• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can Sam Darnold play himself into becoming the 2023 starter?

Verge

19 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

After what I saw today, he seems to be turning the corner.  I think I would sign him for next season and forget giving up 3 firsts or paying $50m for a veteran free agent.

I would have to see the numbers, but we REALLY need a TE.  We could use a S.  We need healthy CBs. 

Yeah we need a healthy secondary obv but we need an offense helmed by a QB who can muster more than 24 points. The best teams in the league are regularly dropping 30 points. You guys wanted playoffs but somehow expected we would walk our way into the dance with this measly output? Nah.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

18 hours ago, Harbingers said:

I wouldn’t say no… but I still think he’s a career backup. 

nice article. Today we saw old Sam return. He still has happy feet when DL's get around him and really with the O Lines he had in NY and his first season him who could blame him. If his OL can protect him and give him clean pockets, I would say yes for a year or two and just a tad over minimum.

56 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

After what I saw today, he seems to be turning the corner.  I think I would sign him for next season and forget giving up 3 firsts or paying $50m for a veteran free agent.

I would have to see the numbers, but we REALLY need a TE.  We could use a S.  We need healthy CBs. 

Starr 2.0, come on down…

17 minutes ago, CMAC22 said:

I'd be ok with re-signing him to be a very short term bridge Qb option or even a backup but no way in he!! do you give him longterm franchise starting Qb money! I would love love to see what they have in Corral with this offense!

I don’t think anyone on the board has proposed paying him starter money.  Cap friendly back up money only.

• Pie 1

59 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yeah we need a healthy secondary obv but we need an offense helmed by a QB who can muster more than 24 points. The best teams in the league are regularly dropping 30 points. You guys wanted playoffs but somehow expected we would walk our way into the dance with this measly output? Nah.

The fumbles really torpedoed the team in the end. 

No denying that.

Wish our Defense could've not allowed the Bucs to march down the field at will throughout the game, though. 

Edited by glenwo2

18 minutes ago, trueblade said:

I think you've got me confused with someone else?

You're right.  It must've been some other poster named trueblade.  

You must be very smart 'cause you suck at "playing dumb".   

hmmm.png

Edited by glenwo2

41 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

The fumbles really torpedoed the team in the end. 

No denying that.

Wish our Defense could've not allowed the Bucs to march down the field at will throughout the game, though. 

When your LT completely misses and your QB gets blasted in 1.4 seconds that's not on Sam.

When your center snaps the ball early that's not on Sam.

He had a pick that was a good read he just missed the throw 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

20 minutes ago, outlaw4 said:

The real question is who could viably be the 2023 starter if it's not Sam Darnold. We may not want him but we may have to keep him around in case something like starting Corral or the next rookie doesn't work out.

This 100%. There will be teams that do worse than 2022 Darnold next year.

The need for starter level QBs far exceeds the number available.

It's easy to say we need to upgrade Darnold. It's not as easy to make it happen.

There is absolutely no guarantee even a highly drafted rookie QB will outplay Darnold (especially next year), or that we would be able to land a FA QB we wanted (hasn't happened the last 3 offseasons).

No one in their right mind wants to coronate Darnold as the starter next season.

But counting on Corral and/or discounting Darnold would be foolish too.

We did a lot worse at QB, especially with Baker, before Sam started even this year.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1