• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report. Panthers pivoting from Shane Steichen

raleigh-panther

3 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

These interviews go both ways.  Any potential candidate has to believe they'll succeed with Tepper and Fitterer as part of the equation.   That might be a hard sell for some, especially considering Tepper's track record so far.

people always say this but is it really a two way street, most of these guys know the Panthers are an up hill battle before they interview.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

I'm sure you can also make a list of previous head coaches for other teams who also never won much again.   That's most of them actually.  It's a crap shoot either way.  I would rather take the risk than low ceiling retreads.

For me we already did the lets take a risk with Rhule and maybe want more of a sure thing.  And honestly both Rivera and Fox were coordinators with no head coaching experience when we hired them.  So hiring an offensive coordinator with no head coaching experience  changes the side of the ball but is more of the same old thing that we keep doing over and over. What would be novel at least since Siefert would be hiring a guy with actual head coach experience. That would be trying something new not same old which is one more head coach who.learns on the job at our expense. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, panthers55 said:

What is funny is that here is an article suggesting that Fitterer is a real positive to the hiring process as he is well respected around the league and can work with anyone

Tepper brings the money so salaries are no issue and unlike some teams we can sign whoever we can manipulate the salary cap.

https://journalnow.com/former-nfl-gm-says-scott-fitterer-allows-panthers-to-cast-wide-net-in-coaching-search/article_102d7518-95e7-11ed-bbb3-eb994cc9d025.html

I mean I can find those with Hurney too. It’s just articles, where’s the experience? Fact is he was hired by Rhule, and there are signs all over that he isn’t qualified.I wish our fans would be more weary of coaches and FO hires that have literally no interest outside of this team.

Any GM can can do contracts, that’s like a basic qualification. We need someone who can hire a HC and structure a winning roster. If you wanna say I support throwing Fit (poo) against a wall, fine. But let’s not act like there isn’t better, known options that could be scouted. The coach, especially a college one, doesn’t hire the GM. That’s asinine. And inexperienced owners usually look for consulting to do so. Not to their wife.

Like I said the signs are there, if you feel like seeing them, or just look at evidence or lack thereof. Articles are nice too I suppose.

1 hour ago, Hogan said:

I understand that this will likely never happen but...

After the Eastland Mall fiasco and the Rock Hill fiasco...and Tepper and his wife are leading the interview process...What is the world would give anyone confidence these interviews are going well? Tepper's wife? Are you kidding. 

This has all the markings of a Rankin Smith, Robert Irsay, Bill Bidwell, Ted Stepien, Donald Sterling and Daniel Snyder ownership group. An absolute cluster #$%^.

IF this guy Tepper was truly interested in winning, he would have found a "seasoned football guy" to run the show not his @#$%^&* wife. (I know she isn't running things but you get my point).

So, here's my question for those who know more about how the NFL works than do I: Is there any rule that would stop Tepper from hiring John Lynch away from the 49ers and giving him the title "President and General Manager"? That would be a promotion from what he is doing now. Right?

That's what Joe Robbie did in 1970 when he hired Don Shula away from the Colts. He gave Shula a great deal. It worked.

From what I understand you cannot interview a GM without firing your current one first.

Tepper tried to do this a couple years ago with an Eagles up a comer while retaining Hurney and got denied by Philly. And laughed at for being an idiot owner. 

But if he fired Fit, and other teams give permission in some cases (which they normally do), it’d be allowed.

• Poo 2

10 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

For me we already did the lets take a risk with Rhule and maybe want more of a sure thing.  And honestly both Rivera and Fox were coordinators with no head coaching experience when we hired them.  So hiring an offensive coordinator with no head coaching experience  changes the side of the ball but is more of the same old thing that we keep doing over and over. What would be novel at least since Siefert would be hiring a guy with actual head coach experience. That would be trying something new not same old which is one more head coach who.learns on the job at our expense. 

I dont think you instantly change your entire way of thinking because you take one swing and miss.  The odds arent good that the first coach you ever hire is going to be great regardless of experience.   First time coach from defensive background and known to be conservative is totally different than first time coach from offensive background.  The only thing similar is the amount of experience they have at head coaching.

Just now, Tr3ach said:

I dont think you instantly change your entire way of thinking because you take one swing and miss.  The odds arent good that the first coach you ever hire is going to be great regardless of experience.   First time coach from defensive background and known to be conservative is totally different than first time coach from offensive background.  The only thing similar is the amount of experience they have at head coaching.

Look Rivera was known as Riverboat Ron because he was so aggressive. He wasn't conservative. So stop with the huge difference. There isn't one. But that experience thing is the most important thing. We need a proven guy who can assemble a premier staff and hit the ground running. Not someone who is doing everything for the first rime.

• Beer 1

4 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Huge assumptions there. More likely is that with him  being an OC for a team in the playoffs and having no experience interviewing as a head coach, he likely wasn't as prepared as others candidates who have done this before.  Some potential head coaches have books, charts and elaborate presentations based on doing the job and interviewing previously. Steichen will have little of that prepared this time around. If he doesn't go anywhere this time he will in the future for sure.

yeah I don’t want a coach whose busy fiddling with playoff games, better we key in on these guys that are available 

because they aren’t in the playoffs 

• Pie 1

Just now, Growl said:

yeah I don’t want a coach whose busy fiddling with playoff games, better we key in on these guys that are available 

because they aren’t in the playoffs 

We looked at him and plenty others. For whatever reason he didn't make the second round. Get over it and move on. Most of us fans aren't going to get our choice either.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

We looked at him and plenty others. For whatever reason he didn't make the second round. Get over it and move on. Most of us fans aren't going to get our choice either.

no no you had it right the first time, if he can’t get his priorities in line we don’t want him

go play your dumb little “title” game, Shane. Your loss.

• Pie 1