• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Interviews: Round Two

Mr. Scot

14 minutes ago, UNCrules2187 said:

He was QB coach with Manning in 2009-2010, then QB coach for Rivers in 2013. He's been around those two most of his career, with a one year detour as Arizona WR coach in 2012.

Yeah I guess both of those QB were already established by that time.  It would be like Taylor hiring a QB coach for Burrow.  Can he help sure, but it will be hard to tell how much.  Helping Wentz and Foles look great and win a Super Bowl is the most impressive as OC IMO.

Just now, ForJimmy said:

To say there isn’t one in this draft doesn’t match what the experts are saying. Sure they get it wrong, but chances are you are the wrong one. 

Chances are none of these QBs will be Franchise QBs.  A few might be serviceable but none of them have Lawrence, Herbert and Burrows skill levels.  Those are Franchise QBs.  These guys in this draft just happen to be the best available, That's it. 

• Beer 1

Just now, ladypanther said:

As we understand it, only four coaches remain under contract: head coach Mike McCarthy, offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and defensive passing game coordinator/secondary coach Joe Whitt Jr.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/24/most-cowboys-coaching-contracts-have-expired/

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm going to need to take a look at the rest of that coaching staff

Just now, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Chances are none of these QBs will be Franchise QBs.  A few might be serviceable but none of them have Lawrence, Herbert and Burrows skill levels.  Those are Franchise QBs.  These guys in this draft just happen to be the best available, That's it. 

More than likely there will be one or two in this draft.  People just let their own emotions cloud their judgement.  For example someone high on Corral (but thinks Lance is a bust which is illogical) wouldn't want to see a capable QB in this draft to give Corral a chance.  This is just a hypothetical scenario of course...

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Go back and look at the pre-draft commentary on Herbert. Very few folks thought he was a QB prospect on the Burrow/Lawrence tier.  

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, The Huddler said:

its Ok to get enamored by a young OC, but this franchise already whiffed on inexperience..  time to get a grown ass experienced guy at the helm

putting up good offensive stats does not mean you will be a good HC.  theres a hell of a lot that goes into being a HC.  

let the offensive mind with experience and success lead the ship. 

Finally someone said it. Majority of the huddles criteria....young offensive coordinator on recently successful team=success. As if offense is the only side of the ball that matters, let alone all the other details that come with being coach outside of play calling.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Diehardpanth02 said:

Finally someone said it. Majority of the huddles criteria....young offensive coordinator on recently successful team=success. As if offense is the only side of the ball that matters, let alone all the other details that come with being coach outside of play calling.

4 remaining teams in playoffs are Bengals, Chiefs, Eagles, 49ers and they are the clear cut best 4 teams in this year I'd say. All Offensive Head Coaches, 4 of the last 5 SB winners are all offensive head coaches with the lone exception being Belicheck. 

5 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

i didnt ask you a damn thing 

You said those that want one of the exciting young OCs over the old failed retread HCs must struggle to handle their finances correctly - choosing an XBox over essential groceries.

So yes, you did. Thank you. 

Reich as the hire makes sense if you take Tepper on his word from the beginning. He wanted an offensive mind vs. defensive..... and someone with experience. Reich checks both boxes. 

He was good, not great in Indy and had a much maligned couple years there getting to do things his way. 5 different starting QBs - most at the end of their respective careers. He did have an 11-5 year and a 10-6 year too.

What he did with Foles in Philly and never having a young QB to groom in IND gives me hope. He's been around some talented staffs and his up-tempo, RPO-heavy offense (with a few West Coast tweaks) is what I like to watch.

If he could bring Fangio and Deuce Staley with him as DC/OC and draft our future QB this year, I think we would be in a better place. I'm unsure if he will ever be a top-tier superb HC, but I would like to see what he can do in Carolina being less hamstrung as he was with the Colts. He helped mold JTaylor into a top-5 NFL RB too. His HC tree looks pretty good so far with Sirriani and Eberflus being HCs and Gannon probably getting a HC gig this cycle. 

We already have a good base in place...just need to cultivate the young seedlings. Reich's experience could be the answer. 

My preference is : 1 - Steichen, 2A - Reich, 2B - Wilks

Edited by Soul Rebel
  • Pie 2
  • The D 1