• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching interview updates

Mr. Scot

2 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

I don’t agree with this decision at all but lately it seems like the soccer team has become a higher priority to Tepper than the Panthers. 

I believe he has his priorities correct and am glad to see it.  If it were a Panther starting player who died would you expect him to flip it off and move on?  He owns 2 teams in Charlotte.  One team (and a player's family) suffered a horrible tragedy. He is absolutely doing the right thing.

The Panthers interview crew flew back to Charlotte from New York, where they were conducting coach interviews, to support mourning Charlotte FC players, per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Walkes’s death has been “crushing” for everyone in the organization, Rapoport said.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/20/panthers-pause-coaching-interviews-charlotte-fc-anton-walkes-death-report

• Pie 9

18 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

Let’s be real the only reason some of you are praising this is so you hope that means we miss on Payton 

I can't stand Payton but I hope we hire him because that jerk knows how to build a team and a great offense. Hire him and find a great defensive coordinator and we may have a hell of a combo. I am also in support of them returning to support the team in this time of grief.

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1

51 minutes ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

Let’s be real the only reason some of you are praising this is so you hope that means we miss on Payton 

Nope. That’s your character and lack of wisdom speaking out. Only the least of us think finding our coach is more important than supporting family/friends who just lost a loved one. 

• Pie 6

1 hour ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

Trading picks for a coach without a QB on the roster makes no sense.

The only way Payton made sense is if he was bringing Brady or Rodgers as his QB. We can't offer him a QB right now.

4 hours ago, Pantherzilla91 said:

Some things are bigger than football, and especially bigger than a head coaching search.

In a way, it's a sad commentary on what I think of him that I'm surprised and impressed that Tepper has postponed everything for now. 

• Pie 5

9 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I do. And to be fair, I think he's learning.

IF he turns around, hires Payton and gives away picks in the process though, I revoke anything good I might have said about him.

I've long thought that Tepper is the second coming of Daniel Snyder (in terms of football ineptitude) - still feel that way at this moment. If this thing gets botched again - I've already accepted that the Panthers will likely be irrelevant for the next 2-3 decades (as long as he owns the team).

• Beer 1

Definitely understand people getting impatient and thinking this could negatively affect our coaching search. 
But as an owner. Supporting the people in any business you own during a tough time is always more important. 
Sure we may miss out on a coach but as someone said if they accept a job before interviews resume then it wasn’t meant to be and the coach probably didn’t want to be here. 
Also Payton not being interview will probably be good. 
Tepper did a good, 

• Pie 4

Tepper is absolutely doing the right thing here.

What will be interesting is to see reactions of non-Payton fans if Payton shows compassion by being patient and still giving the Panthers an opportunity. Or how will Payton fans react if he doesn't and goes ahead with another team not taking another interview with the Panthers. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, TheProcess said:

Tepper is absolutely doing the right thing here.

What will be interesting is to see reactions of non-Payton fans if Payton shows compassion by being patient and still giving the Panthers an opportunity. Or how will Payton fans react if he doesn't and goes ahead with another team not taking another interview with the Panthers. 

As low as I think of Payton as a person, I would be floored if he didn't reschedule with us. You'd have to be an awful person to outright cancel a previously scheduled appointment because one side couldn't make it due to a death.

• Pie 2