• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sam Darnold

Shocker

26 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I personally want us to move on from Sam if only to see who the next QB that kungfoodude, TLGPanthersfan, frankw, and the rest start excoriating and saying "He sucks!" with such vitriol. 

My guy you followed Sam Darnold to a new team take a seat. We've been watching abysmal QB play for years we know it when we see it if you don't like it the door is always unlocked you don't need to say anything you can just go.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1
  • Poo 1

2 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Bridge, not long term answer.  Substitute Minshew or Brissett if you prefer.

He isn't a bridge over troubled waters. He's a bridge with a foundation that is about to completely collapse.

It's unreal that people cannot see that. This isn't ground breaking news to most NFL observers but it seems to be for a portion of our fanbase.

• Pie 1

34 minutes ago, glenwo2 said:

I personally want us to move on from Sam if only to see who the next QB that kungfoodude, TLGPanthersfan, frankw, and the rest start excoriating and saying "He sucks!" with such vitriol.  

I actually give QBs a chance. I gave Darnold a chance. I will give whoever is our QB next year a chance, if it isn’t Darnold again. 
But his body of work speak for himself. He has the physical tools but not the mentality. He has had 4 very bad years and last season he was mediocre to bad and limited the offense a great deal. If the running game wasn’t as good Bad Darnold would have shown up way sooner. 
Darnold isn’t a good QB. He never will be. He is a backup. 
But people keep thinking he is gonna turn a corner and become a franchise QB. 
That is never gonna happen. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

He isn't a bridge over troubled waters. He's a bridge with a foundation that is about to completely collapse.

It's unreal that people cannot see that. This isn't ground breaking news to most NFL observers but it seems to be for a portion of our fanbase.

Really not trying to be argumentative so, scratch Darnold.  Who do you propose instead as the bridge until the new draft QB is ready, keeping in mind cap limitations?  My mental block is that I don’t see much difference between Darnold, Brissett, Minshew so, I would go with the Devil I know over the unknown.  If Brissett or Minshew are better options, help me see it.

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Over these last few seasons I realized this that some in this fanbase loves being fans of bad players. 
Never understood the Darnold fanbase that refused to see what is right in front of their face. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, Shocker said:

I hear you but if we can’t one of the top 2 QBs I would seriously resign Sam and wait.  Our team can get great with these picks and I ain’t done with Sam.  

I'm done with Sam long-term.. but I wouldn't mind him in the short-term while our [insert] rookie QB learns the ropes.. especially if we end up taking Richardson..

7 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Really not trying to be argumentative so, scratch Darnold.  Who do you propose instead as the bridge until the new draft QB is ready, keeping in mind cap limitations?  My mental block is that I don’t see much difference between Darnold, Brissett, Minshew so, I would go with the Devil I know over the unknown.  If Brissett or Minshew are better options, help me see it.

Brissett is ideal because he takes care of the ball and he will usually not LOSE you games. Bridgewater, same thing. Minshew I would be fine with but he was also the QB of arguably the best roster in the NFL this season and couldn't win a game. That’s not good. Jimmy G would be great but not likely to be in a reasonable price range. Carr is ideal but, again, not likely to be cheap.

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, panthers55 said:

So he had a bad game that we won. Truth is he went 4-2 and managed the game well. He made throws and moved the chains. Even with the Saints game he averaged scoring 24 points a game during that stretch which was above the NFL average. And that was coming off IR playing for McAdoo. His quarterback rating was 92 with a couple of games over 100. He was more than serviceable and had Horne played in the Tampa game he would have taken us to the playoffs. You can dislike him all you want but his play was not the problem at the end of the year.  Should be interesting to see what Reich thinks about him.

Good post. Much closer to the truth that the person you responded to  

People refuse to think with nuance and just look at stats with no context. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

10 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Brissett is ideal because he takes care of the ball and he will usually not LOSE you games. Bridgewater, same thing. Minshew I would be fine with but he was also the QB of arguably the best roster in the NFL this season and couldn't win a game. That’s not good. Jimmy G would be great but not likely to be in a reasonable price range. Carr is ideal but, again, not likely to be cheap.

Darnold played 6 games for us this year. 

Can you name one of those where he was the reason we lost?

• Beer 1

I’ve posted many times before that Darnold for two years at ~5mil per year is a great value. At worst, we have one of the league’s best backup QBs on a backup-worthy contract. At best, he continues the progression we saw from him this year and we are paying a mid-to-low end starter backup money. 

Some of the QBs posters here want to draft are close to the same age as Darnold and still have the learning curve to tackle. He’s a 5 year veteran at 25 years old. I think the worst football of his career is behind him and, moving forward, he’ll be a top 20-40 QB for the next 5+ years. That’s worth 5mil a year. 

Edited by ECHornet
  • Beer 1

5 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

It is the strangest thing on the planet to have a following and be such a bad player. 

I will never understand how some people still see him as anything but what he is, one of the worst starting QB's we have ever had. 

I think it's more that FANS of a team root  for their players..  I mean,  PJ Walker has a following .  When either of them are gone,  no Panther fans will be online here telling us over and over how we screwed up letting them go.  

I'm in the school that says there is no generational quarterback on the board this year.  Think Cam, Payton Manning , Trevor Lawrence , Andrew Luck .  So even if we give away all your  draft equity we have to move up to pick Stroud,  he's not coming here and throwing for 400 yards like Cam did in his first game. So I think we will need a bridge QB to who ever becomes out QB pick this year.  

I just hope we roll the dice and pick a QB that available at the 9th pick, and have a decent bridge QB till said drafted QB is ready.  That's why I'm ok with a free agent ( not trade ) Carr,,  Brissett, etc

36 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Brissett is discount Teddy Bridgewater, zero upside and even less dynamics. Great guy, but if I'm going with a middling QB at least give me someone like Darnold that has a chance of making magic happen, a la 2021 game-tying drive vs Minnesota.