• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We are currently picking 8th.

Snake

7 hours ago, Varking said:

With no team around him Fields last 6 games:

94 of 138 ( 68% ) passing for 1000 yards, 10 passing touchdowns, 6 rushing touchdowns, 636 yards on the ground and just 4 INT. 0 lost fumbles. 

That’s a trash roster around him on offense and he’s doing work. Looking like anything but a bust at the moment. 

I won’t even compare that to how trash we’ve been at passing the last 6 games.

I'm not going to argue because you're not wrong but I would worry about his development. That's my main concern for bust. Either way year two is just way too early. 

• Pie 1

7 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I think the needle is pointing up for Fields.  He is carrying Chicago's offense and about the only positive about that team.  Give him some weapons and see if he can turn some of these games into some wins next year.  I might even go as far as saying I'd take him at his current state vs any QB in this draft.

Yeah I'm not sure. Year two doesn't make or break a career. That and his development will be the biggest issue. Yeah he looks good on a poo roster that's going to be picking 2nd in the draft. You don't have to do much to be good on that team. 

11 minutes ago, Snake said:

Yeah I'm not sure. Year two doesn't make or break a career. That and his development will be the biggest issue. Yeah he looks good on a poo roster that's going to be picking 2nd in the draft. You don't have to do much to be good on that team. 

It's hard to be good at QB on an atrocious team. Really hard. The entire opposing D is keying on him every week.

• Pie 1

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

It's hard to be good at QB on an atrocious team. Really hard. The entire opposing D is keying on him every week.

Fair point. I'm not shitting on him. Just pointing out he has the most potential to bust because of his coaching staff and skill players around him. I still wish we drafted him. We probably would have won 4 more games this year if we did. 

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He’s kind of on his own right now. This is a weird take, but being on his own kind of suits him, he’s awesome at improvising when a play breaks down, just like he was in college. I’m curious to see how he does in a proper system surrounded by more talent. Will he adapt and play in the system or will it always be hero ball for him?

1 minute ago, Martin said:

He’s kind of on his own right now. This is a weird take, but being on his own kind of suits him, he’s awesome at improvising when a play breaks down, just like he was in college. I’m curious to see how he does in a proper system surrounded by more talent. Will he adapt and play in the system or will it always be hero ball for him?

If they end the season with the 2nd pick they can do a major revamp quickly if they decide to trade out of it which I suspect will be the case. 

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If they end the season with the 2nd pick they can do a major revamp quickly if they decide to trade out of it which I suspect will be the case. 

The Chicago Bears will own the #2 pick and look to trade back and gather more early draft picks this year and next, or they will sit and draft either DT or EDGE ( they desperately need both ). They also have more than double the money they next closest team in free agency has where they can sign 2 offensive linemen starters, two defensive lineman starters, and still have roughly 80m to play with. There are a lot of ways at that point to enhance the roster. Their goal would bring in Daron Payne if the Commanders choose not to tag him. They are short on money and they already signed two other lineman to long term expensive contracts plus they will have to pay Chase Young soon. 

The Bears secondary with Johnson, Gordon and Brisker actually look good when they play but they have no pass rush. They could draft Will Anderson and sign Payne and Hargraves ( Eagles ) and add two guys at DT who get sacks plus an edge rusher to get sacks to help them out. And Sanborn oddly looks better than RSmith when he was in Chicago. 

The rest of their draft can be used on offensive talent at WR and TE to help out Fields. There are no elite pass catchers in free agency. 

I don’t know if I buy into the “because he has no talent around him it’s easy for him to put up numbers” type of thinking. I think it’s the opposite. I think his passing stats would look tremendously better if he were on a more talented team and didn’t constantly have to be the hero on the offense every play. 

And the Bears are sold. The coach is now calling him the franchise. The defensive players are saying this is the QB they have been dreaming about having on their team and just never happened before. 

And this is what I hate about us right now. We have no quarterbacks to be excited about. We are so starved for a QB to play just league average. We have a playoff roster, believe it or not, if we had a better QB. There’s no reason QBs here should not have had major success with Moore, Anderson and CMC to pass to. But that’s the reality of the situation. Cam with no shoulder, Teddy, Kyle, Taylor, PJ, Sam and Baker suck. They are not league average QBs. 

This is why I am so adamant we need to identify who we think would have success here in Charlotte and do whatever it takes to draft them. If we can sit where we are and have our guy fall then cool. Stay put. But if we say… Will Levis or CJ Stroud are the guys, GO GET THEM. And don’t hope the rest of the league passes on them. 

This fandom and this franchise is starving for a young QB to be excited about. 

Edited by Varking
  • Pie 2

So much for "go Rams."

We need a QB, but that is not the only thing we need.  Sunday exposed that this roster needs to bulk up.  On offense, we have not shown any ability to do anything other than try to do what the Steelers did to us, and that is punch the opposing defense in the mouth running the ball.

In short, we aren't physical enough to out slug teams that want to run the ball down our throats, and we are not explosive (at all) on offense to win scoring-fests or force teams that want to run the ball down our throats away from that because of the scoreboard.

Despite the rather flawed roster construction left behind by The Process, we have a few pieces but we have a lot of work to do if we are going to start winning against the upper-tier teams or teams that want to "take it to us until we stop it."

All that said, we have a golden opportunity to empty the QB room of past mistakes and start fresh with the only seat being taken by Corral. 

• Pie 1

On 12/18/2022 at 9:19 PM, Snake said:

Sounds familiar right? Welcome to the Panthers where we are going to win just enough to not get a great draft. Depending on how the next 3 weeks goes we have a 80% chance of staying exactly right there. 

Give me Mayer from Notre Dame. All good teams in the NFL have a good, pass catching tight end. The best teams all have tight ends on the upper eschelon. Most of the teams with great offenses have THREE wide receiver options as well. Give me Jalyn Hyatt from Tennessee in the 2nd round with his 4.2 speed. 

You get those two guys and the entire complexion of our offense changes. Install the RPO, give Corral every rep you can, and let him build for the future with these dudes. That would be hard to stop by Year 2, which is something we see happened with the Eagles between Year 1 and 2 of Hurts. The biggest difference being AJ Brown.

13 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Give me Mayer from Notre Dame. All good teams in the NFL have a good, pass catching tight end. The best teams all have tight ends on the upper eschelon. Most of the teams with great offenses have THREE wide receiver options as well. Give me Jalyn Hyatt from Tennessee in the 2nd round with his 4.2 speed. 

You get those two guys and the entire complexion of our offense changes. Install the RPO, give Corral every rep you can, and let him build for the future with these dudes. That would be hard to stop by Year 2, which is something we see happened with the Eagles between Year 1 and 2 of Hurts. The biggest difference being AJ Brown.

Man I completely agree. The only other direction I would consider is DT and linebacker with the first two picks. All the qbs are projects. 

21 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

That's why I want a high draft pick. I want that 2nd to 5th round pick to be high.