• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tony Pauline: CJ Stroud or Anthony Richardson

TheSpecialJuan

I do think there are question marks with all of these QB's, so it's a major gamble.

Tepper is a hedge fund manager, aggressive and a gambler by nature. His impatience has not served the franchise well so far though.

As a Panthers fan, I'm not holding my breath. The skill set of CJ Stroud is tantalizing, however. I think he's the pick.

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

Panther fans are in no place to make fun of any other team for being stupid, though. At least wait til after the draft. 

You get a lot of heat, but I personally think your takes are the most realistic on this board. 

Never change my man, keep being authentic.

• Beer 1

By the time the draft arrives the Huddle will 500+ pages of draft this gut, no that guy. no this there guy, or  no that there guy. Don't you just love it. With the first int. of whoever gets chosen in preseason the Huddle will have a least 50 pages of we could have/ should have any of the other three. Great times.

• Beer 1

Just now, CamWhoaaCam said:

You get a lot of heat, but I personally think your takes are the most realistic on this board. 

Never change my man, keep being authentic.

I call it like I see it. They got big compliments from me for not dumping Shaq, but restructuring his deal. They get credit when they deserve it, but with Tepper, everything he touches turns to poo, and so there's rarely credit to be given. 

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

“After speaking with multiple sources this weekend including those close to the team…”

Aka, some sources close to the team confirmed interest in CJ Stroud, and some dude at a gas station said they want AR, so I’m going to lump them together to generate responses and clicks.

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

I call it like I see it. They got big compliments from me for not dumping Shaq, but restructuring his deal. They get credit when they deserve it, but with Tepper, everything he touches turns to poo, and so there's rarely credit to be given. 

I have been preaching the same thing about Tepper. Dude has took this franchise downhill since he brought the team. It's a fact nothing you can really debate. Dude paid Rhule 70+ mil to be the worst coach in the NFL. Then he signs these cast off QB's for 3 straight years. Dude doesn't know much about football. Hopefully he leaves the football decisions to Frank and his staff moving forward. 

• Pie 1

Just now, CPF4LIFE said:

What was Said again? I missed it

My buddy said that our eyes are mainly on AR and CJ. CJ was leading but AR is intriguing. He mentioned that a lot of time is being spent on thorough evaluation of those two.

Basically suggesting that it could be one of those two. He also did say "anything can change in a month"

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Passing accuracy, processing speed, football intelligence, and pocket presence are things that make a great quarterback at the NFL level.

Running ability is a "nice to have" but it's not an essential.

CJ Stroud has the quarterbacking skills already. That's why he's a far superior candidate to Richardson.

My point is that ALL of those are quarterback skills. Being able to run and escape the pocket and still make plays aren't only essential, they are a plus. It's not a this or that deal. The QB that has ALL of those skills lost this past Super Bowl getting stripped sacked IN THE POCKET. If it wasn't for that fumble, the so-called running QB would have won the Super Bowl over the best QB that we've seen in a long time. Hurts actually outplayed Mahomes. Mahomes key play in the game was a 20+ yards scramble using a "nice to have" ability.  Mahomes is another QB that has ALL of the "skills". Those skills are WAY more than a pedestrian "nice to have" comment. If Jalen Hurts hadn't gotten hurt late in the season, he would have won the MVP by a land slide. People need to get ready because the QB position is starting to have guys that have ALL of the actual skills it takes to maximize the position. This new brand of QB is going to take it to the next level. Those "nice to have" abilities are becoming more and more important based on the QBs that are getting selected early and the ones having the most success in the league. 

I said this before,  only thing left now is pro days and visits. Stroud already won the combine now he will get to throw again with guys he is familiar with vs the other QBs. Unless somebody has the greatest pro day ever i dont see how the front office talks themselves into doing something else unless they are just that incompetent.

Edited by CPF4LIFE

2 minutes ago, @bonafidebanter said:

My point is that ALL of those are quarterback skills. Being able to run and escape the pocket and still make plays aren't only essential, they are a plus. It's not a this or that deal. The QB that has ALL of those skills lost this past Super Bowl getting stripped sacked IN THE POCKET. If it wasn't for that fumble, the so-called running QB would have won the Super Bowl over the best QB that we've seen in a long time. Hurts actually outplayed Mahomes. Mahomes key play in the game was a 20+ yards scramble using a "nice to have" ability.  Mahomes is another QB that has ALL of the "skills". Those skills are WAY more than a pedestrian "nice to have" comment. If Jalen Hurts hadn't gotten hurt late in the season, he would have won the MVP by a land slide. People need to get ready because the QB position is starting to have guys that have ALL of the actual skills it takes to maximize the position. This new brand of QB is going to take it to the next level. Those "nice to have" abilities are becoming more and more important based on the QBs that are getting selected early and the ones having the most success in the league. 

There's a difference between being a QB that can Run and a Running QB. Mahomes is the former. Hurts started out as the later and has progressed to the former. 

My biggest issue with the running QBs is the increased injury risk. They're fun as hell while healthy, but sooner or later they get hurt, and then there's no telling if they'll be able to transition to the QB that can run category.

And yes, QBs can get hurt on regular passing plays, of course and they might not take a ton of big hits while running, but it seems like a compounding issue the more hits they take. 

Kind of like:

• QB 1 takes 2 sacks and one huge hit standing in the pocket over the course of a game
  • QB 2 takes 1 sack, gets hit running the ball 12 times, then takes one huge hit standing in the pocket over the course of a game.

Sure the 12 hits might not have been big, but he was still hit 11 more times than QB1. Those hits add up over time.