• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is starting to get nasty with coach wilks.

ncguy2184

37 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

being a "leader of men" only gets you so far in the nfl, it doesnt help you in out scheming coaches like Tomlin

Unfortunately leader of men has been the most common reason I have see on social media as to why he should be our HC. Also that he went 6-6. 
All I saw in the Steelers and Bucs game is a coach that hasn’t learned anything since his time in Arizona. 
If I am an interim fighting for my job I am NOT staying in my comfort zone no matter how much it hurts. 
Wilks was coaching exactly how he would if he was our full time HC. Conservative and playing not to lose. 
Had enough of that from 2002 - 2019. 17 years is long enough. Need to try something different. 

The moral of the story here is to not watch any ESPN show that is not a sporting event, and even half of those you want to do with the sound muted and music turned on instead.  If not for that, I gave up ESPN about a decade ago and for good reason.

I like Wilks.  There is a role for him in the NFL as a HC as what I call a stabilizer.  Like Rivera and Fox, if your team is a clusterf*#k, you hire a stabilizer to come in and restore some semblance of order and purpose.  He probably will not get you to the juggernaut level, but you screwed yourself by hiring some moron who left ashes behind. 

Fox was hired in Denver a decade ago for that very reason, and he restored them to prominence.  He got them to an Owl, but to win one, they had to replace him.  

It sort of says something about the Panthers that we had stabilizers for 18 consecutive years, and then 12 games this year, with a moron shoved in between. 

• Pie 5

1 hour ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

But there aren't 2 different standards in the NFL; there are 32. Every team and every owner is looking for something different depending on their circumstances.

The reaction wouldn't have been significantly different if Tepper would have hired any other white coach over Wilks, regardless of whether they'd been fired before or not. 

Makes me wonder what would have happened if we hired Demario Ryan? Really the only defensive coach I liked as HC potential. 
Probably people would say Wilks and Ryan are the same coach so why hire Ryan? 
Despite Ryan obviously being the better candidate. 

17 minutes ago, ncfan said:

What are you even talking about 

it’s pretty cut and dry that the Offensive coach was the reason and not a excuse 

it was going to be 8 out of 10 (80%) of the interviews were offensive guys.  If you can’t clearly see that.  Your just have your emotional glasses on.

Reich did earn his job by coaching

Being a Super Bowl winning Coordinator

which Wilks never did

by having more back2back winning seasons than our entire franchise has had as a Head Coach 

and yes, it’s bad to use the Arizona as a example with Wilks.  But the reality of the situation.  Irsay up in Indy with Reich was the same situation for a majority of his time.  And Reich’s worst season he had 7 wins (over double what Wilks had in Arizona)

again, this isn’t a bashing Wilks.  He did a tremendous job, and deserves a HC.

but Not only does Reich’s overal resume better.  But he checks the offensive box as well.

I truly feel for Wilks because he had a amazing season.  But that doesn’t mean I don’t think Reich is deserving for this job as well.

In fact, you need to go listen to Torrey Smith.

who has been one of the more vocal supporters of Wilks outside of guys who played for him him.  He has also been one of the more vocal former NFL players about African American’s unfairly being left out from jobs etc.  

But he was very Supportive of Reich and  spoke very high on him talking how lucky we are to have him as our Head Coach.

What are you responding to? Not what I said which had nothing to do with why we hired Reich. Truth is Wilks had little chance to win the job and it was going to go to an offensive coach. My point was that there are different standards in play. So Wilks had to go to the playoffs and some said win a playoff game but next year if Reich goes below 500 that is fine.  And as an interim coach we shouldn't  hire Wilks because most interim coaches dont have a winning record moving forward. So we hire Reich who will likely have an easy schedule next year like this year  but he shouldn't be expected to win next year but Wilks would have been crucified if he didnt. If you can see the different standard you have your eyes closed.

