• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Mcadoo developing Darnold??

WOW!!

21 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We are completely de-emphasizing the pass game. 

We are a run first team.

We have a good run blocking O-line. We have two very capable half backs with a third solid one to spell them. We have one good WR, one that is flashing but is obviously developing and learning the system,  and on who gets smothered on routes down field, or Shi Smith. We have a 5th year QB who missed most of the season and is learning this offense.

We are a run first team for more reasons than just Sam Darnold. More than Sam would have to improve for the passing game to get better. Why emphasize something we're bad at? 

Edited by Rags
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A winning franchise.

Baby steps

34 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's the impact of the training wheels. We aren't putting him in situations where he's being asked to carry the offense or make elaborate reads. Our passing game is super basic right now. It will only work when paired with a dominant running game.

That’s a formula for a lot of QBs to win in the NFL. Most have a system built around them that elevate their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. Maybe you’ve forgotten what the Patriots offense looked like in the early to mid 2000s with Brady? Super run heavy with Brady not needing to do a ton every game. Sure he was clutch, but it’s the same concept. I’m not over here saying Darnold is the answer, but it’s encouraging he has been able to show some progress. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He's a 5th year QB with 50+ starts under his belt and we're running the type of passing offense you'd expect out of a team breaking in a rookie in his 3rd ever NFL game.

So the fug what?? What year was Jake in before he developed into a starter?? Geno Smith is in year 8 of his career and year 3 of his development with Pete.. Some QB’s take a different path instead of being awesome from the gate.. But you still missed the point in this thread which is really not about Darnold but more about Mcadoo coming up with something that actually makes this dude look competent and confident something he hasn’t been since being on this team..

Edited by WOW!!
  • Pie 3

10 hours ago, hepcat said:

This is true but Darnold has improved on not making crippling mistakes. He’s elevated himself to quality backup and maybe bridge starter with his performances. If he wins another 2 games in a row and puts up a fight against the Cowboys in the playoffs he definitely deserves to be back next season. 

I thought you shut the game off to go watch a Christmas movie?

8 hours ago, WOW!! said:

So the fug what?? What year was Jake in before he developed into a starter?? Geno Smith is in year 8 of his career and year 3 of his development with Pete.. Some QB’s take a different path instead of being awesome from the gate.. But you still missed the point in this thread which is really not about Darnold but more about Mcadoo coming up with something that actually makes this dude look competent and confident something he hasn’t been since being on this team..

So you think McAdoo has developed Sam into a starter? Are you willing to pay Sam starter money for this type of play and keep McAdoo as the OC?

I think it’s more Wilks than McAdoo wanting to run the ball to eat clock, and try to lean on his defense since that’s his background. If our running game dominates like it does against bad defenses then our offense looks great. Hell over halfway through that game Foreman was averaging 10 plus yards a carry and Hubbard was at 15. Those are unreal numbers. The counter is when we play good defenses that can contain our running game like the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers our offense crumbles.

The best comparison I saw was Tannehill on the Titans. As long as they have a lead and Henry is rolling he looks solid. If Henry struggles or they get behind, Tannehill isn’t able to elevate their passing game. Dalton is kind of similar. They can look the part when they are asked to do very little. It’s a decent bridge or backup QB option, but I want something better or with higher potential on our roster 

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I thought you shut the game off to go watch a Christmas movie?

I did, had a great time watching the classic Christmas Vacation with the fam. What’s your point? I’m not able to watch the highlights and look at the stats after the game 🤣

14 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No. He's running an offense that basically heavily de-emphasizes the QB position. 43 runs vs. 22 passes. Darnold has thrown less than 25 pass attempts in each of his starts in the post-Rhule era. He's doing a good job managing the game with what he's asked to do but the game plan revolves around asking him to do little.

Its amazing how certain people cant see this.

• Pie 2

I don't think McAdoo is developing Darnold. I think Wilks just has the balls to tell McAdoo to protect the Panthers from Darnold. How do you stop Darnold from making mistakes? Give me as few touches as possible. 

This ground and pound game plan is good for a team with a weak QB but it won't be successful in the playoffs against better competition. We won't win a shoot out where we have to play from behind, and opposing teams just need to stop our run game to make us one dimensional. Look at the Pittsburgh game as an example. 

I've read all the comments, here's what you're missing...

Sam has said this time around he's being patient and taking what the defense is giving him. That may be more of a "game manager type" but he does throw the long ball and he does run on some plays to make things happen AND he's not turning the ball over.

Sam also said he spent time while injured learning from the defense and what they see in an offense and how they defend it. He got a reverse look at playing in an offense system.

Probably losing out to the starting job (1st time ever) was humbling and soul searching. It may also take a couple of years to relearn the game (bad habits) when he started and played in such a bad system (Jets). 

I hope he sticks around and gets to compete with our next draft choice. That's what Wilks would do, let them compete for there starting job, not just say you're the back up (you've got to earn where you play). 

Some people have a hate for him no matter what and he deserves some of the heat because of his past. But for 4 games, he's playing mistake free football as the team learns its identity. And defense wins championships. In all of Mahomes's greatness, he lost the SB to TB because he didn't have an offensive line worth anything but had all that talent around him. It's still a team game and we're starting to play like a team on all 3 sides. 

Enjoy the next game. It's gonna be fun. And let's hope Horn is all right.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, musicman said:

I've read all the comments, here's what you're missing...

Sam has said this time around he's being patient and taking what the defense is giving him. That may be more of a "game manager type" but he does throw the long ball and he does run on some plays to make things happen AND he's not turning the ball over.

Sam also said he spent time while injured learning from the defense and what they see in an offense and how they defend it. He got a reverse look at playing in an offense system.

Probably losing out to the starting job (1st time ever) was humbling and soul searching. It may also take a couple of years to relearn the game (bad habits) when he started and played in such a bad system (Jets). 

I hope he sticks around and gets to compete with our next draft choice. That's what Wilks would do, let them compete for there starting job, not just say you're the back up (you've got to earn where you play). 

Some people have a hate for him no matter what and he deserves some of the heat because of his past. But for 4 games, he's playing mistake free football as the team learns its identity. And defense wins championships. In all of Mahomes's greatness, he lost the SB to TB because he didn't have an offensive line worth anything but had all that talent around him. It's still a team game and we're starting to play like a team on all 3 sides. 

Enjoy the next game. It's gonna be fun. And let's hope Horn is all right.

This, 100 percent.

Sam played without fear and stood strong in the pocket. When he was called on to throw, he did it decisively and made smart choices. And he showed that he still can throw the long ball, accurately. And for a guy who doesn't like to run it, he did an excellent job of it when called on.

He's playing mistake free football, he's playing within his skill set and he's become a much, much better student of reading the defense. He's playing the best football of his career and he's won three out of four starts.

I'm not sure what more you could ask of the guy. He deserves some respect for what he is doing out there. He got out from under bad coaching and has made the most of his time in waiting. The guy has matured.

And he's definitely working that Yukon Cornelius thing to the max right now. Enjoy the damned games and give the guy a break.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1