• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft a QB or Re-Up with Darnold?

bLACKpANTHER

We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. We make the playoffs & are picking no higher than #18... WYD?

• Trade Up in Draft to get a Top 4 QB
    • Draft a lower ranked QB
    • Pass on young QBs, re-sign Darnold & address other needs (DE, TE, WR)
    • Pass on young QBs, sign FA QB (Lamar, Brady, Jimmy G, Daniel Jones, Geno)

I think some are missing the point. 

This is framed under the scenario that we make the playoffs, essentially winning out/going 3-1 down the stretch. 

Sam would theoretically have to continue game managing and not making mistakes, while also making plays happen when needed. It assumes him not being complete ass. 

In that scenario, that’s a more mature developed Darnold, and therefore the theoretical Darnold the question is asking if you would resign. A Rodneyish Peeteish Darnold I suppose. 

• Beer 3

Let's get our priorities straight:

• Hire Shane Steichen
  • Retain Wilks as a DC & Assistant Head Coach
  • Retain Campen & Tabor

Now QB wise??

You draft high (Richardson), draft low (Tune), & sign the man, the myth, the legend:

GettyImages-1265700315-e1597502109113.jp

Our low pick and Corral duke it out for QB3, Richardson acclimates, Minshew dominates.

Any questions?

How about pick the best DE, DT or TE available at our pick, give Corral a chance to actually play in a game, and if Darnold continues to improve offer him a back-up QB spot/interim position if another vet QB with decent back up capabilities isn't available at a reasonable price.

Our need is definitely at TE to help the offense or some extra d-line pressure on defense right now. If we can improve those spots while keeping our O-line strong, then you can actually give a young QB or a journeyman one a shot at winning for the team.

This idea that you have to draft a QB in the first round in our situation is short sighted and narrow of focus. There aren't any real deal, set in stone, sure thing QBs available right now, so why potentially waste the pick when we can build a stronger team overall in the process?

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

17 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I think some are missing the point. 

This is framed under the scenario that we make the playoffs, essentially winning out/going 3-1 down the stretch. 

Sam would theoretically have to continue game managing and not making mistakes, while also making plays happen when needed. It assumes him not being complete ass. 

In that scenario, that’s a more mature developed Darnold, and therefore the theoretical Darnold the question is asking if you would resign. A Rodneyish Peeteish Darnold I suppose. 

Not for nothing but Sam wishes he was Rodney Pete at this point. 

5 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

There aren't any real deal, set in stone, sure thing QBs available right now, so why potentially waste the pick when we can build a stronger team overall in the process?

Because people will always make that argument as they find the flaws in the current draft eligible QB class regardless of year. At some point you have to pull the trigger and take a chance. If whoever is running the show after this season feels that one of the top 4 QBs in this upcoming draft are worth the pick(s), it's just as good a time as any to take the chance. That's even more true if the new HC wants their own shiny new QB.

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I'm not sure.  You have to go with the player you love. 

We don't know who our next HC is.  Will Fitts survive?  Those are pretty important questions.  

Regardless, if there's a QB you like, you move heaven and earth to get them.  Look at how Mahomes and Allen were drafted.  Trades to get them.  So that's what I think should happen.  Get the guy you want, you love, you want to build your franchise around no matter the cost.  

We know how expensive it is NOT to have a franchise guy who you can build your team around.

Max Greenfield Reaction GIF by CBS

If we run the table, that means Sam Darnold just went 6-0.  How do you not offer him a contract?

Give him a 2-year, 8 million, game manager contract.

Draft Richardson or Levis in the first if they are there.  If not, target McKee in the second.

Let Corral and Shiny new QB duke it out for the future.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I think it depends how a lot of this plays out tbh. 

Does Lamar ever even reach FA? Is he tagged? If he doesn't get tagged I go that route. I don't love throwing 30+ mill at a QB but I like it even less than throwing 30+ mil AND trading several Day 1 and Day 2 picks to another team. 

How far up are we trading? If we stick at 18 and one of the top 2 end up falling outside the top 10 I am on the phone trying to move up. I'm not trading several years of 1sts for Richardson or Levis. I would seriously consider taking either of them at 18 without trading up though (Richardson more than Levis)

I think if all 4 QBs are gone, we don't get Lamar in FA then I am rolling with Darnold and MC9 for a year and then making the decision with next years class if we want to go all in on a young QB. One more off-season/draft and nailing the HC and OC hire this team is a QB away from making noise. Whether that QB is Lamar, Corral, Young/Stroud or Maye/Williams next year remains to be seen. 

I'll let the new coaching staff and our front office make that decision. 

29 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

If we run the table, that means Sam Darnold just went 6-0.  How do you not offer him a contract?

Give him a 2-year, 8 million, game manager contract.

Draft Richardson or Levis in the first if they are there.  If not, target McKee in the second.

Let Corral and Shiny new QB duke it out for the future.

If we run the table and Sam goes 6-0, I might just morph back into the annoying fanboy I was when I first arrived (actually, I won't 'cause I know Sam's limitations by now.  lol )

I'd like to see Corral give some chances.  Resigning Darnold just stings and despite recent wins he's just not doing much.  We need more out of a QB to win in this league now.  But it's kind of hard to tell until draft day and we just see how the board looks and who is available.  I'm not completely sold on Lamar Jackson and the money he wants and I'd be surprised if Baltimore lets him go.  Same with Geno, I think Seattle keeps him, they have invested a good bit in him and he knows the system.  I also have a feeling he may have some loyalty to the team.   I actually really like the possibility of getting Minshew as a good middle ground.

Edited by Zaximus
  • Beer 1