• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

from Darin's mailbag re: the 2002 top 3 picks in the draft

rayzor

I mean, it's one draft... We could easily pass up a QB who winds up being a hall of famer because we don't like this class and take a DT or DE or LB who winds up not even being an impact player. We didn't win it all with Pep, so this really doesn't mean a damn thing. We're at the point where we need to keep drafting QBs high in the draft until we hit on one and find our franchise guy.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

I loved Julius, but he didn’t win a single championship here.

If your goal is to have HOF players, great draft the best player.

If your goal is to win, you have to get a QB. The best way to do that is take a chance high (top 15) in the draft.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL except owner profits at this point. I want the right QB, not the 'experts' ranked next up BS. Get a new staff and be realistic about the prospects. Most are not perfect and the best ones usually end up on really bad teams. As long as we avoid trading up on a mega deal then we always have next year to try again. 

• Pie 1

47 minutes ago, rayzor said:

best point i've seen him make in a while.

just something to consider.

i really want us to get a QB in the first round next year...but we have to keep remembering that no first round QB is ever a sure thing, which is especially important to remember in the first few picks. 

go for the sure(st) thing in the draft with the early pick and then use those picks from CMC's trade to come back in and pick up another QB if we like one that is still around. 

I've been saying for a while now that getting a stud DE to pair up with Burns would have a more immediate positive impact on this team with less chance of a let down.

There are soooo many things that can make a QBs transition to the pros a difficult and dicey deal, especially at the top of the draft where there are huge and immediate expectations. Now, a DE like Peppers (okay he was a once in a lifetime player) or even Detroit's Aidan Hutchinson for example can make an impact right off the bat because there are only so many variables to account for as they move into the big league.

There's never a sure bet, but there are smarter ones for sure.

“Drafting a decent one and breaking him” is the most important part of that article to me. We have a good young OL and we need to try to retain Bozeman or draft another center pretty early to replace him. This is also why it’s important to get the right HC and why I’m leaning towards an offensive minded one for some stability for our rookie QB. Several of these QBs could work out, but it’s up to our staff to give them every opportunity to develop properly. 

• Beer 6

9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL except owner profits at this point. I want the right QB, not the 'experts' ranked next up BS. Get a new staff and be realistic about the prospects. Most are not perfect and the best ones usually end up on really bad teams. As long as we avoid trading up on a mega deal then we always have next year to try again. 

Exactly. If XYZ Qb doesn't have the traits necessary to make a successful NFL QB according to your staff and evaluation, take the most impactful player you can or trade back if someone offers you the farm. But that strategy is based on your head guys knowing their poo and well, it's yet to be determined if ours do. 

• Beer 1