• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Drafting a QB is a total crap shoot according to a Hall of Fame QB.

Panthercougar68

34 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Thanks for sharing these links - great insight.  

Yeah np - I think most of us appreciate thoughtful analyses and there's a few out there on this.

I was very sure QBs busted more than anyone else yesterday and decided I'd see if my suspicions were right and turns out it is nowhere near that simple.

• Pie 2

27 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

For a league that makes big changes every offseason.... i think its hard to find a true formula to success.

There's no one formula that is the only thing that works, but even the Rams drafted a QB very high and rode him to the SB. Sure they then built a roster the most unorthodox way ever after to win, but still.  Hard to argue they didn't have success with their first rounder.

Risk is mitigated via scale.

If I were Fitt or any GM and needed a QB, I'd trade back (in addition to a high pick, if warranted) to accumulate extra picks and grab a handful of QBs and let the cream rise. If there is none, rinse and repeat until it does.

There's no good reason not to have several rookies in competition with each other if you don't have a QB imho. Shed the chaff, keep the seed and nourish it properly.

Just now, run-run-pass-punt said:

If I were Fitt or any GM and needed a QB, I'd trade back (in addition to a high pick, if warranted) to accumulate extra picks and grab a handful of QBs and let the cream rise. If there is none, rinse and repeat until it does.

There's no good reason not to have several rookies in competition with each other if you don't have a QB imho. Shed the chaff, keep the seed and nourish it properly.

I don't think this makes a lot of sense. Very few QBs outside the first round work well... Better to try our luck at a first round prospect we like and try again if it doesn't work out.

• Pie 1

Just now, run-run-pass-punt said:

A.  This has never been done before

b.  The trade back strategy is more then likely dependent on the qb class.  It’s rarer that teams trade a kings ransom for a non qb.  

• Pie 2

57 minutes ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

Seems good in theory.

Then you’re actually a coach / GM (not an armchair fan) and realize there’s not enough reps to go around in practice. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

8 hours ago, rayzor said:

He's not wrong. 

Doesn't matter where you take him, it's going to be a risk. There are no safe bets. Not much better off taking him in the top 5 picks than you are in the second half of the first round.

Won't know what you got until you see them play at the pro level. 

Total crap shoot. No one knows if Richardson in the first or Cam Ward on day 3 can get it done. Pretty much none of these guys are in a "pro style" system and some guys get it right away, some guys look good for 4-5 games and get figured out. Kyler Murray even made it almost 3 years before imploding. I wonder about how many guys that never saw the field that could have been great players exist

10 hours ago, run-run-pass-punt said:

The Redskins did this when drafting RG3 and Cousins in the same draft. Crazy that Cousins was the 4th rounder and RG3 was the first. Also crazy they let Cousins go. 

58 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Keep in mind, rabid Panther fans, that the Panthers have 2 second rounders that would allow them to move up 3-5 spots in the draft (from#8).

We are drafting a QB.

Or we could take the best DE/TE/MLB in the draft at 8 and then have two shots at picking a QB in the second round. Heck, take two of them, let them fight it out.

This will not be popular, and I feel a little gross, but I’m in it to win it as they say.

(The Obvious): In this offseason we should lock up the o-line whatever it takes.  Extend Foreman(nothin crazy). Bring some size back to the front 7.  

(The Plan): With these moves we can reinforce our identity as a “run the ball/stop the run” team.  With the only glaring hole being QB1.

(The Yucky Part): Who (available) could step into that situation and immediately make this team a SB contender before taking a snap?

TB12

It’s gross, but depending on the HC situation it is a good fit.

I want that fuging trophy.

17 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

Zach Wilson more than likely prompted this tweet but honestly I feel like there is some truth to it.

There are so many factors that go into being a franchise guy that there is no easy check list. If finding a franchise guy is easy then there would be 32 franchise guys in the league.

That being said I agree with Fitt that you have to keep swinging till you find one.

What say ye huddle?

You didn't know this? It's why I say we take Mayer and Hyatt and see what we have in Corral and a new coaching staff before we go drafting yet another QB who isn't Stroud or Young. Furthermore you can take a guy like Purdy and make him serviceable when you have a TEAM around them

34 minutes ago, L-TownCat said:

This will not be popular, and I feel a little gross, but I’m in it to win it as they say.

(The Obvious): In this offseason we should lock up the o-line whatever it takes.  Extend Foreman(nothin crazy). Bring some size back to the front 7.  

(The Plan): With these moves we can reinforce our identity as a “run the ball/stop the run” team.  With the only glaring hole being QB1.

(The Yucky Part): Who (available) could step into that situation and immediately make this team a SB contender before taking a snap?

TB12

It’s gross, but depending on the HC situation it is a good fit.

I want that fuging trophy.

run the ball offense doesnt work in the modern nfl consistently.  The rules are set up for a passing/scoring style offense