• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers hire their OC

ncfan

4 hours ago, OldhamA said:

An OC that has never called plays - bold strategy, Cotton.

Kyle Shanahan had never called plays anywhere before he became an OC in NFL. 

Shane Steichen had never called plays anywhere before he became an OC in NFL. 

Sean McVay had never called plays anywhere before he became an OC in NFL. 

MIke McDaniel had never called plays anywhere before he became an OC in NFL. 

But...

Thomas Brown has 3 years experience as on offensive coordinator and play caller at Miami.

Does anyone read the linked articles or bios of these guys?

Edited by csx
  • Pie 8

3 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I may be jumping the gun saying this, but IF Brown is the real deal. I say make him the HC in waiting. Reich is already up there in age so who knows how long he will keep coaching. Do what it takes to keep Brown if he becomes a Rockstar, dont let him go to another team. We saw what happened with McDermott. 

There are a few others on the staff who will also make great HCs, like Coach Evero. 

3 hours ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

This place to months ago… “Tepper is an idiot who doesn’t not poo about running a football team and cares more about his soccer team than the Panthers. He obviously is too proud to learn from his mistakes and will ruin this team by hiring Wilks. He’s a clown and is an embarrassment to this team and the biggest joke in the league. Anyone that says otherwise is a billionaire apologist.”

This place today… “Woo! Tepper gets who he wants! We have the best coach staff on the NFL. Say what you want about Tepper, but one thing is for sure. The man wants to win!”

Sigh. Lmao

I still believe most of that is all true. He is behind the worst stretch of a 30 year history. That’s on him. And he is still keeping the yes man ‘GM’ Rhule hired who didn’t stop poor decisions being made, including going after Watson. 

However, this is an A+ coaching staff being assembled and that can be acknowledged at the same time. not sure why it can’t? 

Tepper is a ‘180 guy’ as I have always said. He gave all control now wants no one to have control. He went with college clowns and now goes all pros. Seems he’s dialing in, unfortunately as fans we will have to wait for that.

He also doesn’t like people who argue with him, despite his insistence he does. That is why he doesn’t get along with Payton and Harbaugh types. Reich is a fluid, but knowledgable and easy going guy. Hopefully he learned a lot from the  Colts stint.

And make no mistake, Tepper wants all the credit for turning his mistakes around. It’s exactly why he refuses to hire help. He doesn’t believe it’ll be a lengthy learning curve, however with the Hurney, Rhule, ‘it takes seven years’, and Fit (imo) fiascos it’s hard to not be skeptical.

Nevertheless, he has the right people now, he just simply needs to take his hands OFF.

Oh and get a QB. That’ll be the tell. Fit isn’t qualified again imo to evaluate whether a guy is worth trading up for, but, and hopefully, this coaching staff is and they have some say.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, csx said:

But...

Thomas Brown has 3 years experience as on offensive coordinator and play caller at Miami.

As a Miami Hurricanes fan I can tell you that he didn't call a single play for the Canes. That was Mark Richt's offence.

Does anyone research these guys at all?

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

It's a shame we don't have other seasoned, experienced, and successful OCs to mentor him and help him grow into the job.

The point is - we're talking about what a great staff Reich is assembling, yet he's hired an OC that has never called plays before. Like, not once in a 10 year coaching career.

I'm well aware that Caldwell and Reich have been OCs before (I'm not sure whether Caldwell ever called his own offence) and of course Frazier was the interim-OC for the Colts when Reich was fired so there is experience on the staff - it's just an odd hire for me. 

3 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I would do whatever to keep one around if successful. Reich aint a spring chicken, having 2 top coordinators leave for HC gigs and then having to replace Reich with somebody brand new down road would be tough. 

This... I do not want this to become a Tampa Bay situation 

1 hour ago, LegioX said:

Why does race always have to be in the conversation? Hire who is best for the job, regardless if their white, black, purple, I don’t care. Good grief.

Because for too long some of the brightest minds in football have likely been passed over or never given an opportunity because of the color of their skin. I love to see it because it shows we're willing to hire whoever is best for the job. Plus I hope it will help us get future hot coaches and coordinators that want to come here because we're breaking down barriers. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

11 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

As a Miami Hurricanes fan I can tell you that he didn't call a single play for the Canes. That was Mark Richt's offence.

Does anyone research these guys at all?

While well respected within the Rams organization, Brown has never called plays at the NFL level. His last play-calling gig came in 2015 when he served as the offensive coordinator for the University of Miami.

https://www.thephinsider.com/2022/1/14/22884007/miami-dolphins-request-interview-with-los-angeles-rams-running-backs-coach-thomas-brown

• Beer 1

Even if he didn't have play calling experience this a great situation to cultivate young offensive coordinators. You have Reich and Caldwell at your side. You can see how this will be about taking Reich's concepts and influences and integrating with ideas from the McVay/Shanahan lineage. 

This is pretty much an ideal situation for us and there are several other young coaches in that room in Frazier, McCown to cultivate. Staley too but I get the impression he is more head coach type than coordinator type but who knows.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, csx said:

But...

Look who remembered his old password after all. Welcome back!

Hey You Hello GIF by Regal

• Pie 1