• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is there still a case for Wilks?

Mr. Scot

I'm not going to say yes or no.  It depends on who else is out there.  I am not as hard on Wilkes as most people. He had little to no say in the roster and coordinators.  He also started with a 1-5 record.  He came in and made the Panthers competitive for the remainder of the year.  Darnold looked somewhat decent for the first time in a long time.

I said earlier in the week that Brady vs our defense without Horn scared me a bit.  That and some critical turnovers cost us the game. 

6 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Speaking of Ellis...

My understanding is that he's directing this at people who have communicated with him on Twitter. I can't say I've seen anyone show more vitriol toward Wilks than Rhule.

To anyone who would do that though, I'd call you an absolute moron.

Considering what is going on with Twitterverse that really isn't surprising.

It's not the case here. I have seen more 'stop comparing Wilks to Rhule' and I'm not sure I have seen 1 'Rhule was a better coach' takes here lol.

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Proportion matters?   What does that mean

Rhule's contract, situation and length of employment vs Wilks...

38 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Considering what is going on with Twitterverse that really isn't surprising.

It's not the case here. I have seen more 'stop comparing Wilks to Rhule' and I'm not sure I have seen 1 'Rhule was a better coach' takes here lol.

Probably helps that some of our more persistent nitwits got banned over the course of the season.

(including one particularly dim bulb yesterday)

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

This board would have killed Rhule for losses like Wilks took against the Bengals, Steelers, and now Bucs. I don’t want to hear any of this “he did well with what he had” when the reality is his coaching has been suspect from the very beginning. 

Thankfully at this point it looks like most of the board recognizes this. Some of you still need to wake up and realize what mediocrity looks like. And how we will continue to show that if we make the decision to keep Wilks. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Kentucky Panther said:

This board would have killed Rhule for losses like Wilks took against the Bengals, Steelers, and now Bucs. 

And he'd have deserved it.

Wilks may not be "the guy" but he's worlds better than Matt Rhule if for no other reason than that he's actually qualified to be an NFL coach.

Matt Rhule never reached that standard and likely never will.

• Beer 3

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And he'd have deserved it.

Wilks may not be "the guy" but he's worlds better than Matt Rhule if for no other reason than that he's actually qualified to be an NFL coach.

Matt Rhule never reached that standard and likely never will.

He’s better than Rhule but my god that standard is about as low as you can go. The Panthers have to think they can do better than that. Have to. 

• Flames 1

Just now, Kentucky Panther said:

He’s better than Rhule but my god that standard is about as low as you can go. The Panthers have to think they can do better than that. Have to. 

I'd say "better than" is a huge understatement. Rhule was absolute dog sh-t.

I don't think Wilks gets the job, and I'm okay with that, but he at least deserves respect.

Wilks is great motivator and leader.  What he is not is a great head coach. Just because he could earn the respect of the locker room quickly and get guys to buy into his philosophy doesn't mean he's an excellent Xs and Os guy or game day manager.  He's better than Rhule by a mile, but that's not  a ringing endorsement because Rhule was utter garbage. 

• Beer 1