• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, grimesgoat said:

I went back and looked at that Cardinals year.  He won 3 games and lost 4 games by 3 points or less.

Their QB was a top 10 rookie who managed 11tds and 14 ints with a QBR of 24.3.  He was out of the league within 3 years.

The next year - with a new coach and shiny new #1 QB, they managed 5 wins.

I would give very little weight to his head coaching experience in AZ, other than on-the-job learning. 

It's like I was saying.  Before you use it for or against him you should find out what the facts are before you do. Every candidate should face the same scrutiny. 

• Pie 1

Just now, Kentucky Panther said:

What’s the eta on this actually being done? I don’t remember how long it took with Rhule. Just curious how long I’ll have to keep refreshing this site and google before I can start complaining. 

From what I understand first round interviews will take place this week and the next.

• Pie 1

Just now, Bear Hands said:

Recap of candidates, seems like it's a field of 9..am I missing anyone?

O

Ken Dorsey

Ben Johnson

Mike Kafka

Frank Reich

Shane Steichen

Jim Caldwell

Kellen Moore

D

Steve Wilks

Demeco Ryans

I don't believe Panthers have requested to interview Ryans. Think it's just 8 known candidates at this point. 

14 hours ago, Basbear said:

Plus the fact that defense got worse after he fired Phil Snow and replaced with best bud.....

hey - what stats are you using to show the defense got worse?

Points per game went from 24.4 to 21.0.

Yds per snap went from 4.88 to 3.61.

Turnovers per game did not change.

Curious as to what stats you are using...

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I don't believe Panthers have requested to interview Ryans. Think it's just 8 known candidates at this point. 

Overall, it definitely seems like a big enough field this time to better gauge who may not be ready/out of their depth. 

Last time, we were basically comparing McDaniels, McCarthy & Rhule.  This time, it's a much wider field and imagine they have a Rhule-filter to avoid getting sucked in that type of direction again.  

1 hour ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Yeah that's why I only included the Carolina portion and left the rest out. If that's a no-no, can edit it out.

Other highlights:

Denver: Payton is their top choice, but he may not want them. Payton likely waiting out to see what happens with the LA gigs.

Arizona: Vance Joseph expected to be a candidate. Need someone who will maximize and challenge Murray.

Harbaugh - wants Colts job but will take any job if offered 

I must have seen it before you added that in.

Thanks 

Edited by Mr. Scot

28 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

What’s the eta on this actually being done? I don’t remember how long it took with Rhule. Just curious how long I’ll have to keep refreshing this site and google before I can start complaining. 

Depends on who we want to hire...if it's a coach currently in the playoffs, could go as long as Feb. If it's Wilks or a guy who's not in the playoffs, could happen early next week. We still need to interview one other external minority candidate to satisfy the Rooney Rule as well.  

For context, Rhule was hired on 1/7/20, 9 days after the end of the 2019 regular season. I don't get the sense Tepper is going to move that fast this time around.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 2