• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bryce Young Thread

Jaxel

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Really? Williams is listed at 6'1" 216 and pretty much looks that on the field IMO. That's still obviously not ideal.

I think the most fair relevant size comparison would be PJ Walker. 5'11" and 215. Dunno if Bryce can put on a legit 15-20 pounds to get there but I didn't think PJ's size/height was his biggest issue. PJ didn't play like he was 2" shorter than Baker. For the record I've been sold on Stroud since the Georgia game

His processing is elite. This is #1-A of what separates elites from Tier 2.

#1-B is availability. Can he go a full season and then win us a SB? Can he do that at 28 or 32?Brady, Manning, Brees, Etc almost never missed a start. Brady missed one I think. Manning never. Brees just 11 starts.

I think we can do a ton to protect him, but he’s still going to get hit and at his size a big Aaron Donold hit could end his season.

Draft him if Strouds processing is just not there, but don’t if Stroud is close.

BTW…I fully expect Young will have the better rookie year. The proof will be what happens in year 3-5 when the hits start piling up on that small frame.

Edited by Tbe
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

I like Young a lot. Of course his twigginess is scary, much more so than his height. But his ability to extend plays is certainly next level.  I think anorexic Russell Wilson is a good comparison, but Young might be better at reading the field and making quick decisions. He’s my second choice but wouldn’t be mad at all if that’s who Reich and a Fitterer choose, I’ll trust in Reich’s plan. 

I hope this discussion between Young and Stroud isn’t like the one between Newton and Gabbert (lol). It might sound like Manning vs Leaf but I wouldn’t know because I was too young and did it follow football back then. Hopefully we come out with a Manning. 

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

His processing is elite. This is #1-A of what separates elites from Tier 2.

#1-B is availability. Can he go a full season and then win us a SB? Can he do that at 28 or 32?Brady, Manning, Brees, Etc almost never missed a start. Brady missed one I think. Manning never. Brees just 11 starts.

I think we can do a ton to protect him, but he’s still going to get hit and at his size a big Aaron Donold hit could end his season.

Draft him if Strouds processing is just not there, but don’t if Stroud is close.

BTW…I fully expect Young will have the better rookie year. The proof will be what happens in year 3-5 when the hits start piling up on that small frame.

Brady missed 2008 after blown ACL in first game 

• Beer 1

If Stroud and Bryce switched teams I don't think Bryce could have done what Stroud did vs GA. That all gets into the complexities of game plans and all that but Stroud actually had to show off some arm strength and power running that Bryce just couldn't do on a weekly basis. If you take Bryce you gotta build everything around the offensive scheme like Brees. Stroud seems a little more flexible and gives you a couple more options when teams scheme a certain way against you, force him in the pocket no big deal. Go man, he can run a little more and take a couple hits which was the main question mark until the GA game. Accuracy on the outs is obviously no problem 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Gotta say I didn't like how Young didn't throw at the combine. Stroud lit it up with accuracy, and actually threw deeper than AR. Levis was wearing capri pants so I couldn't take him seriously. Can Young throw 60+ yards standing still? Maybe he can I'm just asking

He didn’t work out because he put on ten pounds of water weight to reach 200 pounds for the combine. Since it’s not his natural playing weight he didn’t want to participate in any drills because he wouldnt be as sharp. 

He knows if he showed up at 185 and balled out the questions about his size would still be there. 

But that’s why he stayed in sweats and wore shoes with four inch heels… so he wouldn’t look like kicker out there next to Levis, Stroud and Richardson. 

Id wager he does some of the drills at his pro day but doesn’t step on a skill to show his weight back down closer to 190. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1