• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Morale Victories…. You think the Jets want to rethink their 2020 season?

TheBigKat

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The NFL tends to overthink a lot of stuff. I said it back then that Justin Fields has everything a normal #1 overall pick has. He checked every box.

Put him in last year's draft and the Jags put that #1 overall pick on the auction block and Fields goes #1 overall to the highest bidder.

I was a big Fields fan.  But the jury is still out imo.  He’s Thrown 10 ints and had 9 fumbles so far this year.  Most of his big plays have been on the ground.  Will he become a complete QB?  Possible.  But he’s still a long ways from that.  I do like the guy though 

• Pie 4

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Oh, for sure. But the same was true for Lawrence. The same is true for every QB coming out of a top tier program.

I don't know about you but until the last 2 years I haven't really considered any of the big 10 to be serious competition for Ohio State. Their conference hasn't done then any favors as far as tough opposition really over the past decade and I'm a Michigan homer. 

14 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I was a big Fields fan.  But the jury is still out imo.  He’s Thrown 10 ints and had 9 fumbles so far this year.  Most of his big plays have been on the ground.  Will he become a complete QB?  Possible.  But he’s still a long ways from that.  I do like the guy though 

Even so, Fields looks miles ahead of Wilson. Jets probably think they picked the wrong guy.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, Castavar said:

I honestly still do not understand that draft at all. Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields were 1a and 1b the WHOLE college year, and then Zack Wilson and Trey Lance just came out of no where to land in the top 10. Just doesn't make sense to me. It was always Lawrence and Fields until about a month before the draft. Teams 2nd guessed themselves hard (including us). I was the same as you, I thought there was no way Fields last until our pick with so many QB needy teams in front us, and lo and behold he does.................and we pass on him for a damn CB. Horn is good, but it just does not matter if you don't have the QB situation figured out.

It's a crapshoot.

In 2018, it was Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold, with Josh Allen third, and Lamar Jackson an afterthought.   The prior year, Trubiski was the guy while Mahomes and Watson dropping to 10 and 12.  In 2020, the word throughout the season was tank for Tua.  Burrow came out of nowhere due to LSU's performance, and there was some guy named Herbert.  Tua ending being the weakest of the three.  

I do think that exec's put way too much importance on the Pro day though.  

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ouch.

I wanted Field too. I honestly didn't think he'd be there. When he was it was an absolutely no brainer pick. Horn looks like he's going to be a very good CB for a long time but it won't matter until we solve the QB problem.

You might be right, but I am not so sure I would want Fields to learn under the brain trust in charge of the Panthers at that time.  

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The NFL tends to overthink a lot of stuff. I said it back then that Justin Fields has everything a normal #1 overall pick has. He checked every box.

Put him in last year's draft and the Jags put that #1 overall pick on the auction block and Fields goes #1 overall to the highest bidder.

That OSU Clemson game showed me Fields had potential to be special. Even when the Clemson LB tried to take him out, he willed his team to victory while banged up. I wish he landed somewhere with a good offensive staff. 

• Pie 3

44 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I don't know about you but until the last 2 years I haven't really considered any of the big 10 to be serious competition for Ohio State. Their conference hasn't done then any favors as far as tough opposition really over the past decade and I'm a Michigan homer. 

You can say the same for Clemson, says this UNC homer.

9 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

That OSU Clemson game showed me Fields had potential to be special. Even when the Clemson LB tried to take him out, he willed his team to victory while banged up. I wish he landed somewhere with a good offensive staff. 

1000% agreed. I had doubts about him right up until that game. That erased all doubt for me.

4 hours ago, X-Clown said:

I had a Jets fan tell me yesterday that he wished they would have just kept Darnold and let him play out his last year as a bridge QB (and of course not give him the 5th year option), then taken the trade that the Niners gave up for Lance and use some of those pieces to move back up to get Fields and let him start the year behind Darnold with Flacco in the QB room as well. Hard to argue that wouldn't have been a better result.

I wish they would have kept Sammy too. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, Smithers said:

The team around Fields is awful. The Bears roster on paper is far worse than the Panthers. 

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Lawrence has had way less NFL prospects compared to say Tua, Burrow and Fields. He played one year with Renfrow, who was drafted in the 5th round, two years with Higgins who went in the 2nd round and two full seasons with Rodgers who went in the 3rd (tore his ACL in 2019 and played sparingly). Etienne was the only 1st rounder, but obviously at RB. Also, only 1 OL was drafted from Lawrence’s 3 years there.

Yes, there was NFL level talent but not a bunch of 1st rounders like Tua, Burrow and Fields. Each of those guys had multiple 1st round WRs, some of whom are among the best WRs in the game. Clemson had way more defensive top draft picks than offensive. 

Justyn Ross likely would have been a first rounder if not for his medical issues that popped up. Higgins was the first pick of the 2nd round, but clearly should have been a first in what is a pretty loaded 2020 class of receivers.