• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Interesting twist regarding Lamar Jackson...

Proudiddy

50 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

My man you're not paying him your money.

QB's are going to get paid this is just how it works. You think Burrow/Allen taking paycuts?

This sport is violent these players deserve to make the most money they can. There is no guarantee they will have a long life after football. Get your money players!

I have no problem with players getting paid. My preference is pay the players who have produced in our system rather than offer up three first round draft picks and 250 million dollars only to find out he doesn’t mesh with what we have here. That’s why I prefer the rookie route or free agent route. If it was just a matter of paying Jackson, I’d do it. But you have to give the Ravens a bunch of picks plus still give him the contract and hope he’s more like the QB of 3-4 years ago than the more injury prone recent string. 

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

The Panthers are not trading for Lamar folks. You might as well save your energy for arguing about something that actually may happen. 

Agreed. We are putting together a strong staff to develop a young QB. Jackson and Carr don’t need developing. We are drafting a QB and I wouldn’t be surprised if we are moving up to select one.

16 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I haven't read it or seen it anywhere else across the numerous threads, but was listening to ESPN radio while taking the kids to school, and they shared that Peter King said the Ravens are very likely to use the non-exclusive franchise tag on Lamar, meaning it would only require the contract plus 2 first-round picks. That's also very different than the "windfall of picks" stuff we heard about previously.

Pretty smart move by the Ravens if true. Let Lamar shop his wares and see what he's really worth. If someone will pay Lamar's asking price then the Ravens get 2 1st rounds and a boatload of cap space. If not, they might actually get Lamar to agree to a long term deal.

7 hours ago, top dawg said:

Yes, it is in regards to Lamar Jackson suddenly becoming a bad player. And you know it, just as well as everyone else knows it. It's simply a preposterous notion.

System fit matters, injuries affect level of play, and it's not like no player has ever gone into cruise control after getting paid (especially guaranteed pay).

Yes, it's possible.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

System fit matters, injuries affect level of play, and it's not like no player has ever gone into cruise control after getting paid (especially guaranteed pay).

Yes, it's possible.

He mentioned flopping and then staying injured. There was a delineation, and that's how I addressed the statement. Within that context, being injured and actually being a flop are separate issues. That being said, if you want to look at injuries as flopping or leading to flopping, then fine. The risk of injury is just a part of the game. 

Regarding system fit, I believe that Lamar Jackson can fit lots of systems unlike some here trying to suggest that he can't throw or can't throe from.the pocket blah blah blah. He's an adept thrower as his career passing rating indicates, and he's certainly far from a Michael Vick or even Cam Newton level as far as that goes. More importantly, Reich already said in so many words that we all see in which direction the NFL is moving pertaining to successful franchises and successful QBs. The days of statues in the pocket are diminishing. 

If you want to know about our system and whether LJ would work in it, here is what Reich said (courtesy of panthers.com):

"It's a passing league but you have to run the ball to be a championship team. There's exceptions to that. When you look at the analytics and the statistics over the years. You got to be effective running the football and efficient running the football. That's of the reasons I'm excited about this roster. I know we can do that. We'll get the pass game right. I know we can run the football and we're going to run the football. Because that just builds off the play action. Off the RPO stuff. All the movement stuff. That's what you want to build. What offensively you're always trying to do is to create conflict in the defender. Put a seed of doubt in the defender's mind. Is it run? Is it pass? Is it the RPO? Is it the first level RPO? Is it the second level? Are they going deep? Compliment everything together. It starts with running the football. Then the second principle is you have to get the ball vertical down the field. You have to get chunk plays. All the statistics. All the analytics. That's one of the reasons why I'm excited to work for Mr. (David) Tepper, because if anybody who knows analytics, it's him and all of his businesses. He gets this as much as anybody. It's hard to go 14 play drives all the time. You got to get chunk plays down the field. We need to be able to run the ball, have play action, get it vertical and have the kind of players and quarterback that can do that."

Now you may engage in all the mental gymnastics in the world, but there is no way that LJ is not a system fit for that. But, if for some reason, you want to fool yourself, here is a part that they did not include in the official transcript, but NFL.com didn't leave this part out.

"Reich acknowledged that every quarterback must, at some point, win from the pocket but sounded as if he'd like to run an offense that includes a dual-threat option."

"We all know the way the game's going, right?" he said. "We all know the game is going to a more movement-style quarterback. I embrace that. I love that. We worked with some in Philadelphia, worked with Carson Wentz, and we did a lot of good things with movement, RPOs, play-action, all that stuff. Same thing in the years in Indy. We had some dropback, some movement guys. Ultimately, we can adapt to whatever, but where the game is going, most of the guys coming out in college have more movement, right? That has some advantages."

