• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Mortem: Christian McCaffrey

Mr. Scot

He said he was angry at first in several interviews after the trade.

He definitely didn’t ask for the trade.

There is another interview out there where he talks about the events of the trade in more detail.

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

There is another interview out there where he talks about the events of the trade in more detail.

Probably a good watch if you can find it.

There's likely a link to this full podcast out there but I didn't see it either of the tweets quoted.

I know the greats carry chips on their shoulders…but come on. He can’t possibly think anybody thought we were better off without him. One of the main reasons I wanted to trade him was because I knew we would be WORSE without him and hopefully get better draft position to build for the future. Turns out we kind of did get better without him because the whole offense couldn’t lean on him anymore, but that’s far from his fault.

• Pie 7

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Win/win deal. The Niners had a roster ready to compete with a deficiency at QB. CMC is the type of player that can help you make up for that deficiency. CMC paired with Deebo Samuel gives them two very versatile, very dangerous weapons who don't necessarily need an elite QB to thrive. Meanwhile, we were a dumpster fire looking to rebuild and we needed draft capital and cap relief to do it. A big money RB was not an asset for us.

No argument with any of that...

9 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

I know the greats carry chips on their shoulders…but come on. He can’t possibly think anybody thought we were better off without him. One of the main reasons I wanted to trade him was because I knew we would be WORSE without him and hopefully get better draft position to build for the future. Turns out we kind of did get better without him because the whole offense couldn’t lean on him anymore, but that’s far from his fault.

In ways we were. Not based on RB talent but it required McAdoo to design a game plan that was different than snap-qb-cmc.

I have no ill will towards CMC whatsoever. Don't even blame him for the previous two seasons when he was injured. I feel like if we had a legitimate shot at the playoffs he would have suited up much more. I think it was a blessing for him in the long run because he didn't have to play a ton of useless football under Matt Rhule. 

Glad we got some good compensation for him in the trade, happy he went to a contender and a coach that knows how to utilize him as a piece of the pie and not the whole thing. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Hmmm!!! I am just learning this because previously I thought he had asked to be  traded to a team that had playoff potential.

If you take money out of the equation, then it's very difficult to argue that we are better off without him.

But with his contract, I think we will be able to move that money to positions which have a greater impact on the outcome of the game.  You just don't need to spend that kind of money for a RB - even a guy who is likely an all time great.

• Pie 1

I hate that it had to happen.  But we were absolute garbage when we traded him.  He was a major salary cap liability.  No one denies that talent he has, and he's really gone to the best possible place for him in SF.  They love to run the ball, and put guys in space, and win.  He also has a ton of west coast connections with family and friends.

I wish we could have kept him, but it would have murdered our cap.  I still love watching him make plays.  Dude is special, and now he's in a place where the coaches will take advantage of him.  I wish him nothing but the best, except when we play.

We got a bunch of picks to help us rebuild.  It is a very rare win-win for both teams.

• Beer 1