• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

from Darin's mailbag re: the 2002 top 3 picks in the draft

rayzor

Who says you can't do both? Take the best player, if it's a defense end so be it.  If there's not a clear cut QB in the top 3 or even the top 10 you have options. You could trade back into the bottom 3rd of the 1st for the QB that you took the defensive player over.

In other words, if there's not an obvious day 1 starting QB in the class that you have a realistic shot at you go defensive end if there is one or a LT. We currently have a LT.

Now for the QB? That's going to depend on the head coach come draft day. By then we may get a clue as to how much capital will be spent to get a qb.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Wundrbread33 said:

That is such a parody of what I said. 

I want a QB as much as anybody. Duh. Who doesn’t? But damn…there are 32 teams and 1 wins it all. And we can’t control any of this poo. 

We’ve had teams that were great to watch with players who were fun. They mean nothing because they don’t have a ring? 

2015 for example, was a better season than most franchises will ever have, Super Bowl or not. Hell of a ride. 

Also that year, we got beat by a stellar defense and a below average QB in Peyton at that age. 

There are many ways to win. I’d love the next Mahomes, but you banking on that? Good luck. 

Yeah!

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, Icege said:

"We didn't win the Super Bowl, so it wasn't worth it" is such a wild response to drafting a HoF pass rusher.

It sure is, logic thinking is a lost art within the current times.

Another is every single #1 QB drafted is going to awful team. There is Joe Burrow and MANY others who never got their awful team much better......Plus given its "superbowl or bust"(focking hell mate), I guess Burrow sucks too and a complete waste of pick.....

Trying to simplify these decision-making processes to such a rudimentary level is stupid. Don't massively reach for a qb you're not sold on over a player at another position that you have graded at the top of your list. But don't bypass a QB when you desperately need one if you have a top grade on them just because you have a better grade on someone else. 

Look at our 2022 draft. Is anyone upset we took Ekwonu over Pickett? Are the QB or bust brigade looking back and thinking that was a stupid decision? Probably not. If our rankings end up as 1. Anderson 2. Young 3. Stroud, and we get our pick of qb or Anderson, the QB is the no-brainer. The real issue is if we have the same rankings plus 34. Levis 44. Hooker or something like that and we're picking 3 with Young and Stroud taken 1 and 2, you should probably take Anderson in that situation. These are all hypothetical of course. If we love one of those other qbs and think he's top 10 material, that's different. 

• Beer 5

46 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Who says you can't do both? Take the best player, if it's a defense end so be it.  If there's not a clear cut QB in the top 3 or even the top 10 you have options. You could trade back into the bottom 3rd of the 1st for the QB that you took the defensive player over.

In other words, if there's not an obvious day 1 starting QB in the class that you have a realistic shot at you go defensive end if there is one or a LT. We currently have a LT.

Now for the QB? That's going to depend on the head coach come draft day. By then we may get a clue as to how much capital will be spent to get a qb.

I believe its like others spot, in a sense you can not force the pick. If you have a QB rated as the 39th best player, then a run on QB happens, do not use the 10th pick or trade up to the 10th for that QB...

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

I believe its like others spot, in a sense you can not force the pick. If you have a QB rated as the 39th best player, then a run on QB happens, do not use the 10th pick or trade up to the 10th for that QB...

Pretty much. I was never a fan of overdrafting a player out of desperation.  I could see it play out similar to the last draft in some respect.  But the college season is not over yet.  Anything can happen between now and the draft. In our case it's guaranteed to be pure bedlam around here.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, Tbe said:

Sorry, the game was different back then.

The whole, “let’s just enjoy a HOF player while enduring terrible offenses waiting 30 years to find a decent 2nd round QB and never having b2b winning seasons” is just as miserable.

The game is fundamentally the same. Peppers was in the league with Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc.

We lost a Super Bowl with Pep, and another one with Cam. The one with Pep was closer, just saying.  

I want Mahomes' clone, but that's likely not in the cards. That being said, you draft the one with the higher draft grade, provided that you can't or don't want to trade down for a plethora of picks. If it's a QB, great; if not, be content.

Edited by top dawg

5 hours ago, rayzor said:

best point i've seen him make in a while.

just something to consider.

i really want us to get a QB in the first round next year...but we have to keep remembering that no first round QB is ever a sure thing, which is especially important to remember in the first few picks. 

go for the sure(st) thing in the draft with the early pick and then use those picks from CMC's trade to come back in and pick up another QB if we like one that is still around. 

