• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

Not interested in Mayo in the slightest, if we're going to hire a former Linebacker and defensive minded coach, it should be Ryans, not Mayo.

It's as simple as just not wanting someone from Belichick's tree, they never work out, like... ever.  The problem is they always try to do what Belichick does, and it doesn't seem to work for anyone else but him.

Is that an unfair reason to not want someone for a job?  Maybe, but I don't want to be one of those teams who try to break that mold, rather just go somewhere else from the start, as unfair as it may be to Mayo or not.

Particularly with it being a defensive coach, as we know that's where Bill's focus is with his team, so right away I'd be skeptical about how much of the defenses success has to do with Mayo himself.  Maybe it's a lot of him, but Bill has been known as a defensive genius for a long time, well before Mayo, so odds would seem to lean towards the defense being more Bill than Mayo.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

Not crazy, it was my thought as well and makes complete sense 

Seems they have zeroed in on Johnson and don’t want to risk losing him.    I guess the quicker he gets here the quicker he builds his staff and they start going through the draft process etc.   

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

If we are going to hire a LB for a coach, let it be Luke or noone. But, since it's not going to be, Johnson, Steichen, or Kafka it shall be. Sorry Wilks...great leader of men and has the players behind him, but the old school approach to ground and pound football is gone. We need an offensive mindset.

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Seems they have zeroed in on Johnson and don’t want to risk losing him.    I guess the quicker he gets here the quicker he builds his staff and they start going through the draft process etc.   

how would you feel if we hired Johnson? Yay, nay?

25 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Sure.  He seems to have the wonder kid type vibe from people in the nfl.   You can’t deny his results.   Stenchin would be fine as well but tepper probably doesn’t want to wait a few more weeks to get someone.   

Yeah we need someone to start diving in on the draft and decide who our next QB will be.  Johnson works for me if he is the guy.

2 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Why is several media people all of a sudden concentrating on the LB coach of the Patriots for HC that no one has ever heard of and he is acting like he is an emerging potential top choice. 
All indications is Tepper wants a OC as coach and the only DC I would accept is Ryan’s. 
Also when has a Patriots coach ever made a good HC?

I'd imagine that they are casting a wide net here and doing their research, reaching out to contacts etc... and in that process Mayos name came up or kept coming up and couldn't be ignored. The truth of the matter is to top candidate going in could not be the top candidate coming out. I would say Vrabel has been a good coach. Once again, very different being a player from that environment then being a coach from there.