So, system fit would NOT be an issue. Like I have said before, the only real issue with Lamar is injury. But you can use injury as a reason not to acquire many players. Unfortunately it's a part of the game, and it's not like Jackson has had anything major. Personally, I don't believe that that's going to be the sole reason for stopping anyone, much less us for at least trying to get a deal done if it comes to that. 

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Everybody was saying the same stuff about Watson a year ago.

Watson only played in, what, 7 games last year after missing nearly two years. He improved a little every game. If he sucks the first couple of games next season, then we can all call him a flop.

30 minutes ago, top dawg said:

He mentioned flopping and then staying injured. There was a delineation, and that's how I addressed the statement. Within that context, being injured and actually being a flop are separate issues. That being said, if you want to look at injuries as flopping or leading to flopping, then fine. The risk of injury is just a part of the game. 

Regarding system fit, I believe that Lamar Jackson can fit lots of systems unlike some here trying to suggest that he can't throw or can't throe from.the pocket blah blah blah. He's an adept thrower as his career passing rating indicates, and he's certainly far from a Michael Vick or even Cam Newton level as far as that goes. More importantly, Reich already said in so many words that we all see in which direction the NFL is moving pertaining to successful franchises and successful QBs. The days of statues in the pocket are diminishing. 

If you want to know about our system and whether LJ would work in it, here is what Reich said (courtesy of panthers.com):

"It's a passing league but you have to run the ball to be a championship team. There's exceptions to that. When you look at the analytics and the statistics over the years. You got to be effective running the football and efficient running the football. That's of the reasons I'm excited about this roster. I know we can do that. We'll get the pass game right. I know we can run the football and we're going to run the football. Because that just builds off the play action. Off the RPO stuff. All the movement stuff. That's what you want to build. What offensively you're always trying to do is to create conflict in the defender. Put a seed of doubt in the defender's mind. Is it run? Is it pass? Is it the RPO? Is it the first level RPO? Is it the second level? Are they going deep? Compliment everything together. It starts with running the football. Then the second principle is you have to get the ball vertical down the field. You have to get chunk plays. All the statistics. All the analytics. That's one of the reasons why I'm excited to work for Mr. (David) Tepper, because if anybody who knows analytics, it's him and all of his businesses. He gets this as much as anybody. It's hard to go 14 play drives all the time. You got to get chunk plays down the field. We need to be able to run the ball, have play action, get it vertical and have the kind of players and quarterback that can do that."

Now you may engage in all the mental gymnastics in the world, but there is no way that LJ is not a system fit for that. But, if for some reason, you want to fool yourself, here is a part that they did not include in the official transcript, but NFL.com didn't leave this part out.

"Reich acknowledged that every quarterback must, at some point, win from the pocket but sounded as if he'd like to run an offense that includes a dual-threat option."

"We all know the way the game's going, right?" he said. "We all know the game is going to a more movement-style quarterback. I embrace that. I love that. We worked with some in Philadelphia, worked with Carson Wentz, and we did a lot of good things with movement, RPOs, play-action, all that stuff. Same thing in the years in Indy. We had some dropback, some movement guys. Ultimately, we can adapt to whatever, but where the game is going, most of the guys coming out in college have more movement, right? That has some advantages."

So, system fit would NOT be an issue. Like I have said before, the only real issue with Lamar is injury. But you can use injury as a reason not to acquire many players. Unfortunately it's a part of the game, and it's not like Jackson has had anything major. Personally, I don't believe that that's going to be the sole reason for stopping anyone, much less us for at least trying to get a deal done if it comes to that. 

You don't believe a guy who's missed ten games over the past seasons would (or should) have any trouble getting a fully guaranteed contract?

Dude, you are way off the rails on this one.

25 minutes ago, The Lobo said:

Watson only played in, what, 7 games last year after missing nearly two years. He improved a little every game. If he sucks the first couple of games next season, then we can all call him a flop.

Or if he starts looking for more happy endings. The Browns didn't get what they hoped for, might have gotten what they deserved.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You don't believe a guy who's missed ten games over the past seasons would (or should) have any trouble getting a fully guaranteed contract?

Dude, you are way off the rails on this one.

To be fair in regards to the injury argument against Lamar - a bulk of the games he missed were this past season with the knee issue, and from what I was hearing, some believed he was fully healed a long time ago but purposely sat out because they hadn't extended him, and I can't blame him.