In 2017 the Panthers took McCaffrey with the 8th pick...KC took Mahomes with the 10th. Both great players but one has a ring and still plays for the team that drafted him. 

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

In 2017 the Panthers took McCaffrey with the 8th pick...KC took Mahomes with the 10th. Both great players but one has a ring and still plays for the team that drafted him. 

The 2nd pick of the draft....the first QB taken, Mitch Trubisky or however you spell his name. Then there's Desean Watson who was taken two picks after Mahomes who is one of the most talented QBs in the league (but also apparently a horrible human). 

• Pie 1

Just now, rayzor said:

The 2nd pick of the draft....the first QB taken, Mitch Trubisky or however you spell his name. Then there's Desean Watson who was taken two picks after Mahomes who is one of the most talented QBs in the league (but also apparently a horrible human). 

Mahomes was still available when the Bears took Mitch, they just chose wrong.

• Pie 2

The thing about it though, if Mahomes didn’t go to Reid, how do we know things would have worked out this great for him?
Maybe Trubisky goes to KC and gets off on the right foot.  Swap their destinations, you can’t say for sure  

Just saying there are lots of factors. 

As for the Panthers I think they do have a very good situation for a QB to be in. 

Edited by stratocatter
  • Pie 1

3 hours ago, stratocatter said:

The thing about it though, if Mahomes didn’t go to Reid, how do we know things would have worked out this great for him?
Maybe Trubisky goes to KC and gets off on the right foot.  Swap their destinations, you can’t say for sure  

Just saying there are lots of factors. 

As for the Panthers I think they do have a very good situation for a QB to be in. 

Yep we need to nail the HC decision first or we could ruin whoever we draft. 

11 hours ago, Tbe said:

2015 is a great example. That season was setup because we actually took a chance on a QB. A QB that many said was a mistake. Everyone forgets that a ton of mocks had Cam going outside the top 10. Instead of going for the ‘sure thing’ like Von Miller or the top rated DT Nick Fairly, we took a chance on the most valuable position in football.

What Darrin basically said was, “QBs are risky, so let’s just take the “sure thing” player and enjoy them because it’s better than taking a QB and failing”. 

That is such a loser mentality.

Take the HOF players when you can, but when you need a QB take it. Especially since most SB QBs were selected in the 1st round.

Drafting a HOF DE over 2 QBs that bombed in the NFL is a loser's mentality.  WOW

Carr and Harrington were rated higher than any of the QBs in the upcoming draft.  Carr was the first pick ever for Houston and they gave him an offensive line, for several years, that was worse than our last season.  Over his span of being the QB in Houston he was sacked more than any QB in the league. Harrington was a can't miss out of Oregon.   He never panned out.  

2002 we needed a QB yet we passed on Harrington and went with JP.  JP was a freak of an Athlete and was the best player in the draft.  

Had we taken Harrington, the 2003 Cardiac Cats never exist.  When it comes to evaluating players, you have to cut through the hype and decide on whether that player is going to be the man.  In 2002 we drafted the right player.   Drafted what turned out to be a HOF DE.  After an improved 2002 our 2nd year GM, Marty Hurney, took a chance on a former UDFA Jake Delhomme and the Panthers went to the Super Bowl. 

Finding a QB is important, but it isn't always in the First Round.

I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't draft a QB in round one.  What I am saying is that we need to make the smart move and not what everyone thinks we should do.   Most of the times, we get it right. 

It's going to be hilarious when we draft someone else or trade down.  I can't wait for the epic meltdown. 

15 hours ago, 4Corners said:

Yeah MJ #1

Strong case for Peppers at #2 or #3

dont think we will see any NCST or duke alumni here 

Roman Gabriel

Gabriel was born to Edna Mae Wyatt and Roman Ildonzo Gabriel Sr., a Filipino immigrant, in Wilmington, North Carolina.[2] Gabriel grew up poor and suffered from asthma, but he played high school football at New Hanover High School and graduated in 1958.[3] He went on to star at quarterback at North Carolina State University in Raleigh.

Sonny Jurgensen

Jurgensen attended and played college football at Duke University. He joined the varsity team in 1954 as a backup quarterback behind Jerry Barger and he completed 12 of 28 passes for 212 yards, with one touchdown and three interceptions.[1]

Your ignorance is showing yet again.