• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ben Johnson has me convinced.

TheCasillas

Side Note: Not that it necessarily means much, but Johnson would have been in high school during the early 2000s when the Panthers first made it to the Super Bowl.

It wouldn't be at all surprising to find out that he's a big Panther fan. And again, this is potentially his dream job.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 2

16 hours ago, UNCrules2187 said:

Looking into this some more for a separate post on DC candidates for the young OCs, but couple of other names:

• Vance Joseph - was DC in Miami in 2016 when Johnson was TE coach. Joseph has prior HC experience (Broncos 2017-2018) and may not be retained in Arizona after Kingsbury firing; would be an ideal pairing IMO
  • Matt Burke - was LB coach (2016) and then DC (2017-2018) in Miami when Johnson was on staff. Was then a defensive assistant (2019) and later DL coach and run game coordinator (2020) in Philly under Doug Pederson. Currently DL coach in Arizona and unlikely to be retained after the Kingsbury firing  

I do like this being talked about more with the young OCs. We're all beating Wilks up for NEEDING to bring the ideal OC/DC along with him in order to succeed, but these younger, less experienced OCs need to be held to the same standard. 

Joseph would be ideal....I really want Flores as our DC if possible. I do think Johnson would reach out to Luke to come coach the LBs or maybe in an Asst. DC role with the hope that he would eventually be our DC a la Demeco Ryans was.

Would love for Johnson to bring both Staley and Brunell with him on offense. Hoping he retains Campen from the leftovers.

• Pie 1

On 1/8/2023 at 11:25 PM, TheCasillas said:

If Tepper wants a hot shot offensive guru… then Ben Johnson is the guy. What he game planned in the 2nd half tonight for the Lions was brilliant.

i want.

Same question as with all these guys…who’s the staff he’ll bring? 

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Same question as with all these guys…who’s the staff he’ll bring? 

I'm sure this a key question in his interviews as well. I can speculate but I can't speak matter of factly.... I think it is fair to assume Brunell/Staley might come as the OC. I'd assume there would be a veteran coach that would come in at DC, and potentially Luke in a defensive coaching role as well. I doubt we would move Tabor or  Campen in this either.

59 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I do like this being talked about more with the young OCs. We're all beating Wilks up for NEEDING to bring the ideal OC/DC along with him in order to succeed, but these younger, less experienced OCs need to be held to the same standard. 

Joseph would be ideal....I really want Flores as our DC if possible. I do think Johnson would reach out to Luke to come coach the LBs or maybe in an Asst. DC role with the hope that he would eventually be our DC a la Demeco Ryans was.

Would love for Johnson to bring both Staley and Brunell with him on offense. Hoping he retains Campen from the leftovers.

I'd love Flores as well but given he and Wilks are suing the Dolphins/NFL together, I have a hard time believing he'd come to be a DC in Carolina for a...non-minority first time HC if Tepper passes over Wilks for the HC gig. Not to mention Johnson was on Miami's staff when Flores was hired as HC and he wasn't retained by Flores. 

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

I'd love Flores as well but given he and Wilks are suing the Dolphins/NFL together, I have a hard time believing he'd come to be a DC in Carolina for a...non-minority first time HC if Tepper passes over Wilks for the HC gig. Not to mention Johnson was on Miami's staff when Flores was hired as HC and he wasn't retained by Flores. 

Oh damn....yeah, no way Johnson brings in Flores given their history.

Goff sucked when he got there.  Now he is better than Stafford, and they have the picks and a decent contract. 

I think we will re-sign Darnold (I know--he sux, yadda yadda--back to work! Those fries don't salt themselves)  to a short backup deal and draft a QB. 

• Pie 1

The positive with being a local guy with local connections to alot of the infrastructure of the team is that it definitely can shorten and mitigate alot of the risks with a first-year HC. It should be the primary basis for a hire, but it’s a huge advantage. He checks alot of boxes. I’m onboard.

He has the X's and O's down it's all about his vision for the team his staff and how he will reshape this roster into a real offense capable of making the playoffs. If we hire him or Steichen it's a gamble like anything else but it's time we tried a new path.