• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

what's more important? early draft pick to hopefully get a stud QB or getting the best HC possible?

rayzor

Forced to choose, is a QB or HC more important to the success of the team.   

58 members have voted

1. 1. which would help a team more?

• Great HC with decent QB
    • Decent HC with top tier QB
    • Just happy to vote and ok with either.

4 minutes ago, Captroop said:

The tail-spinning Jaguars were able to land Urban Meyer. You want their kind of luck?

3-7 after going from Urban to the HC that got caught tanking...Also a job that Leftwhich (regardless of what you think of him) withdrew from. 

It's not a myth.

• Pie 1

31 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Do you have an example?   I think most times a job opens up it’s for a shitty situation 

i'm just curious and it's just a hypothetical.

for example, if steichen is the guy that everyone wants and he has a choice of several teams, would he want a team that needs a total rebuild but has the first overall or a team that is just a few pieces and good leadership away from being competitive, but didn't have a top 5 pick. which would be more appealing?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Growl said:

there are only 32 nfl teams and every single opening is for a bad team, idk where this delusion comes from that bad teams have a hard time attracting quality candidates

do they want the worst situation or not the worst situation? not all bad teams are equally bad. 

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

do they want the worst situation or not the worst situation? not all bad teams are equally bad. 

if this is so this team has a better roster than many bad teams 

the reality though is that this is one of the most competitive jobs on earth and it isn’t going to be hard to fill the spot with a viable candidate 

12 minutes ago, onmyown said:

Well weren’t there candidates that refused to even interview last time? And I know a lot of refused to interview for really bad teams like the Texans and Browns. I also know coaches like Payton (no we aren’t getting him but) said he would not go to a bad situation and I believe these kinds of coaches have choices.

Generally I think the idea is overblown, but this is once again just another side effect of Tepper running this poo into the ground into being the new modern Browns. There really is a difference going to a bad team situation and a dysfunctional franchise situation.

If I was a candidate I sure as hell would at least have demands after witnessing what this trash organization just went through and then have Tepper turn around and still think he needs to be involved. Not to mention the possibility of strapping you to a GM that is also an idiot.

payton is a good relevant example. he's not going to go to any team with an opening because some situations and cultures are much more difficult than others. 

you've got to think that up and coming HCs will have some teams/situations that would be a preference and some that they would really rather not get sucked into, and only would if there were a lack of opportunities or too much money to pass up. it's quite possible that some might just look at the openings available to them and decide they'd rather wait until next year.

I think it is a good head coach.  Using the Panthers as our team.  This team is not void of talent. We have a lot of pieces on the team.  A good head coach is going to want to build from this group make a name for themselves.

McDermott went to a mess in Buffalo and has build a powerhouse.  He's made a name for himself as one of the best HC in this league.

I good coach will want this challenge. 

lol all this discussion about "would a HC pass up a bad team" isn't answering the question in the OP. 

it doesn't matter just how realistic you might think the scenario is. 

what is more important for the franchise, not the coaching prospect, the franchise...getting the right HC or getting the best prospective QB?

• The D 1

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

lol all this discussion about "would a HC pass up a bad team" isn't answering the question in the OP. 

it doesn't matter just how realistic you might think the scenario is. 

what is more important for the franchise, not the coaching prospect, the franchise...getting the right HC or getting the best prospective QB?

I dont think its that simple as either or.  You need both.

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

what if, by tanking, you make the team look like a less desirable situation for the best available HC candidate? 

is it more important to get the right QB or the right HC?

yeah, i know you can get both and money will be a big draw, but forced to choose, which would you say is more important for the future of the franchise? QB or HC?

To answer your question, I feel that a superstar HC is more important that a superstar QB. A great coach can make his players look better that they are (look at what's going on with Russell in Denver). 

However... A superstar coach would know that we tanked, and would recognize the talent (good and bad) on our roster when making a decision.

Edit: This would have been an entertaining poll question.

Edited by shaqattaq
  • Beer 1