• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I think Wilks has been told he has the job. (Speculation)

electro's horse

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

You lost me at Burns struggles when the ball is run at his side. All their big runs to the outside yesterday were to the opposite side. Burns is pretty good at setting the edge when that’s his assignment, and usually when the ball gets run at his side and posters around here throw up their fingers and scream SEE HES BAD AT RUN DEFENSE it’s because it was obviously a stunt or his assignment was to rush wide or something like that.  That’s what defensive play calling is, just cuz a player lines up in the same spot doesn’t mean the same gap or area is their responsibility every time.  

I always wonder when folks call out Burns run D whether it's because they hear others say it, or are they just missing how the play was run? He is criminally undervalued on this board. And I think it's all because he doesn't have enough sacks. 

• Pie 3
  • Poo 1

14 minutes ago, Gerry Green said:

I always wonder when folks call out Burns run D whether it's because they hear others say it, or are they just missing how the play was run? He is criminally undervalued on this board. And I think it's all because he doesn't have enough sacks. 

That’s exactly it. It was a legit criticism his rookie year and never since but people keep parroting the rhetoric cuz it fits their narrative. 

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

That’s exactly it. It was a legit criticism his rookie year and never since but people keep parroting the rhetoric cuz it fits their narrative. 

I mean, we've been a pretty bad lately, so I guess we should expect some harping. But man, this is a young and talented team. Sure there are flaws, but most teams have some. But if you went by the Panthers by just reading the Huddle. You would think we are lucky to still be in the league. lol

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

Biggest take from yesterdays game for me is that Burns is NOT worth what we will probably end up paying him. He is strictly a pretty good pass rusher who gets over-whelmed in the run game. 

Oh, and why the heck is YGM still getting snaps? He literally gives up the edge on every play that goes his way.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

9 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

All of that is true except for the assurance thing. I do not think he was guaranteed anything other than if he did an incredible job he would get an interview.  

My exact feelings. I don't think Tepper will commit to anything until well after the season is over and all the checks, balances and interviews pertaining to possible head coaches have been thoroughly evaluated.

8 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Thats the problem is it wont be 3 years, we will get in the hamster wheel of mediocrity and he will over stay his time here a la foxy and ron.  He will win just enough to make it hard to fire him.  I would rather roll the dice on a new product instead of a known commodity. 

I really double he has that much success. 

Sunday we ran into an opposing coach who can spot weaknesses and tendencies and can then game plan for them. 

Our coach, Steve Wilks, had done everything he could to cover those weaknesses, but at this point in the season with all of the injuries and the personnel we've had to work with, he just couldn't stop the Steelers. No adjustments were made because there were none that could be made. The cupboard is just that bare.

Is Wilks going to be our next HC? I don't know. On the one hand it looks like he can't get the team ready, on the other it looks like he's made something here out of the scraps he was left with. Maybe with an offseason, his own coaching staff picks and a good draft, he can make something happen here. Or maybe this is it for him.

Too early to tell, still. Let the games play out. We're not dead in the water yet, somehow. Maybe he can get this organization to limp its way into the playoffs.

• Pie 2