• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Rhule: “I wish I never took the job”

CashNewton22

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Rhule is so full of poo.  If you are a Nebraska fan you got to hate that answer IMO. 

4 year plan? You were 3 years in and there was nothing to show for it.  And you were trading away draft picks to acquire veteran players.    You were going after anyone with a pulse.   His answer of the plan was to try to build and make a big move in year 4 was “the plan” lol.    You were after freaking Watson in year 2 and 3.   Stafford too. You had no plan. 

and Wilks is showing your were just a clown.   Teams functions and looks better the instant you walked out that door. 

zero accountability, that’s what he told Nebraska.   And that makes Rhule the worst. 

This sums it up. 

First, if your boss says you have five years to turn things around, he expects to see noticeable progress by about halfway through, if not sooner, and a path to get to that goal by year five.  Rhule showed none.  Zero, zilch, nada.  In fact, he regressed and then looked completely lost at what was going on.  That is the real world, whether it is the NFL or managing a project.  In short, by the midway point, you have to be able to "get there from here."

Second, he was right, he should have taken a different job.  That job is NOWHERE in the NFL.  It is not at Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Auburn, Clemson, or any other big stage that has big expectations.  No place where the players under his "leadership" are skeptics and in demand elsewhere.  

Third, he is a BS artist.  He moves from place to place, speaking in buzzwords, always insisting  "the process" is working, even when it is clearly not.  The Webb Telescope could not detect progress in what he did here.  When somebody talks about "relationships" in a results-oriented business, you know they do not have the requisite knowledge to actually do the job.  Like any snake oil salesman, when people start having expectations or catching on, the wagon moves on to the next town in the cover of night.

Finally, culture.  Oh, culture.  When you are dealing with college-aged kids, particularly in places where football is not second only to God or the once-proud program is a shambles, culture is important.  They have to believe.  But, in a place expecting results (which is any professional sport), culture follows wins.  The Pats had little culture when Hoodie took over.  Hoodie's first job was to start winning.  And with the winning came a culture that supported the expectation of winning.  The 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys all developed a culture after they started winning.  Not beforehand.  Telling professional athletes "if you just do this, we will win" becomes a lot easier sell when the guy saying those words has actually proven them.

Then the cherry on top: He sloughs off the decisions to not pick a QB in the draft by saying he was not the GM.  Then he wants to take credit for a better roster when it is ready to win.  Those two things are mutually exclusive.  It is like being pregnant, he either was "the man" in selecting the players or he wasn't.  It isn't "kinda."

My opinion of him gets worse every time he opens his mouth.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 6

He's "not the GM" yet goes on to explain how his role was essentially a GM's role with player acquisitions and roster building within a 4-5 year plan.  SMFH.

Taking credit for the team right now really takes the cake, when he's also saying where the team ended up wasn't where he wanted it to be.  I've always like Schraeger and Kyle Brandt but man, this infatuation they have with Rhule as New Yorkers has really brought them down.  

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

This guy was just as toxic to our team as urban Meyer was to the jags he was just nicer about it. 

No doubt about it. 

I really wish the main stream media would call this fraud out for what he really is.  They don’t watch our games anyway but if they did they would grill him on why Foreman wasn’t used earlier, why Shenault wasn’t getting touches while Shi Smith was being fed.  They’d ask him what was behind his decision to remove keep pounding from the established culture. 

This guy is a fraud and spineless. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

For everyone hoping the Panthers skewer the guy, why? We should do what Rhule should be doing. Just own the mistake and move on. Let him keep making himself look bad if he wants. We look bad enough on our own without getting in a public mud slinging match. Keep it moving.

I don't care if the Panthers do it...

...but I'd laugh my ass off if Tepper did it.

• The D 1