• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Derrick Brown: We want Steve Wilks to be our head coach

WarPanthers89

1 hour ago, ADR said:

I did not start the post with the link I replied to it. And nope I was not agreeing or basing my thoughts on the article, my opinion was Wilkes is as good as any other choice we know of now before I saw what Derek Brown said. Show me someone who is proven better than Wilkes I am all for it. 

My mistake.  I see you did not start the thread.  My apology.

6 hours ago, The Natural said:

As I recall we didn't have very many offensive possessions due to the defense allowing Trubisky to slowly and methodically grind out first downs over and over again. 

Now look at our rushing yards and rush per attempt.  This style of offense isnt going to consistently win against good teams in this era.  Its just not.

6 hours ago, Catsfan69 said:

You don't win many games when your defense gives up 11+ minute 91 yd drives.

You essentially lost a whole quarter of football. 

You also ignored the other games I listed.  While it feels miles better than where we were with Rhule and Wilks deserves credit for that; we are still a .500 team with Wilks and we beat average to bad teams and lost to average to good teams.  I don't know thats we have any questions answered yet besides how bad Rhule was.

22 hours ago, ADR said:

Pretty strong statement to say "I'll speak for every player in that locker room".

Player buy in is half the battle. If we could get a better offensive coordinator and have a good draft Wilkes could do well. I am not sold on Darnold but seeing what Brock friggin Purdy is doing I am not certain a high draft pick on the QBs coming out is the right thing either. I know everyone says its a passing league now, you have to have a franchise Qb, but many teams in the past won Super Bowls without franchise Qbs when all the other pieces were in places namely in the trenches. 

See:Trent Dilfer. Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Jim McMahon, Doug Williams, Brad Johnson. 

Great running game, great O-Line, top 10 defense....can still win a Super Bowl

More and more, I find myself falling into a different mindset regarding QB as well.  My thinking has almost become "draft a mid-late round QB every draft" (regardless of need or not).  When you hit, you're golden.  The difference is, you continue that drafting pattern for QB2/3 even if QB1 is a stud.  If you don't have a stud, you still have best skill/defense players available that you cycled in via the early rounds and rely on a jag/vet QB.

• Beer 1

I don’t see how Tepper replaces Wilks if we make the playoffs.  If he hires some offensive guy and that coach turns out to be like Nathaniel Hackett, that would be a complete disaster.  It would make Tepper look even worse than he does now.

The reality is, if he didn’t want to give Wilks a real shot he should have waited to fire Rhule.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

On 12/28/2022 at 8:43 AM, rayzor said:

you want him to keep being head coach? then don't let him down. don't let there be another steelers type loss.

win games. that's how you keep him. you win games.

Quite possibly the best post in Huddle history. Good take. 

And Steve Wilks sucks. If the team is so motivated by him, pay him millions to be their inspirational speaker every week, and bring someone in here who understands X's and O's to coach.  Retaining him would be Steve Clifford retarded.

The Bengals, Ravens and Steelers games all happened under his watch.  If he was really telling it like it is, he would've cut half the bums on this roster. 

Edited by JVic