• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How Often each team in the NFL went Run-Run-Pass

Ricky Spanish

This was a big post on twitter yesterday. Mainly people were disturbed by the Cowboys. With them being one of the better offenses in the NFL and then seeing that was a real head scratcher. The biggest question is that how were the Cowboys so successful with it? 

Also, was it McCarthy or Moore?

Other teams worth noting are the Packers and 9ers.

we all understand the chicago dilemma.

Edited by TheCasillas

Our problem was only partially the coaching staff.  The percentage of how much was the coaching staff went down on October 10th.  

Ask yourself this: your QB room is Darnold, Mayfield, and Walker.  Add the caveat that there were four years of film on Mayfield that demonstrated what he did relatively well and what he could not do, and we largely ignored that.  How many times would you let the QBs in that room throw the football?  Given our offensive roster, the only reason this should be a surprise would be that perhaps the percentage of run, run, run would have overtaken it (and maybe it did, the chart does not say). 

There were games we should have opened it up more, because the opposing defense was good enough to stop the run.  But I doubt that changes our percentage that much. 

The truth is our best option was to run the football as much as we could.  Going forward that is not where we want to be, but that was the hand left behind by The Process and his roster building.

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

Other teams worth noting are the Packers and 9ers.

I noticed that, too.  I sort of dismissed the 9ers because of QB issues, but I didn't do any research to find whether their reliance on the run coincided with those during the season.  As for the Packers, that was a surprise.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Wundrbread33 said:

I agree that we have found greener pastures, but I won’t forget that Wilks was working with McAdoo and a QB room of Darnold, Baker, and PJ. 

Let’s just thank Wilks for reestablishing some dignity to this franchise and let him go in peace. 

Fair enough.

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Zaximus said:

We'd still be pretty high if you took the last 20 years.  That's how it has been it feels like.

And the reason I was screaming form the mountain tops for an offensive minded HC.  No slight to Wilks, great coach and a great leader, but it would have been more of the same.

• Flames 1

I mean, it may be indicative of a lack of creativity on offense, and/or a lack of a legit QB or skill players (which causes me skepticism). I just think it was a lack of belief in the team's ability to do anything more successfully and consistently. In my opinion, you just have to be willing to do more, or you'll get beat down by the better teams (or even coaches) in the league. I'm not going to hand you a win because I'm reluctant to do more out of disbelief in my guys. I at least have to try more, but that's my opinion.