• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking Ahead: The Next Four Games

Saca312

The Carolina Panthers made a statement win in Seattle today against the Seahawks. At one point boasting one of the worst records in football, they've turned around and shown life these past few games.

The next four games on their schedule will be telling on whether they make the playoffs or barely miss it. With the NFC South in a race to the bottom, anything is fair game.

Mathematically, the Panthers are in if they win out. 

Here are the next four teams on their schedule:

Week 15 - Pittsburg (5-8) at Carolina

A home game for the Panthers, but of course Steelers fans will certainly travel well. At 5-8, their season may end up being one of the worst under Tomlin.

Their QB room is atrocious, featuring a first round bust in Trubisky and a raw and struggling rookie in Pickett. They most certainly have contributed to much of the demise of this team.

Defensively, they have been one of the better ones in the league, ranking in the top 10 in various stats. However, after their rushing defense got gashed by the Ravens, perhaps they are not as lock tight as they seem.

A decent matchup but very winnable on paper. If the Panthers capitalize on their QB carousel defensively and maintain a ball control offense, they have a shot.

And a very good one at that.

Week 16 - Detroit (6-7) at Carolina

Now this is a matchup to watch out for. The Lions truly are more deceptively good than they look at first glance. With their offense flying on high gear, much like the Seahawks they have a lot going for them.

Their defense is nothing too special, albeit they have played better than they did at the beginning of the year. However, their offense has been solid and high flying, scoring big points in most of their games. Goff has looked surprisingly decent despite being a bridge QB, and they will be no easy victory.

I feel this may be one of the toughest challenges left on the Panthers schedule, and a hard fought victory. Don't overlook them just because they're the Lions.

Week 17 - Carolina at New Orleans

They're the lone team Carolina has beat under Rhule. While it is on the Saints home turf and I'm sure they'd love to play spoiler, they have only gotten worse since we beat them.

Should be an easy victory if the Panthers hope to make any noise in the playoffs.

Week 18 - Carolina at Tampa Bay

Well, this may in fact be for the division title for the NFC South toilet bowl. Tom Brady - knowing that the postseason is on the line - will likely do his utmost to spoil any chance the Panthers may have at reaching it.

But, this team just got curb-stomped by this year's Mr. Irrelevant at QB. The Bucs are as low as they can go under this new coaching regime.

At the same time, the Panthers gashed the Buccaneers the first go around on the ground. This time, they may very well do the same again.

This should be a win, even with the playoff implications, de facto because the Panthers are a more complete team.

---

And with all that being said, what say you? What record will the Panthers achieve in these last four games. Are they in the playoffs, or are they securing a high pick?

Let those on hopium and the tankers debate.

• Beer 3

2 hours ago, Saca312 said:

The Carolina Panthers made a statement win in Seattle today against the Seahawks. At one point boasting one of the worst records in football, they've turned around and shown life these past few games.

The next four games on their schedule will be telling on whether they make the playoffs or barely miss it. With the NFC South in a race to the bottom, anything is fair game.

Mathematically, the Panthers are in if they win out. 

Here are the next four teams on their schedule:

Week 15 - Pittsburg (5-8) at Carolina

A home game for the Panthers, but of course Steelers fans will certainly travel well. At 5-8, their season may end up being one of the worst under Tomlin.

Their QB room is atrocious, featuring a first round bust in Trubisky and a raw and struggling rookie in Pickett. They most certainly have contributed to much of the demise of this team.

Defensively, they have been one of the better ones in the league, ranking in the top 10 in various stats. However, after their rushing defense got gashed by the Ravens, perhaps they are not as lock tight as they seem.

A decent matchup but very winnable on paper. If the Panthers capitalize on their QB carousel defensively and maintain a ball control offense, they have a shot.

And a very good one at that.

Week 16 - Detroit (6-7) at Carolina

Now this is a matchup to watch out for. The Lions truly are more deceptively good than they look at first glance. With their offense flying on high gear, much like the Seahawks they have a lot going for them.

