• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

coach/qb/#9/FA

ericr0319

What is YOUR ideal scenario for this offseason, but within reason?

Pick your HC;

Who do you want to START at QB week 1;

Who do you WANT us to draft, within reason at 9 (we are not getting Will Anderson or Jalen Carter);

and 1 FA you think we have a REASONABLE chance at.

HC - I was leaning Ben Johnson, but now I am thinking about Mike Kafka - Andy Reid tree and look what he has done with the Giants. 2 games away from the Super Bowl.

QB - Darnold. Sam earned himself a reasonable 2 year contract without a lot of guaranteed the 2nd year. He was good for us and at times great. He was never a BAD QB for us this year. 

Draft - This one is tough, because its early and without the benefits of the combine and free agency who knows what will happen. Honestly too, its not a GREAT draft class IMO. Right now, if we were at 9 - ideally trade back if a QB slips and we aren't in the market for one (because our new HC likes what he has). But I guess Bryan Breese or QJ, but I'd lean QJ (see below at DT).

Free Agency -  Resign Darnold, Bozeman, and Foreman and you can do so by cutting Shaq, Elfien, Ian Thomas (not a big save but just get him off the team, hes taking away a spot for a guy that might actually make a difference--unless, and correct me if I am wrong, but is he an elite blocker?), Haynes, D. Wilson. But a guy from another team, if he is available would be Da'Ron Payne, idk if we can make it affordable. But man would we have two great DT to pair with Burns and make his job easier. 

a freebie that I wanted to add - two underrated WR to maybe take a look at are DJ Chark and Marvin Jones. and pair our two 2nds to trade back up late in the first if someone is falling, maybe a Michael Mayer. 

• Poo 1

Ben Johnson

Darnold to start, rookie QB in after the bye week (or earlier if we get a late bye week)

Trade up for Stroud.  If a trade up is unreasonable or undoable, I’d be fine with Levis, Richardson or Quentin Johnston or a good DE (haven’t researched them yet).

Bozeman is a must, Foreman would be great, if Chark is a FA he’d be great. I’ve liked him since that year’s draft season. 

24 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Ben Johnson

Darnold to start, rookie QB in after the bye week (or earlier if we get a late bye week)

Trade up for Stroud.  If a trade up is unreasonable or undoable, I’d be fine with Levis, Richardson or Quentin Johnston or a good DE (haven’t researched them yet).

Bozeman is a must, Foreman would be great, if Chark is a FA he’d be great. I’ve liked him since that year’s draft season. 

I agree with most of this but signing a FA WR. They are just too expensive these days... 

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

HC: Steichen or Johnson. I lean toward Steichen because...

QB/#9: Anthony Richardson. He has the most physical talent and upside in the draft. Pair him with a HC who has already turned a raw physical talent into an MVP caliber QB. Re-sign Darnold to good backup money as a bridge/mentor.

same here. would be good with Kafka as well. Richardson is a 'swing for the fences' type pick, which is exactly what you need and paring him with Steichen seems like the best thing to do since he seemed to do well with Hurts. I'd be really good with Johnson or Kafka, but I think if we need to really develop a QB then Steichen is the man. Though I think that Kafka might be good doing that as well.

Steichen I think would do a really good job, probably better than the other choices, at adapting everything to what Richardson does well. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Ben Johnson

If Sam has a 2.5 to 1 td int ratio and 250yds per game the rookie should never see the field.

• Poo 1

HC: Steichen or Johnson - Happy with either

QB Room: CJ Stroud, Cooper Rush, Matt Corral - It's possible the new HC doesn't want Darnold.  Is he really worth a $5 mil backup contract?  If we don't land a top-3 QB, this gets really interesting for a new coach.  Do you gamble w/Richardson? The FA crop is bad, Darnold is a .500 guy at best, and the remaining draft is sparse.  

Draft: I'd love to land a WR, TE, & RB a piece.  Favorites:

WR: Zay Flowers, Rashee Rice, Josh Downs

TE: Luke Musgrave, Dalton Kincaid, Luke Schoonmaker

RB: Zach Charbonnet, Chase Brown, Tijae Spears

• Pie 1

HC - as much as I like the idea of Sean Payton he is just too expensive for a franchise like us right now.  We can't afford the pick(s) we would lose.  One of these top OC's I could see or even Wilks I am good.  I am not as confident in any of them particularly

QB - 100% NO to Anthony Richardson - I truly don't get the hype at all.  I understand the potential but he has shown nothing but flashes, was bad against good teams, and has only 1 year as a starter.  Even if he is good it will be a few years away and we don't have anyone to teach him.  Yes I've seen highlights and games...bottom line he is currently an inaccurate, running QB - that doesn't win Superbowls - maybe some day but not now and never has.  Darnold absolutely HAS NOT earned a 2-yr starter contract.  Not sure how you could watch that NO game and say he hasn't been bad this year.  He managed games - that is all.  I am good with signing his as a backup only for a much lower contract.  The guy finsihed the season with a Comp % well below 60% and INT % above 2.0.  His 5th year in the league he is no better than his rookie year.

QB again - my reasonable dream would be to sign Derek Carr after he is cut.  He is still a very good QB, very good leader, and should be a very good mentor to a young QB like Corral or anyone else we draft later.  As long as his contract reflects a guy who got cut and is 32-yr old this year we could afford it.

Draft - there is no way we can afford the trade up for Stroud or Young - young QB are never guaranteed and we are multiple players away from a SB without enough FA to fill traded picks.  I have no confidence in the next 2 QB's as worth #9 so I would go Quinton Johnston or Jordan Addison or a top LB or EDGE depending on what is there. I would take Meyer (if he dropped ALOT) or a top TE or EDGE with the 2nd pick - or a good CB if possible there.

FA - Bozeman I agree is a must and I would love to resign Foreman - now that is a guy who earned a contract.  But we desperately need a MLB and CB's.  Hopefully we find some solid upgrades accross some other areas too

Marvin Jones?  33-yr old.....wasn't very good with Trevor?  HECK NO.  And Chark is just OK....more of a 3rd WR IMO and not much of an upgrade over TMJ.  And also they are expensive - we need money elsewhere badly

1. HC: Steichen, Johnson, or Kafka

2. QB: don't really care; just don't give up draft capital and reach for a quick fix; we have no quick fix. Get a free agent for cheap and start getting Corral and whomever we draft reps.

3. Draft: take Young, Stroud, or Levis if they drop. If not, trade back. If no trade back is worth it take the best at position of need for wr, lb, edge.

4. FA: Lavonte David lb, David Long lb, Jakobi Meyers wr. One of these three would eliminate a draft need.  

18 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

I would not complain one bit and have no stakes in NC college ball.  Let's do it 

He is gonna be a superstar. All the tools. Honestly though I hope we don’t draft him because it’s gonna suck to watch him be misused here and waste his talents on this crap team.