• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anthony Richardson declares for the draft

Ricky Spanish

2 hours ago, Rags said:

With Richardson you have to understand you're drafting a runner you hope can develop more as a passer.

He misses the easy stuff sometimes, but that's because he trusts himself to get the easy stuff if he's wrong deep. I haven't really gauged his deep accuracy but if it's there I'll probably end up liking him a lot. He's an electric runner, better than Fields, honestly Cam tier if I'm being real. 

He's a player that if he hits, you gotta devote the rest of your assets into building around what he does well, not what you think he can be.

I honestly would prefer a better passer. 

Just seems like there are fewer these days,  and having to pic from guys whom will probably never see their ceiling. 

Richardson is a good example of a prospect this year getting hyped heavily on the web, and generating mock-to-mock perpetuated hype.  When you come down from the hype, I can realistically see some teams having him pegged as a late-1st, but he may be a hard no for some or a 3rd rounder like Willis really was. 

Overall, I'm looking at these QBs as either 1st or 3rds. You're either worth it or worth waiting on who's left.  

2nds are rare.  Dalton, Carr, Brees, Kaepernick, & Hurts are the outliers in the last 20ish years but that just doesn't happen much.  The position is valued such that a good QB talent won't slip past all 32 and not get a young gun with an 5th yr option.  And if they do, there's a reason, which typically brings them to being late 2nd/early 3rd selections.   

I'm on the fence with Richardson.  He's had moments where I've been like, yup, sign me up.  But then those moments are followed by like 10 incompletions and stalled drives. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

This is interesting. NIL not only affecting college teams but some guys desperate for money that would have gone 3rd/4th round can make more staying for their senior year in College. A guy like Penix can also make plenty of NIL money staying at Washington regardless of other guys using the portal to increase their NIL bids. Probably see more Juniors return unless they really think they're day 1, I guess Richardson has heard good things about his chances 

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Be careful, evidently we have a lot of Gator alumni on here.  🤣🤣

Varking is the only Gator guy, everyone else just likes what they see from the eye test. You can't really look at his stats and ignore the fact he was throwing to 4th string WR's. His accuracy at the combine throwing to NFL caliber WR's is going to have a pretty big influence on his draft positioning

• Pie 3

24 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

I honestly would prefer a better passer. 

Just seems like there are fewer these days,  and having to pic from guys whom will probably never see their ceiling. 

I mean, same, but it's not as simple as "They just don't exist."

NFL's trending towards mobile guys who can throw well enough. What you're hoping for with Richardson is you're drafting a guy who can take the next step when NFL defenses adjust, and honestly you're not gonna find that answer pre-draft.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, saX man said:

Richardson is a good example of a prospect this year getting hyped heavily on the web, and generating mock-to-mock perpetuated hype.  When you come down from the hype, I can realistically see some teams having him pegged as a late-1st, but he may be a hard no for some or a 3rd rounder like Willis really was. 

Overall, I'm looking at these QBs as either 1st or 3rds. You're either worth it or worth waiting on who's left.  

2nds are rare.  Dalton, Carr, Brees, Kaepernick, & Hurts are the outliers in the last 20ish years but that just doesn't happen much.  The position is valued such that a good QB talent won't slip past all 32 and not get a young gun with an 5th yr option.  And if they do, there's a reason, which typically brings them to being late 2nd/early 3rd selections.   

I'm on the fence with Richardson.  He's had moments where I've been like, yup, sign me up.  But then those moments are followed by like 10 incompletions and stalled drives. 

It only takes one. I don't see any chance someone doesn't take a shot at him in the 1st. He's the best pure physical talent since Josh Allen. 

That's assuming his interviews are at least decent. That's the huge part of the evaluation equation that fans have minimal insight into.

• Pie 6

30 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

This is interesting. NIL not only affecting college teams but some guys desperate for money that would have gone 3rd/4th round can make more staying for their senior year in College. A guy like Penix can also make plenty of NIL money staying at Washington regardless of other guys using the portal to increase their NIL bids. Probably see more Juniors return unless they really think they're day 1, I guess Richardson has heard good things about his chances 

If that 5 Mil number is correct, I don't blame them for staying. That's more than what some of the top ten picks got for this season.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

TBH, he is much closer to Taysom Hill than he is Cam coming into the league.

I dunno man. The draft is about potential, and Hill and Richardson have nowhere near the same ceiling. Richardson is very raw though, and I agree he's not close to where Cam was coming into the NFL.  I don't think there's a good comparison now but he does remind me a lot of what I saw about Allen in college (which was very little). 

• Beer 1