Their defense is nothing too special, albeit they have played better than they did at the beginning of the year. However, their offense has been solid and high flying, scoring big points in most of their games. Goff has looked surprisingly decent despite being a bridge QB, and they will be no easy victory.

I feel this may be one of the toughest challenges left on the Panthers schedule, and a hard fought victory. Don't overlook them just because they're the Lions.

Week 17 - Carolina at New Orleans

They're the lone team Carolina has beat under Rhule. While it is on the Saints home turf and I'm sure they'd love to play spoiler, they have only gotten worse since we beat them.

Should be an easy victory if the Panthers hope to make any noise in the playoffs.

Week 18 - Carolina at Tampa Bay

Well, this may in fact be for the division title for the NFC South toilet bowl. Tom Brady - knowing that the postseason is on the line - will likely do his utmost to spoil any chance the Panthers may have at reaching it.

But, this team just got curb-stomped by this year's Mr. Irrelevant at QB. The Bucs are as low as they can go under this new coaching regime.

At the same time, the Panthers gashed the Buccaneers the first go around on the ground. This time, they may very well do the same again.

This should be a win, even with the playoff implications, de facto because the Panthers are a more complete team.

---

And with all that being said, what say you? What record will the Panthers achieve in these last four games. Are they in the playoffs, or are they securing a high pick?

Let those on hopium and the tankers debate.

We have to keep even with TB until we play them.  TB has Cincinnati at home next followed by Cardinals in Arizona.  If we split with Pittsburgh and Detroit, we are in position to win the South. If we can go into TB and beat them, we own the tiebreaker since we beat them in Carolina.  The most intriguing game will be the New Orleans game.  They most certainly will want to spoil our season and knock us out of the playoffs. 

If we were to run the table, we would meet some of the preseason predictions of 9-8.  

IMO the most difficult game will be Detroit because they have a very potent offense.  Goff is looking very good in that system. 

Mostly, I will enjoy watching the tankers heads explode because we keep winning.  Ruining their dream of drafting Young or Stroud. 

I think a Trubisky led Steelers team is about as close to a stone cold lock of a victory as the Panthers can hope for.

The Lions are going to be tough, the Saints and Tampa are going to be tough.

So 1-3 worst case scenario but it is very possible that we run the table.

One thing that will be absolutely critical is gaining leads early, because we do not have an offense capable of mounting a comeback with Darnold at the helm. PJ might be able to accomplish that but Darnold is just too limited to be able to trust to do that.

It's going to be a very interesting ride because we still have a chance of being a top 5 pick overall, as well. 

Way more intrigue than I ever expected after canning Rhule. I don't particularly care about the outcome this year so it's been pretty amazing to watch these games stress free.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

If I were game-planning against the Panthers at this point, I would throw 8 or 9 in the box and dare Sam Darnold to make a critical pass. Teams have not taken the Panthers seriously, but with the Panthers establishing an actual game plan the last few weeks, they are going to have to now.

The games are winnable on paper, but I'm having a hard time believing a team that has won 5 games all year is suddenly going to go 6-0 or 5-1 to close out the schedule. 

• Pie 1

19 minutes ago, Raleigh PF said:

If I were game-planning against the Panthers at this point, I would throw 8 or 9 in the box and dare Sam Darnold to make a critical pass. Teams have not taken the Panthers seriously, but with the Panthers establishing an actual game plan the last few weeks, they are going to have to now.

The games are winnable on paper, but I'm having a hard time believing a team that has won 5 games all year is suddenly going to go 6-0 or 5-1 to close out the schedule. 

I wholeheartedly agree. I’m surprised Seattle didn’t make that adjustment in the 2nd half. Sam doesn’t have to be spectacular for us to win out. But, he’s going to have to  make 3-4 big plays per game and get close to 200 yds passing for us to run the table.