamn criminal

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • The D 1

Just now, run-run-pass-punt said:

Sam had years of tape going back to school that showed why he was a bad option at best. Spend a 2nd or 3rd on a QB? Sure if they are decent. Trade for a guy who is worse than the QB they brought in the year before with multiple picks? That is just a bad job. We also could have had a QB in the draft but they had already committed to Sam. There is no positive in that trade. It's good he did a much better job with Baker but that is again not a great move but a desperate one that just cost less but ended up about the same. 

THIS is an NFL coach. NFL pedigree. All of a sudden this roster is winning games with deficiencies instead of losing these games. Give credit where credit is due, Wilks coaching this team shows up Rhules inability to coach in the NFL.

Wilks is making lemonade here. Not mad. Hopeful. Imagine a Wilks staff, roster, camp, preseason and season. I'm starting to think he's a bargain at 26M 4yrs.

Already knowing a coach can win in the NFL is a huge headstart. It took us three terrible years of decay and embarrassment with Rhule to figure out that even with full autonomy he couldn't coach NFL guys out of a wet paper bag.