• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eating my crow on Pinero

YourLastThought

I was one of the wrong who was calling for either his replacement or more kickers be brought in to compete after the ATL game and he came out and completely corrected himself looking very good the WHOLE rest of the year. Bad call on my behalf which is why I am not a coach or GM obviously. For those that said stick with him, you were EXACTLY RIGHT. 

Now we have a tough decision unless im mistaken. Didnt we have a guy who was doing quite well on IR that Pinero replaced? Maybe they both compete in camp but damn Eddie Pinero has been a very bright spot in the season after ONE bad game and those of us who wanted him gone or at least new kickers brought in to pressure him could not have been more wrong. He had one bad game and an overall very solid season. He should be part of plans moving forward.

Edited by YourLastThought
  • Pie 1

I still want to keep Zane, but I was also of the opinion to leave eddie in atl. I normally keep my cool, but honestly Im still heated about that game........hell Im still heated about michael vicks superman TD as well.......

If there are some issues with Zanes injury, keep eddie.

Big props to steve wilks, he didnt panic and made eddie a team captain for the next atl game.....big baller move that worked out.   

• Pie 2

It will be interesting to see how the kicking job plays out in training camp because Eddie Piñeiro wasn't the Panthers initial plan at kicker. He came in just before the season after Zane Gonzalez suffered a season-ending groin injury in the Panthers' preseason finale.

He finished the year 32-of-34 on field goal attempts, a 94.1 percentage that's the second-best in a single season among Panthers' kickers with at least 30 attempts.

The mark is just behind Graham Gano's 96.7 percent in 2017, when Gano went 29-of-30.

Piñeiro's 32 total made field goals this year rank second in Panthers' history for a single season, behind 37 from John Kasay in 1996.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • The D 1

7 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

Literally nothing has changed, so what he made some low pressure kicks, he is a liability when the game is on the line , and should have been cut after the Atlanta chokes 

So all his other kicks meant nothing this season and his two misses (only misses of the entire season) were reason for cutting him? So the 32 field goals he made were all completely low pressure kicks? One bad game and done I guess?

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

Literally nothing has changed, so what he made some low pressure kicks, he is a liability when the game is on the line , and should have been cut after the Atlanta chokes 

Low pressure as in the game winner vs the Saints?

The guy was straight up money when you look at the big picture. And Zane, who was injured in the preseason, was mighty good as well the prior season. Both were great finds.

But, you really shouldn't have two kickers on the roster at the same time. And kicker cuts are often just quickly made and the team moves on, kind of rough on the guys but that's the nature of the business.

Right now I say Eddie won the job, but there could be contract considerations galore in this. Whichever one we keep I'll have confidence in and I believe the other will be snagged pretty quickly in the free agent market.

We had a string of bad luck at kickers there for a while, I'm glad to see we made it through that. Now if we could just have that kind of renaissance at QB...

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

There's only 1 Justin Tucker and we don't have him.

The overreaction to dump Eddie after Atlanta was ridiculous. He had hit everything before that game.

Had he continued to struggle the next week, or shown inconsistency moving forward, he should have gotten the ax, but he did great after that. 

I personally think we keep Eddie since Zane has a continued history of injury... and he's a kicker... That's kind of terrible considering no one ever touches him. 

• Pie 3

17 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

If your job is literally on the line with every kick..  Trying to keep a job,,,, that's pressure.