• Poo 3

1 hour ago, KatsAzz said:

Wilks was good enough to cost us valued draft positions but not good enough to get us in the playoffs and those are not good combinations.

I would have gone with McAdoo. Guy has already shown he can drive a tank. Still annoyed Wilks cost us 7 spots in the draft and now we are gonna have to pay up the butt to get a QB or go with ANOTHER retread QB. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 1

39 minutes ago, Doc Holiday said:

The whole issue here is you’re putting any weight into anything Skip Bayless or Shannon Sharpe says.

there literally is nothing more to discuss on the topic, these guys are on the same ilk as First Take with Steven A Smith. It’s all barbershop Trash Talk that they put on TV. I’d care if it was someone that actually uses their brain to form an opinion like Dan Patrick or Rich Eisen.

“Barbershop trash talk”

Pretty accurate analogy 

It is very much a common fan vs fans that know football/NFL and follow it closely. If you had any idea what you’re talking about, you would see Reich is more qualified than Wilks in every way possible. He also has a background on the correct side of the ball, which is what all teams at moving towards. All four teams playing tomorrow have offensive minded coaches. 7/8 last weekend. 

All the media and most of the Panthers fans I see on social media saw 6-6 Steve Wilks as the shiny new toy in the room and there’s just no way we could have done better. Nothing to say other than they have an agenda and will do anything to push it. I hope they’re far off the bandwagon next year when we are winning and not letting Mike Evans go for three TDs in the biggest game of the year. 

The media just needs a villain to drive clicks they will do what they do. They did the same poo with Cam Newton always making him a bad guy now they all act like they loved him from the beginning. It's all noise fug em if they don't like it.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2

1 hour ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

Wilks should have never been made interim HC. I saw this coming a mile away 

I think Tepper made him interim HC to prove to the league that he'd be a viable option for other coaching jobs. It gave him the opportunity to audition and show other owners who may be looking for a defensive minded head coach, or leader of men. 

At the end of the day, Wilks did not get us to playoffs playing in the worst division in the league. Had we been in any other other division, this wouldn't have been a topic of conversation. Yes he went 6-6 but only 3 of those games were against winning teams and those teams weren't anything special.

Even as a minority, I want the best man for the job, I don't care if he black, white, blue or purple. Not attacking his character, but his inability to adjust to Mike Evans and playing conservative cost him this opportunity. Hopefully he learns from it and gets another opportunity to prove it. 

Unfortunately that is where the country is right now. Everything is us vs them. It’s annoying, and childish. That being said I think the locker room should take most the blame for wilks not getting the job. Let’s forget that all they had to do was beat a lifeless Bucs team but when a perennial losing locker room starts making demands it puts tepper in a situation where he almost can’t hire wilks or nothing will change around here.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, The_Apostle610 said:

I think Tepper made him interim HC to prove to the league that he'd be a viable option for other coaching jobs. It gave him the opportunity to audition and show other owners who may be looking for a defensive minded head coach, or leader of men. 

At the end of the day, Wilks did not get us to playoffs playing in the worst division in the league. Had we been in any other other division, this wouldn't have been a topic of conversation. Yes he went 6-6 but only 3 of those games were against winning teams and those teams weren't anything special.

Even as a minority, I want the best man for the job, I don't care if he black, white, blue or purple. Not attacking his character, but his inability to adjust to Mike Evans and playing conservative cost him this opportunity. Hopefully he learns from it and gets another opportunity to prove it. 

So if Reich doesn't do better than 500 in a weak division next year should he be considered a failure like Wilks? And the emphasis on the Tampa game as the end all- be all is ridiculous. We were down both our starting corners and were playing our practice squaders. What exactly was he supposed to do? Make all kinds of adjustments when we are down several coaches on defense and didn't even have enough time to install a great game plan. Whether Reich was a better option is still very much up for debate. That Reich was clearly better isn't so obvious either or we won't be having all this debate in the media.

• Poo 2