• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Free Agent Updates

Mr. Scot

9 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Can't see the Bills wanting someone like Hopkins unless they also get rid of Diggs.

Diggs is amazing, but he is a bit of a diva at times and needs a lot of passes thrown his way.  They're not going out there and getting someone like Hopkins who also would demand a lot of targets and risk having more games of Diggs pouting like his did late last year.

I think they'd be more looking at someone like a Thielen, solid possession WR from the slot who will settle in just fine getting 4-6 targets a game and be a nice safety valve for Allen for when he can't push it downfield to Diggs.

Diggs has earned the right to be a bit of a diva. He's a threat to take the top off every time he touches the ball. He's an absolute game changer. 

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Isn’t Ekler wanting a trade? Also I think Buffalo was above the cap before they made those moves.

If I'm the Chargers, no chance I'm trading Ekeler to Buffalo, sorry kid, you can sit out the season before we're giving you to one of our main challengers in the conference.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, tukafan21 said:

If I'm the Chargers, no chance I'm trading Ekeler to Buffalo, sorry kid, you can sit out the season before we're giving you to one of our main challengers in the conference.

If they are the highest bidder who knows. The Lions traded their top TE to the Vikings. Anything is possible…

Just now, SmokinwithWilly said:

Diggs has earned the right to be a bit of a diva. He's a threat to take the top off every time he touches the ball. He's an absolute game changer. 

Oh 100% agree, that post wasn't anything against Diggs, if anything it was in his favor as I was pointing out that I don't think they'd go after Hopkins because they want to keep Diggs happy since he's worth it.

If I'm the Bills, I'm going after Hardman and Thielen, two very different WRs who can both have a significant impact on that offense with limited targets and catches.  Hardman to take the top off and keep safeties from doubling Diggs on every play and Thielen to be a 8 yard safety valve for Allen when he can't get it downfield.

Then they can trade Davis or just let him play out his rookie contract and have a nasty 4 WR set they can throw out there in a run for the SB this year.

4 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

If they are the highest bidder who knows. The Lions traded their top TE to the Vikings. Anything is possible…

Hockenson is one thing and they got a 2nd and 3rd for him (giving back 4ths too), Ekeler is so much more of a difference maker who fills a huge hole for the Bills and would make their offense basically unstoppable.

Not sure how much the Chargers will really get for a 28 year old RB who a team will then need to sign to a big extension at the same time, less than we got for CMC for sure as he actually had a decent contract for at team to take on since we had to eat the bonus.

The Chargers expect to be one of the top SB contenders next year, they're not giving Ekeler to the Bills for what, a 3rd round pick?  Seems like that would hurt their chances this year more than help.

Edited by tukafan21

8 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

Hockenson is one thing and they got a 2nd and 3rd for him (giving back 4ths too), Ekeler is so much more of a difference maker who fills a huge hole for the Bills and would make their offense basically unstoppable.

Not sure how much the Chargers will really get for a 28 year old RB who a team will then need to sign to a big extension at the same time, less than we got for CMC for sure as he actually had a decent contract for at team to take on since we had to eat the bonus.

The Chargers expect to be one of the top SB contenders next year, they're not giving Ekeler to the Bills for what, a 3rd round pick?  Seems like that would hurt their chances this year more than help.

I think if anything, the CMC deal last year shows just how easy it is to replace RB production, no matter how uniquely talented they are.  If I'm the Chargers and can get a 3rd rounder for him, I do that in a heartbeat and never look back.

• Pie 3

6 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I think if anything, the CMC deal last year shows just how easy it is to replace RB production, no matter how uniquely talented they are.  If I'm the Chargers and can get a 3rd rounder for him, I do that in a heartbeat and never look back.

Yea, that's what I think they would get for him and is fair.

But I'm not taking a 3rd round pick to send him to the Bills if I'm the Chargers.  They're looking at a couple year SB window with how that roster is built at the moment and the Bills are obviously also a favorite.  That trade would hurt their overall chances to win a SB more than it would help.

Someone else out there that aren't the Bills/Chiefs/Bengals will give them that much for him.

Edited by tukafan21

3 minutes ago, App Panther said:

Just a random question; what is Carson Wentz market value? I figure with Darnold gone we need a backup. Are either him or Brisset taking vet min money? 

Carson Wentz was part of the Colt's problems, not part of the solution.

I seriously doubt Reich will repeat that mistake by bringing him here.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

35 minutes ago, razorwolf said:

PJ Walker is not under contract! Being a RFA doesn't mean they was re-signed. The only RFA that has re1signed is Sam Franklin, S today. 

PJ is gone, although I think he will end up on a 53 man roster.

Even Corral probably isn't guaranteed, especially if Reich plans to only have 2 QBs active.

I think the plan is to start the rookie from Day 1, especially with this Oline.

Still need a veteran backup. Would have been fine with Darnold, but think there's a good chance it will Brisset

Here is a list of my free agents for the coming days.  Not superstars--affordable, practical upgrades. *Indicates my preferred targets.  Comments below:

RB Alexander Mattison:  Plays behind Dalvin Cook.  Good numbers, can catch out of backfield

WR Richie James:   Had best season in 2022 in Dabold’s system.  Improved every year, however.

WR Parris Campbell: Played 15 games in first 3 seasons, but played 17 in 2022, where he caught 63 balls.  Huge risk...Cannot stay healthy.

WR Darius Slayton: Has had 3, 700-yard seasons in 4 seasons.  Durable.  Drop rate slightly higher that NFL average (7.0/6.6)

TE Foster Moreau:  Plays behind Darren Waller.  Good numbers for a #2 TE—more yards than all Panther TEs combined.

TE Dalton Schultz: Probably the player to target if not drafting a TE—overshadowed by younger TEs on roster at times because they just had too much talent at the position. 

TE Austin Hooper:  Nothing special and has been in Atlanta and Tennessee.  An upgrade? 

TE Hayden Hurst: Was injured in 2022—had good game in playoffs

TE Mike Gisicki:  Had a much better 2021 than 2022.  Not used correctly. Can play outside, slot, and on line.  Because he was not used correctly, his value is lower—I think he could be signed on the cheap.

I am convinced that we must find at least 1 WR in the draft and sign a marginal WR as described here.  The 39th pick must be a WR--after looking at this crap.

Grab the Veteran TE, Scott.  Focus on QB and WR in the draft.

Player/age

Position

Former team/PFF Score

Receptions/Yards

Carries/Yards

Alexander Mattison / 25

RB

Vikings / 71.2

15/91

74/283 (3.8)

*Richie James/ 27

WR