• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question about Matt Corral

jfra78

2 minutes ago, TJKJ23xx said:

Last year we were told Willis might be a top 10 pick. Pickett ended up being the first Qb selected and that was in the 20s then the rest rounds later. Every year people have opinions, then the teams actually make the picks. What college staffers say can be taken with a grain of salt but you have to remember the tape and what they say are how the scouts formulate opinions to share with the NFL teams FO that are weighted pretty heavily in the draft selection process. So I would heed their warnings or their not so popular opinions because they have more time around these guys than the likes of Mel Kiper Jr and the other talking heads. 

Difference between last year and this year.

And glad you mentioned Willis.

Hardly anyone had a QB projected top 20 outside of Pickett BEFORE the pro days.  That’s when the whole roll out in spandex went viral and got people excited.

this class.  At least 3 of these QBs were projected Top 10 overall guys a whole year out.  Including 2 guys everyone was saying this time last year (while people were still taking up Willis) that would go top 3 overall if eligible.

3 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

He was also going against a defense played by players who most likely weren't going to make the team as well to be fair.

Ron had his 3rd string and some back ups in a decent amount made the team and PS. Let alone he put Howell in with the 2nd string for a few of his series. Yes Corral looked bad but who didnt under that coaching staffs direction. 

9 minutes ago, Icege said:

We are going to have to wait until the draft to determine how other teams view these current QBs. Many thought that Malik Willis was going first due to his ceiling, but he fell as well.

Sam Howell was evaluated as well, got passed over until the 5th but is on course to start for Washington. If folks stated that Corral was above Howell here, there'd have been heel to pay (I couldn't resist... the dad joke was just sitting there for the taking). 

That's the difference between TV bobbleheads/internet draftniks and actual NFL front offices/scouts. That's why you see guys slide every year that most mock drafters have rated highly or ESPN dildoes hype to the nth degree. That is a small and not very NFL relevant portion of the information that fans can access.

Also, it would be very foolish to be claiming Howell as an NFL success with literally next to no NFL experience at all. That's a very, very, VERY TBD situation, especially considering the mess in DC.

Similarly, although I have serious doubts about Corral's ability to be much more than a 2nd or 3rd string QB, his story isn't even close to being written. He really is basically a rookie this season. Not in the idiot-Darnold fanboy sense, but in reality. He was out all year on IR and he had a single training camp with a bunch of completely unqualified or below average coaches around him. He is still raw clay.

But.....that said....unlike the Corral acolytes, I am not banking the 2023 season on a lump of clay. If he develops, it will be on a timeline that is very unlikely to include significant playing time in 2023. And, that's the way it should be for someone with his steep learning curve. That's what might give him an outside chance to make something of himself in the NFL.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

would also be nice to see Corral and anyone else we draft get real work in camp 

that was another big issue with having all these bad and washed up QBs on the roster last year.  They dominated all the camp work. 

Still surprised that so many geniuses on this board are locked in with their opinion on Corral despite him playing two preseason games w/ the scrubs.  We should probably just cut him now.  

• Pie 2

The report on Matt Corral coming out was he was excellent in decision making.

Played with good anticipation and awareness, processes the field quickly and has the arm strength, mobility and athleticism to improvise when needed and had  shown more maturity as a passer.

For what it's worth, the same reports said Corral fell in the NFL Draft to the Panthers due to alcohol, depression, unreliable behavior, all these were their opinion,not mine.
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, SCO96 said:

I would like to see what Corral under Frank Reich's tutelage in our new offense. I don't believe any QB was going to flourish under Matt Rhule's leadership.

Bridgewater is never gong to be great, but he played better in Denver in 2021 season as starter than he did in his 2020 season in Carolina. He had a career high in TD passes and the 2nd highest QB rating of his career with the Broncos in 2021. Mayfield completion percentage and QB rating improved when he joined the Rams in the middle of the 2022 season. I think even their most avid haters will agree their tenure in Carolina would have gone much better under a better coaching staff.

Coaching makes a huge difference when it comes to QB play. The difference between 2021 Trevor Lawrence and 2022 Trevor Lawrence is largely attributable to one thing: the change in coaching from Urban Meyer to Doug Pederson. 

I don't think Corral is as bad as he looked in preseason. I've seen BAMA fans make post about how they were glad to see him leave Ole Miss because the defense had a hard time playing against him. Chris Simms thought he was the best QB in last year's class.   

"I don't think Corral is as bad as he looked in preseason. I've seen BAMA fans make post about how they were glad to see him leave Ole Miss because the defense had a hard time playing against him. Chris Simms thought he was the best QB in last year's class."

Exactly, people that have actually played against Corral like BAMAs own Will Anderson echoed the same sentiments about having to defend a player who can throw like all get out, run with blocking like a RB or just scramble and throw on the run or roll out on bootlegs and throw on a dime.

Teh huddle would rather show this man all their hate before they embrace him. All I've got to say for the huddle chuckleheads is WHEN Fitt/Tepp put THEIR and our guy out there YOU JOKERS better hope he's nowhere near to being healthy because IF he ends up starting LIKE THEY HOPE, the bandwagon will have shut it's doors by then and you ungrateful children will have to walk all the way back home hat in hand.

I'm taking names.

Oh and here you go...

Screenshot_20221014-152035~2.png

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Played with good anticipation and awareness, processes the field quickly and has the arm strength, mobility and athleticism to improvise when needed and had  shown more maturity as a passer.

For what it's worth, the same reports said Corral fell in the NFL Draft to the Panthers due to alcohol, depression, unreliable behavior, all these were their opinion,not mine.

Nah brotato chip it’s because he’s too small to play at this level and he ran RPO. RPO doesn’t work in the NFL.

All in on Bryce Young no matter what it costs. True franchise QB no question marks. 

7 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Yeah some revisionist history in this thread because I definitely remember size and character concerns being his main hang ups. He was viewed as like a poor man's Bryce Young. 

2 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Nah brotato chip it’s because he’s too small to play at this level and he ran RPO. RPO doesn’t work in the NFL.

All in on Bryce Young no matter what it costs. True franchise QB no question marks. 

Bryce Young would be the smallest and lightest QB in the NFL. 

No thanks

• Pie 2