• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF - What would it take for Panthers to trade up for #1 pick

TheSpecialJuan

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think they would've probably stuck to their guns and drafted Mac Jones like they likely originally planned to do. They were doing really well until their wish.com version got hurt.

Trading up to get Jones would have been dumb too, honestly.

He wasn't going in the top ten.

23 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

No way. Young and/or Stroud could end up being busts. One thing is for sure, we would suck for all years of their rookie contract with no first round pick until 2026.  This type of move only makes sense when you have an Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence type qb coming out. 

That is true! I don't see any Andrew Luck or Trevor Lawrence type QB in the draft that I would be willing to give up that many # 1 draft picks to get. 

2 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

Ok, let's just re-sign Sam Darnold and call it a day.

Yeah, this false notion that you either have to make some kind of ridiculous deal or you're stuck with someone like Darnold Is kinda silly.

There are a load of options. You don't just have to go to one of two extremes.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

From what I’ve seen over the years, Frank values processing speed, the ability to do chunk plays (big arm),  prototypical size, and mobility in the pocket 

that’s what he wants and I believe he stated the same in his press conference 

not all coaches value all those particular traits 

in other words, given this years draft prospects,  Andrew luck Lite or a better version of Wentz

Okay, let's say they pull the trigger, dump all the draft picks on the Bears and find out that the QB they chose isn't any good? Does that mean they are hamstrung for years to come?

Not necessarily. The Panthers have been in cap hell for so long we don't know what it's like to have options. Even if they bust the pick this year, they are going to have a pretty good amount of cap room available in the next couple of years. 

It's not the end of the world if they muff the pick. Wouldn't feel good, but so be it.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Htarnation4.0 said:

If we miss on that pick it would set us back years.

Let's accept that the 49ers busted on their Trey Lance pick. Doesn't seem like they are suffering all that bad for it, at the moment. On the contrary, I'm sure they're an org a good number of FA QBs would like to play for. I think the Panthers are working to build something similar.

• Flames 1