• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers to aggressive pursue trade up to get a QB

TheSpecialJuan

3 minutes ago, Verge said:

The opinions on next years QBs are a lot more varied than this year honestly. Like yes, Williams is a consensus top guy, but outside of that there is a variation of grades on everyone else. You are on the mark with point one. 

Just my opinion..

The waiting on next year plan is a failed proposition.. Because nobody can predict next year prospects anymore.. NiL, Injuries and just having a bad season has changed that..

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Sub Zero said:

Just my opinion..

The waiting on next year plan is a failed proposition.. Because nobody can predict next year prospects anymore.. NiL, Injuries and just having a bad season has changed that..

Absolutely. The number of "tank for Sam Howells" lives in my mind a lot lol

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

Missing out on 3 cornerstone pieces isn't crippling?  Wow! If the QB pans out, it still hurts, just much, much less.  If dude flops, then yes, fugged doesn't even begin to describe the situation.

The problem with the 'move up' crowd is they are so desperate for a QB, while many say they "understand" the consequences of said QB busting, honestly, they really don't.

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

BIG IF.

I haven't read the next five pages yet, but your second comment applies to your first. There is no guarantee that any draft pick will be a starter, much less a cornerstone piece regardless of position.

1 minute ago, Verge said:

Admittedly, I have not been posting here as much. Part of the reason was feedback I was getting, it takes a mental toll to come here and post info you get or opinions you land on and deal with all the blowback from people who could give a poo about you. 

Mainly though I have been working for USA Today full time and during draft season I am particularly busy because I built their entire scouting platform. I watch hours and hours of tapes on guys and type of reports on them and then condense it for public consumption. I also still have my child in the hospital so my time to do things online is limited. 

Honestly Verge ppl have been taking this football forum to seriously and you just got to let this poo roll off your back.. It’s just opinions from strangers it don’t matter…

I follow you on Twitter so I know life has been lifing and posting info here shouldn’t be a priority anyway.. 

Congratulations again on your work and some here still appreciate your info and contributions to this site..

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

9 minutes ago, Verge said:

Admittedly, I have not been posting here as much. Part of the reason was feedback I was getting, it takes a mental toll to come here and post info you get or opinions you land on and deal with all the blowback from people who could give a poo about you. 

Mainly though I have been working for USA Today full time and during draft season I am particularly busy because I built their entire scouting platform. I watch hours and hours of tapes on guys and type of reports on them and then condense it for public consumption. I also still have my child in the hospital so my time to do things online is limited. 

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

• Pie 2

8 minutes ago, Verge said:

So sorry to hear your child is in the hospital. Hope all is well soon.

Thanks for all the work you do.  Appreciate your posts.

• Pie 5

11 minutes ago, Sub Zero said:

Okay I understand this plan on boundaries..

But it doesn’t live in reality..

1. Who knows if next year QB class will be that good.. Both Williams and Maye have another year of eligibility.. With NIL they can easily go back to school and get paid..

2. There has only been 3 recognized perfect QB prospects Lawrence, Luck, and Elway in the history of the nfl draft.. everybody else had ? Marks.. So this draft is no different from the Burrows, Mahomes, or Allen drafts.. Add in the fact that if there are “better prospects “ in next years draft.. It’s almost a certainty that the teams with those picks aren’t trading away their chance at getting those guys..

3. If you have any faith in this new staff.. You also must know that this team will be better and won’t be in position next year to get a QB.. If you believe we made good decisions in the coaching then you must believe this team will be to good to get a QB next year.. So reality is it will cost more to go get 1 next year.. right??

In no world is this draft "no different than the Burrow, Mahomes, or Allen drafts"

Young isn't even on my draft board, his size alone is just something I'm not touching in this day and age of the NFL, let alone mortgaging the future to trade up and get him.

Levis and Richardson both have serious production issues, to the point where neither have the tape to be worth top picks, they're just both guys with good traits that coaches think they can fix their issues with.

Stroud might be the closest thing to a guy with minimal concerns, but that's it, and I don't think he's good enough to move up to #1 to get him when that cost would likely be the 9th pick, 2 future firsts, and both our 2nd's this year at a minimum.

Plus, the argument of "if you believe in this staff, we won't be in position to draft a QB next year" is just asinine.  The Chiefs had the 27th pick in the draft when they went and got Mahomes, and we're not going to be THAT good this year either.  Even if we end up with say the 15th or so pick next year, which seems reasonable, you package that up with multiple future firsts and then multiple other early-mid round picks, you can move up as far as needed to get a QB.

I know everyone is sick of trying to find a QB through other means than a high draft pick, but trading for the wrong one sets your franchise WAY further back than waiting an extra year to trade up for the QB.  We need to have a roster fully put together and ready to compete for SB's before drafting the QB we hope to take us there, that's just how it works with rookie QB contracts these days.

We're close, but not there yet, one more year of filling the holes in our roster can get us there, then bet the future next year on trading up for our guy.

• Beer 1

13 minutes ago, Verge said:

Hang in there!

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If guys like daniel jones and sam darnold get 4 and 5 years to show their talent then I am perfectly on board with giving someone like Stroud 3 years to get his poo together.  3 firsts doesnt cripple you like you think

Starting to believe this as well about the firsts. It hurts like hell as far as building the team.  But the same people freaking out and saying QBs in the 1st bust and argue for finding one in the 2nd or 3rd?

Cool, we'll have 2nd and 3rd round picks to find the new QB if our #1 pick is a bust over the next couple of years. 

• Pie 4

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If guys like daniel jones and sam darnold get 4 and 5 years to show their talent then I am perfectly on board with giving someone like Stroud 3 years to get his poo together.  3 firsts doesnt cripple you like you think

Jones is obviously not worth 45 million a year but he's further ahead than anything Darnold has done the last few seasons. People are scared of a trade up and it's understandable but if we take Stroud I trust this staff to develop him. And furthermore as a person he seems like someone who will strive to improve if anyone wants to know about his character the info is there. There's a reason guys like Sam Darnold who have all the physical tools never take the next step. To him it's just a job. He's said as much. This past offseason he told everyone that quite clearly when he said competing with Baker didn't make him change how he prepared after losing his gig with the team who drafted him. That kind of mentality is why many first round QB's bust. If the staff trusts the guy they are targeting will put in the work after seeing his abilities then make the move.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Cdparr7 said:

Sounds legit.

I think this is the guy that tweeted that the Packers GM was “disgusted” with Aaron Rodgers and got his ass chewed all over Twitter because he never actually spoke to anyone, and later said it was just an “opinion” piece.

Kleiman writes for BroBible. He's not a legit source but the people he quotes usually are. He got fooled by the phony rumor that we were calling about Aaron Rodgers though.

THe guy who talked about the Packers being disgusted with Rodgers is longtime beat writer Bob McGinn. He's as legit as they come.

• Pie 1