• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Anybody still not on board?

Mr. Scot

The biggest thing I get from this so far...

This is not a staff build that leans toward a one year "win now" sort of thing.

This is building a machine that can carry us into the future.

And to be clear, that doesn't necessarily mean we can't also win now.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 6

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

You have to wonder with this new coaching staff in place... if we go get a veteran QB like Carr ... its bc this group wanted it. 

I wonder if a huddle meltdown would follow if that were to occur....

I would not be thrilled at the thought of going with another cast-off again.  But what can I do about? It is what it is.

57 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

There were complaints and criticism from some posters when it was announced that Frank Reich was the choice at head coach.

I'm curious whether that still exists or if those who questioned the decision have come around...

I wasn't critical.  I said I would have to wait and see who his hires are before I got too excited.  I do think there was concern that post Matt Rhule Tepper would go too far the other direction and I didn't want us to become the land of recycled NFL coaches. 

He definitely is building a competent staff vs Rhule.  Real curious to see what we officially do at OC and who really will call the shots and shape it

I like the DC hire.   I don't mind some old heads there for consulting.  But defense hasn't been what I was keyed in on with the new hire.  We have been able to pull that off under every HC essentially. 

But the QB/OC direction is really what I was going to base my decision on in terms of getting exciting.  I'm still probably in the trending to hopefully love it camp.  Not there yet with the OC/QB unknowns. 

12 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

You have to wonder with this new coaching staff in place... if we go get a veteran QB like Carr ... its bc this group wanted it. 

I wonder if a huddle meltdown would follow if that were to occur....

Ah, we know it will meltdown.

It will do so if we get Carr, a veteran other than Carr, we get Rodgers or Jackson, somebody younger than them, somebody still on their rookie deal, draft a QB in the first round, draft a QB after the first round, draft a QB in the first round and then later, draft QBs in every round, sign and/or draft no one, or somehow acquire every other team's first round pick next year and announce we are going all-in on a QB in 2024.

Whatever we do, I have a lot more faith in the current coaching staff to assess and find someone than I had in the past (even before The Process).

Edited by Sgt Schultz
  • Pie 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Well I was one that thought we should have hired Reich before he went to the Colts.  So of course I'm OK with it. He was a perfect fit then and I will maintain he is a perfect fit now. Will he be the answer at HC for years to come? I do not know. I think he has the best resume of the folks we've interviewed save maybe, maybe Caldwell.  So yeah, I'm on board until he proves my faith unjustified. 

That's how I felt thinking Reich and Bieniemy were the top two names in that cycle. Then out of nowhere comes this college coach with one year of experience as an OL assistant. I was so happy when he was fired last year and then Wilks almost getting the team to the playoffs honestly soured this hire initially. I told my friends both things can be true as you can be happy cause no one dislikes Frank and the excitement surrounding him, but also the history of black coaches getting leapfrogged. People that said WIlks couldn't build a competent staff were talking about Ben Johnson and Steichen. I don't think either one of those two guys could have built this juggernaut we currently have now. I was recruited by Caldwell at Wake Forest and he is a helluva down to earth guy as well as possessing all the leadership characteristics a coach needs. Growing up a Panthers' fan,  I'm ecstatic about Dom Capers and his young protege. I may just attend training camp which I haven't done in 4-5 years!

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1

This has an entirely different feel to it than the Rhule hire did. This has the feel of how it is supposed to be done.

I was a Wilks guy, but I'm 100% behind Reich now. And I like how things are building. The foundation looks solid so far, I'm just dying to hear who we'll have as OC. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I would not be thrilled at the thought of going with another cast-off again.  But what can I do about? It is what it is.

Carr doesn't feel as much like a cast off as he does like a FU to the Raiders. That place has been a revolving shitshow for years. That doesn't absolve him of his piss poor play obviously, but it doesn't have the same feel as Darnold or Baker. 

• Pie 2

I guess we shouldn't be this surprised at the quality staff Reich has put together. Tepper did say that what separated Reich from the other candidates was how he already knew which people he wanted to be on his staff. I don't think the Huddle has been this excited about coaches. I do think there is a good mixture of young minds and old wisdom on this staff! 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

There were complaints and criticism from some posters when it was announced that Frank Reich was the choice at head coach.

I'm curious whether that still exists or if those who questioned the decision have come around...

I question why it was a vote with inexperienced people, most of whose (3/5) are not even football people. That’s strange. Think it’s a bad sign Tep is still taking a very hands on approach. I also am skeptical that out of all the blunders that came with Rhule, Fit just went under the radar and somehow Rhule’s backwards GM hire is he’s totally qualified and everyone thinks he’s great/qualified. Also very strange. I also don’t like Reich’s stint with the Colts at all, but plenty of examples of coaches learning.

And Reich IS an actual football person. He does know what he was doing so I never doubted his ability to fill out a nice staff.

The question remains most important QB, and is Fit competent in filling out a real roster. I have these doubts and these will make or break Reich.

I will feel much more on board if they somehow finagle moving up and getting an elite talent. Reichs’ offense will look like trash with retreads and game managers.

• Pie 1